Curious if this would work?

MEGA DAVE

Mar 5, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
So I was in a convo with Erkan and talking about room treating. Well I was in a studio once where instead of studio foam the engineer made 2x4 wood frames and wrapped them with black cloth so that the inside and back of the frame was hollow. Would this even do anything to help in room treatment or just a waste of time?

Do you remember more about the placement of them Dave? Were they standing on the floor on some sort of mountstand or where were they? You said they were spaced 4m apart from each other? Elaborate if you can please :)

l_d740b280772d4ada85bada107a15f97b.jpg

nope, no intention of being filled, but now that brings me to a different question, would this idea work if filled with fiberglass insulation or some other material?

nope, no intention of being filled, but now that brings me to a different question, would this idea work if filled with fiberglass insulation or some other material?

Yes it would and it makes quite a difference. That's how I've done it once in the past in a room that was untreated and the difference was pleasant :) I constructed frames and filled them with rockwool or whatever it's called, streched cloth over it and stapled it at the back and sealed it shut. This guy must've totally missed the point when he made those panels because if they aren't filled, they aren't absorbing. It's like building a house but you only build the frame, no walls. It's not gonna help much when winter comes and the snow blows right through your house :)

Yes it would and it makes quite a difference. That's how I've done it once in the past in a room that was untreated and the difference was pleasant :) I constructed frames and filled them with rockwool or whatever it's called, streched cloth over it and stapled it at the back and sealed it shut. This guy must've totally missed the point when he made those panels because if they aren't filled, they aren't absorbing. It's like building a house but you only build the frame, no walls. It's not gonna help much when winter comes and the snow blows right through your house :)

do you mean like this?

ive been meaning to do this, thick for bass thinner for high/mid absorbtion, but i have a small almost cube like room, so i was thinking some home made diffuser would be better for my highs to prevent standing waves, (maybe a mixture of both absorbtion and diffusers)

have you experimented with the home made absorbtion panels erkan? would it be effective enough to be worth doing? im currently in an untreated room but need to fix that as soon as possible, i know any treatment be better than nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
do you mean like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyYUpkpL0gw

ive been meaning to do this, thick for bass thinner for high/mid absorbtion, but i have a small almost cube like room, so i was thinking some home made diffuser would be better for my highs to prevent standing waves, (maybe a mixture of both absorbtion and diffusers)

have you experimented with the home made absorbtion panels erkan? would it be effective enough to be worth doing? im currently in an untreated room but need to fix that as soon as possible, i know any treatment be better than nothing.

thick for everything, thin for highs. Just because you made it thick wont stop it absorbing high frequencies. Diffusion is great if you really know what you're doing but absorption is the way to go for small rooms in general. To quote Ethan Weiner, you can never have too much bass trapping.