Cronian: thoughts

It's pretty good.

I think the reason it had a mixed response is that some people are not really crazy about Mr.V's clean singing. If you're not into Visions or The Focusing Blur, you won't like Cronian. It's like Borky + Mr.V's solo stuff.

Overall, though, it's an interesting album.

Ainoa said:
And Oystein crafts such tasteful, heady, cool as hell guitarwork... and the programming! I almost don't understand how it was conceived... I still ask myself 'how the hell did they think to do that?'.

Personally I think that the guitar work is bland and very basic compared to a lot of Borknagar and Vintersorg stuff. And some of the programming is not that well done (mainly that part in Iceolated that sounds like the drum track was dragged onto the flute track), in addition that many of the fake instruments sound really fake (I'm not signed to a label and I have better sampler instruments!).

I still enjoy the album, I just don't think it's anything amazing, especially after the two have set high standards for themselves.

I know this is a big bump, but I felt it was better to post here than start a new topic, in order to contrast my old opinion and my new opinion.

At first, I found Terra to be a very complex, icy and glorious work. After a while though, as I fully delved into the album, I started to lose interest in listening to it. I found that the guitar work was often repetitive and bland, that many digital instruments sounded cheaply done, and that much of the album sounded like new uses of old Borknagar-esque musical devices. On the rare re-listens I discovered some more hidden parts in the music which reassured me that this album was better than I thought - but it still felt like nothing more than a gimmick at the time. I eventually passed the album off as "good, but nothing spectacular" and left it at that, 'knowing' that I would hardly listen to it again.

Several months pass and I find myself realizing the originality and the (mostly) great execution of the thematic idea the Cronian project had aimed for. Today I really wanted to listen to Cronian again, and listened to the album finding inspiration in it as I once had before I really knew the album well (except that this time I knew it very well).

I don't know what to think... admittedly, the album is at times inconsistent in terms of its musical quality, but when it succeeds it does truly soar. Perhaps my newfound desire for this album is in direct correlation with the return of winter (in Canada, where the winters are COLD!)... or perhaps this album is a great piece of musical work that we cannot fully appreciate without finally seeing through the same iced-over scope of vision of its creators.

If that makes sense. :)

Nick_Perrin said:
I know this is a big bump, but I felt it was better to post here than start a new topic, in order to contrast my old opinion and my new opinion.

At first, I found Terra to be a very complex, icy and glorious work. After a while though, as I fully delved into the album, I started to lose interest in listening to it. I found that the guitar work was often repetitive and bland, that many digital instruments sounded cheaply done, and that much of the album sounded like new uses of old Borknagar-esque musical devices. On the rare re-listens I discovered some more hidden parts in the music which reassured me that this album was better than I thought - but it still felt like nothing more than a gimmick at the time. I eventually passed the album off as "good, but nothing spectacular" and left it at that, 'knowing' that I would hardly listen to it again.

Several months pass and I find myself realizing the originality and the (mostly) great execution of the thematic idea the Cronian project had aimed for. Today I really wanted to listen to Cronian again, and listened to the album finding inspiration in it as I once had before I really knew the album well (except that this time I knew it very well).

I don't know what to think... admittedly, the album is at times inconsistent in terms of its musical quality, but when it succeeds it does truly soar. Perhaps my newfound desire for this album is in direct correlation with the return of winter (in Canada, where the winters are COLD!)... or perhaps this album is a great piece of musical work that we cannot fully appreciate without finally seeing through the same iced-over scope of vision of its creators.

If that makes sense. :)

I understand that the album is somewhat amorphous, but that's a huge part of the plan..and for the discussion about fake intruments and so on..we could of course have authentic sounds or use sample libraries that sound more like the real deal..but that's also another conscoius step. I mean I could have turned the strings into IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonic Orchestra and it would have been a different feeling..but that was not our goal..it was about getting a digital approach to reach a cold musical realm..using lush and warm strings sections would'nt take us where we wanted to go. So our goal isn't to trick people into thinking it's a real orchestra that has joined us.

mr V

at first i didnt like it, then i really really liked it. now im just listening to other stuff that sound more....ambitious to me

Vintersorg said:
I understand that the album is somewhat amorphous, but that's a huge part of the plan..and for the discussion about fake intruments and so on..we could of course have authentic sounds or use sample libraries that sound more like the real deal..but that's also another conscoius step. I mean I could have turned the strings into IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonic Orchestra and it would have been a different feeling..but that was not our goal..it was about getting a digital approach to reach a cold musical realm..using lush and warm strings sections would'nt take us where we wanted to go. So our goal isn't to trick people into thinking it's a real orchestra that has joined us.

mr V
that's an interesting perspective on sound in general, it's kind of funny how now that with things like the Vienna Symphonic Library and Gigastudio that allow you to get a sound that is nearly identical to a real orchestra, people are deliberately using samples & synths that sound digital, rather than sounding "real".

Vintersorg said:
...it was about getting a digital approach to reach a cold musical realm..

I understand completely when it comes to the strings - It really works with that kind of sound on the album!

But that trumpet... is.... horrible... no merit came from using that, in my opinion! (versus a more realistic-sounding trumpet)

darcy said:
people are deliberately using samples & synths that sound digital, rather than sounding "real".

In most cases, this really annoys me. I always prefer the realistic sounds over the digital-sounding ones, save for some exceptions like the strings in Terra.

I understand completely when it comes to the strings - It really works with that kind of sound on the album!

But that trumpet... is.... horrible... no merit came from using that, in my opinion! (versus a more realistic-sounding trumpet)

In most cases, this really annoys me. I always prefer the realistic sounds over the digital-sounding ones, save for some exceptions like the strings in Terra.

well, it's a matter of taste I guess..it depends what you're looking for.. I mean if you listen to brass-sounds in old analogue synths they sound nothing like real brass, still I love the ARP 2600 brasses for example..I tried out many trumpet-sounds for the album..giga samples from many different libraries..they sounded great bit didn't fit Cronian at all..it became too organic when we instead wanted it to be harsh anc cold.

mr V

Terra shows the new vision of Mr V. personally I liked, like Fission or Waterclime, each one of the proyects are directed to different ways... Mr V is a Musical Explorer who don't like to do the same thing through so much time... always looking for something new... I like that though.

The robotic-organic mix-up is perfect. If Mr V wanted to use real sounds, he could did it, but it's not the direction of the proyect, and if he would used real sounds, the atmosphere of the album could be something totally different.

I don't have listened something so cold since "Battles in the North" of Immortal.

Congratulations Mr V, But I'm still missing your Viking voice like Otyg or Hedniskjärtad-Till Fjälls-Ödemarkens Son period :rofl:

Terria is my favourite 2006 album, as well as my favourite Vintersorg Projekt. I listened to it countless times since I bought it early last year. Can't wait for the next album.

Terria is my favourite 2006 album, as well as my favourite Vintersorg Projekt. I listened to it countless times since I bought it early last year. Can't wait for the next album.

Urm its Terra...Devin Townsends 'Terria' album also kicks ass tho :)

Cronian has a lot of atmosphere. Something which isn't so easy to pull off. The music gives off that effect, like a movie soundtrack, it paints the scene for you.

From threads I've seen about Cronian on other boards, peoples main issue is they feel Cronian sounds too similar to most of Mr.V's other projects. I can understand what they mean but I don't feel it's that similar to a point that it makes all songs/albums sound exactly the same. It's like Fission, despite being Melodic Death a lot of the melodies and vocals just remind me a lot of Mr.Vs older folk work, something which I think makes Crater quite lovely. Developing, mixing and matching, just trying new things is what being an artist is all about, Parts of Cronian does sound like Borknagar, but in no way are the two bands that similar to a point which you can't tell the difference, so I don't really see the problem.