cubase recording latency

marios.blythe

Jul 30, 2011
hello guys.. next month i will record a band and its the first time that i actually ''tracking''..i know how the thing going etc BUT i have a question..i am using focusrite 2i4..i will rent a good di box from a friend of me..the question is:
if i put my daw and my usb interface at 1ms and record just di WITHOUT monitoring my guitar/bass and listen just from the real amp head,i will have latency problems or not?i ask this because i will travel to the band city and i want everything to be fine..note that i will monitoring only metronome or superior drummer (if i have problems with supperior i will freeze the channel)
well sorry for my bad english and thanks in advance for your answers

^This is a good point haha. You´ll always have a tiny amount of latency when recording digital. If you don´t want latency, go the 100% analog way. I went from analog to digital, and also got "freaked out" a bit over the latency in the digital world. But, that´s long ago. 7-9ms won´t do any bad at all. If the instrument/vocal you´re recording is in sync with what you/he/she are/is playing, then i wouldn´t worry.

Be careful with such a low setting, the drivers could become unstable and you can get crackling sounds in the recorded material that are not easy to correct. I use my Scarlett 18i6 at 2ms, eventually at 4ms if the project is heavy and I want to feel a little more safe. However that's not the real latency that you are getting. The value reported in Cubase is closer to the reality.

The human brain can not recognize latency below 10ms anyway, so you will be fine !
In my humble experience, using a 64 to 256 buffer, in order to get around 5 ms latency will be a good compromise between low latency (good enough to not be noticed by the musician) and driver stability

Why don't you monitor the incoming signal via the focusrite mixer? Doesn't it have a function to monitor it before it goes through the converter so that you don't have any latency?

Why don't you monitor the incoming signal via the focusrite mixer? Doesn't it have a function to monitor it before it goes through the converter so that you don't have any latency?

Hi Fbarre,

Thanks for your post.

Yes, the 2i4 comes with a "direct monitoring" switch, which enables you to hear the direct input of what is being tracked.

"The human brain can not recognize latency below 10ms anyway, so you will be fine!"

Is that based on science or your experience? I agree with JeffTD that the brain can hear much below a latency of 10 ms. I've recorded with a few drummers that had excellent time and they could basically know if they were ahead or behind the click within 3 ms. This was consistent too, not lucky or gauging by feel. Every time they felt they were rushing/dragging, they identified it correctly. And, when it was brought up for microscopic inspection, they were calling it right up to 3 ms. They heard it for sure (or were incredibly lucky).

Not that it really matters too much - anything around 10 ms latency is not going to throw anyone off terribly (well, mortal musicians anyway).