Cry of Love

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
Has anyone else ever heard of this now defunct band? They were together for a short time during the 90's and released two albums. They weren't breaking any new ground whatsoever, but I don't believe they intended to. More or less, the band's sound harkened back to 70's rock (i.e. Bad Company, Foghat, and Mountain). One of the founding members of Cry of Love went on to play with the Black Crowes and I assume he is still with them.

I picked up both their debut and sophomore releases the other day and I love both discs. If you like like any of the above bands from the 70's that I mentioned or even Badlands, then check Cry of Love out. :kickass:

~Brian~

Brother is one of my all time favorites. I'm playing in a Southern Rock band, and the guitar players are both huge fans of Cry of Love, we bust out in a little Highway Jones every now and then at practice.

Brother is one of my all time favorites. I'm playing in a Southern Rock band, and the guitar players are both huge fans of Cry of Love, we bust out in a little Highway Jones every now and then at practice.

It's a shame that these guys didn't make it bigger than what they did. The members were running over with talent in my opinion. It looks like one of those cases where much less talented bands got their big breaks, while the very talented bands struggled for whatever reasons.

~Brian~

I'll have to pick those up. I see "Brother", what was their other release? Little bit of a laid back Tora Tora sound to them. If you haven't heard of ROADSTAR, you may want to try those guys out. They just broke up (I think due to the Producer who I believe formed the band) but they have 2 very good hard rockin albums out. I would suggest Grand Motel and then the 2nd cd, Glass Mountain. They release Glass Mountain then broke up not too long ago. I believe they were from the UK.

Found it, Diamonds and Debris. Says the lead singer is Robert Mason. That was one of the singers that was in Lynch Mob. Now I really have to pick those up. Thanks for the heads up.

Have had both for a long time. "Brother" being the first ('93), which got good airplay here and "Diamonds & Debris" being the second ('97).

Not really sure what happened to them except Kelly Holland (vox) left the band after the first album and from what I remember he just did not want to tour....could be wrong though...not the best of memories.

2nd album just did not take off, though I tend to like it more than the first.
Diamonds & Debris was produced by John Custer who was the guy behind Dag (funk type band out of Raleigh who put out two albums).

It's a shame that these guys didn't make it bigger than what they did. The members were running over with talent in my opinion. It looks like one of those cases where much less talented bands got their big breaks, while the very talented bands struggled for whatever reasons.

~Brian~
Definitely, they were great. Its a shame Harvey Danger got airplay, and Cry of Love didn't. They definitely were all very talented. They played with such a finesse about them.

I only have Brother on Cassette, and Diamonds and Debris on CD. If only I had a tape deck to go line in on my computer =/.

Found it, Diamonds and Debris. Says the lead singer is Robert Mason. That was one of the singers that was in Lynch Mob. Now I really have to pick those up. Thanks for the heads up.

That's where I've heard that guy before!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good call! What a find! I came across both of these cd's yesterday, in mint condition, at a used book/cd store here in town. Both were priced $4.95 at the store. I noticed Diamonds and Debris is selling on Amazon for $25.00 when I looked. :kickass:

~Brian~

If you want to check out one of ROADSTAR'S Videos here is a link:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and its strange that I see this topic come up. I was on Amazon earlier today, and was actually looking at some similar artists... and saw that they have some discs in the '4 for 3'm special. You buy 4 discs, and only pay for 3 (each disc is 9.99).

After replying to this thread, I went back and rummaged through my cd collection for artists that emulate the bluesy hard rock sound. Came up with a few names, that some of you might want to check out:

Blue Murder (with John Sykes)
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Full-Moon-Collection-Bad-Rising/dp/B0009OO4KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1196911420&sr=1-1"]Bad Moon Rising (with Doug Aldrich)[/ame]

and honorable mention (because it is more in the vein of southern rock...
Pride & Glory (with Zakk Wylde)

After replying to this thread, I went back and rummaged through my cd collection for artists that emulate the bluesy hard rock sound. Came up with a few names, that some of you might want to check out:

Blue Murder (with John Sykes)
Bad Moon Rising (with Doug Aldrich)

and honorable mention (because it is more in the vein of southern rock...
Pride & Glory (with Zakk Wylde)

I have all of the stuff that you've mentioned above and I agree with you. Pride & Glory is actually a really cool sounding disc if you ask me. It's one of Zak's best!

~Brian~

Have both

BROTHER is an amazing album :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Peacepipe got tons of airplay down here in South florida.

Damn shame original singer didn't stick around

I actually have a four song CD 'single' somewhere which if I remember right, has a few live tracks on it

Check out a band called "The Answer " if you like that groove laden bluesy stuff."Rise" is the disc,and we're talking major fucking potential here! I love this disc more than anything else I've picked up this year.
Cry of Love has not left my player in 10 years.Sometimes its "Brother",sometimes its "Diamonds and Debris",both are classics.Audley Freed was a member of the Black Crowes and also did some work on Sass Jordans recent release,but as of now he is producing in Nashville,haven't heard of any band related stuff from him recently