Current addictions

Agree about Swallow the Sun, but the Mars Volta is a bloody mess, with occasional interesting bits but the whole adds up to a lawn pizza. I haven't checked out Draconian. The image that comes to mind is that of Nightwish, which is not a pleasant association. Where to start with Draconian?

np, carcass, symphonies of sickness.

Abhorsen: I only have De-Loused In The Comatorium by the Mars Volta, but I like it. As far as Draconian goes, I would start with either Arcane Rain Fell or Where Lovers Mourn.

The Mars Volta is one of the rare bands that is actually making original music...
The musicians are all briliant, they groove like hell, they're unpredictable, they create dense atmospheres, etc.
Saying they have bad vocals is nonsense. It could be you don't like his voice, but the singer does amazing things.
I think it's amazing that a band like that exists, 'cause most music nowadays has been made a thousand times over and over.

The first time I ever heard TMV was live forever ago. The show was terrible, but I do like Amputechture.

Their music kind of grew on me I guess.

I used to be a huge TMV fan until I saw them live and they acted like spoiled rock star brats. Seriously, they insulted the crowd for moshing, which killed the mood of the show, complained that the venue was built on an 'indian burial ground' and left the stage after 30 minutes because of sound problems. TMV is a great bunch of musicians but they need to get over themselves already.

Draconian - Turning Season Within

I have been listening to this album non stop for a week. I fucking love it.

Porcupine Tree - Nil Recurring EP

For quite a while I thought this was really disappointing after the monumental Fear of a Blank Planet album, but then it happened like it has happened before with some albums. 2 weeks ago I just felt the urge to listen to this and now I love it, how weird... I'd heard it many times already and it just wouldn't click and then after some time, at some random moment it somehow does click.. Particularly Normal and What Happens Now are just great songs. Nil Recurring is a great instrumental song, Cheating The Polygraph I like the least.

I also received their new "We Lost The Skyline" CD today, consists of 8 songs recorded live at an in-store appearance in the US last year, really good.

I also received their new "We Lost The Skyline" CD today, consists of 8 songs recorded live at an in-store appearance in the US last year, really good.
I was thinking of ordering this. The tracklisting is great actually with a few suprising songs like Stars Die. How is the overall sound quality?