Cubase SX3: What is the fastest way to edit silence into a WAV-file?

smy1

Apr 8, 2006
Hamburg, Germany
www.faderhead.com
Hi guys,

I've been using Cubase for years and I still haven't figured it out ...

Let's say I have a mono wav file and want to just silence the bleed in between the vocals. Right now I double click the wav file in the track and the wav editor comes up. I mark the section that I want to edit, right click it, then Process>Silence

Is there a way to do this faster? With a keyboard shortcut maybe?

If it's in the manual, I couldn't find it ...

Thanks in advance!

I don't know if it's faster but I'd just cut the objects (in the arrange window) then mute with the X tool.
Edit: Come to think about it, yes it's probably faster and non-destructive.

Hi guys,

I've been using Cubase for years and I still haven't figured it out ...

Let's say I have a mono wav file and want to just silence the bleed in between the vocals. Right now I double click the wav file in the track and the wav editor comes up. I mark the section that I want to edit, right click it, then Process>Silence

Is there a way to do this faster? With a keyboard shortcut maybe?

If it's in the manual, I couldn't find it ...

Thanks in advance!

you can ust "strip silence"..somewhere in the right-click-menu.

I usually used to do the editing in the arrange window, just cut and moove or use the selection tool, highlicht the region and click delete. pretty much the same as in PT.
no nned to open the edit window

yes, cut the region that you want to be silent, mute or delete it (since it's non destructive anyways), and trim the regions before/after the way you want them.

I used to do it in the arrange window but didn't like all the fragmentation that I got ... even if I glued them together later again with the "glue tool" ...

Lasse: can't find "strip silence" anywhere?

Cutting in the arrange editor is your best bet. Use the selection tool, select the range you want to delete, wipe it, then consolidate using the 'bounce' option. I have this mapped to Alt+Shift+3 to try and forget I'm using Cubase.

I got a shortcut for Process - Silence on <.

Press 2, highlight what you want to remove, press <. Removed.
Doesn't matter if you're in arrange-window or edit-window, works on both places.

Yup... use the scissor tool (or hold alt with the pointer tool) and snip it out. Drag to the correct length, fade in/out as desired, and then consolidate the edit's when you're done.

click on event -> advanced -> detect silence -> set levels -> compute->done
Takes a few seconds.

wow, that's really a backwards approach. can't actually think of a more complicated way of doing it.

why not just "strip silence" instead?

I do it a lot for kick drums that are being triggered, if I only have the kick mic to work with as a source, I can mute all of the silences instead of stripping them and finding out afterward that I totally hosed one passage of kick drum, etc. If I run into that, I just click to unmute the part.