Cuba -World's Most Utilitarian State?

Norsemaiden

barbarian
Dec 12, 2005
Britain
The greatest good for the greatest number? Cuba seems to get the nearest to this compared with any other state.

When it comes down to the point, what is the greatest concern in life for any human? We fear: ill health; starvation; lack of shelter; slavery; and the destruction of our environment. Cuba appears to be run to eliminate those fears; fears which are increasing for everyone else in the world, fears that free market capitalism thrives upon. Cuba is no utopia, but its people enjoy a level of freedom and liberty that is denied to millions of the poorest Americans. President Bush threatens to take all that away.

Banned url corrupt-dot-org article "Cuba -Democracy Is not Wanted Here"

Um...who wrote that? Because I wouldn't take Cuban propaganda at face value.

I researched it. I have found no information anywhere that contradicts this conclusion - even anti-Cuban propaganda doesn't suggest that there is any state more geared towards utilitarianism than Cuba. I have opened this subject in order to hear serious challenges - or at least acknowledgements. And for a philosophical discussion on applications of utilitarianism and why that is a good thing or not a good thing - in terms of how practical it is.

What sources for the research?

Cuba is no utopia, but its people enjoy a level of freedom and liberty that is denied to millions of the poorest Americans
Because I question that statement. I'd like to see some proof that their citizens have more freedom and liberty than ours.

The greatest good for the greatest number? Cuba seems to get the nearest to this compared with any other state.

Banned url corrupt-dot-org article "Cuba -Democracy Is not Wanted Here"
I believe it, Cuba isnt perfect but theyr doing better than the US in many ways, mainly the health care system. This supposed "third world repressive country" provides health care to all its citizens while many people in America are fighting to afford it.

The United Nations has been pressuring the US to lift the trade embargo on Cuba for years but President Bush refuses each time. After Hurricane Katrina the Cuban government offered aid to New Orleans in the form of money & doctors, saying "we need to help our brothers in America" but of course the US government refused the offer.

What sources for the research?

Because I question that statement. I'd like to see some proof that their citizens have more freedom and liberty than ours.

Here are a couple of sources, the first is an article written by an african- american woman
Free Speech For Some, But Not For All

Elizabeth Wright - 2/19/2008

Is freedom of speech a moot issue at this point in American history? Are those who persist in fighting to uphold the principles of the First Amendment fighting an already lost battle? From several recent polls of American citizens, it would seem that most people are more concerned about avoiding social discord than with preserving individual rights as enshrined in the Constitution.
http://www.globalpolitician.com/24140-race-law-courts-racism

And then I found this

Erosion of Liberty Since September 11

http://www.yesmagazine.org/article.asp?ID=552

But the freedom from hunger and having free health care are two guarantees in Cuba that don't exist in the US.

America is pretty messed up, I heard we have built more prisons than hospitals in the past year. I find it really stupid how we "punished" the people who were involved in the September 11 attack. We gave them better health care than the people who were hurt in the attack. Thats just fucking stupid.

We do build more prisons than hospitals and schools and stuff. That's not in question.

We have free speech in the US. Not "you can say what you want to say without consequences." If you preach white supremacy, most people will think you're an asshole and avoid you. You will be ostracized. I'm not exactly outraged that they disbarred him, although I'm not sure what the rules are regarding such things.
Note, however, that he hasn't been arrested.

The second argument is more valid. It's true, American civil liberties have eroded.

We do build more prisons than hospitals and schools and stuff. That's not in question.

We have free speech in the US. Not "you can say what you want to say without consequences." If you preach white supremacy, most people will think you're an asshole and avoid you. You will be ostracized. I'm not exactly outraged that they disbarred him, although I'm not sure what the rules are regarding such things.
Note, however, that he hasn't been arrested.

The second argument is more valid. It's true, American civil liberties have eroded.

I bet whoever gets jailed for saying the wrong thing in Cuba is either an asshole or an enemy agent.
I know Matt Hale is NOT a white supremacist and that the idea is stupid. He firmly holds that the White race should totally not associate with other races, while White Supremacists (what few there may be) think we should enslave other races and dominate them.

We should not derail the thread onto this topic. Any further discussion of supremacism will have to go in its own thread.

Education too. the amount of literacy in cuba is about 96% i think. Their system seems to work very well, but imo, the best is a system that combines right and left thoughts, just like in Quebec, Finland, Venezuela and others.