Custom guitar shops?

cfh11

Apr 25, 2012
Boston, MA
after looking extensively at new guitars in the $1000-1500 range, i came away frustrated at how many guitars are 90% of what I want but cant nail that last 10%. so i have started looking at custom guitar shops and was really amazed at what you can get at carvin for $1500. also amazed that they quote only a couple months for a custom build.

what other shops should i be looking at? probably looking for something similar to an ltd m1000 or ec1000 but with custom color, ebony board, stainless frets etc.

I've been very happy with the 2 carvins I bought. No quality issues. Looking at a DC7X now, but I wish they did offer the evertune. Lots of requests for that on their forum.

yeah they need to get on the evertune bandwagon asap

What about Warmoth? Are they reliable?

In my experience, Warmoth is awesome. I've never had them put one together for me before though, I've always ordered parts and put it all together myself.

It's very simple as long as you can do some light soldering.

Edit: I should mention that they allow you enough freedom, that you could put together something that sucks hard, so if you're going Warmoth, do your research (There's a lot of information to help you make decisions on their site).

Use $1200 for a down payment on a Skervesen guitar. Then pay off the rest when the guitar is finished. They have an order form on their website so you can price it out in about 10 minutes.

I've been very happy with the 2 carvins I bought. No quality issues. Looking at a DC7X now, but I wish they did offer the evertune. Lots of requests for that on their forum.

We noticed it and also had customers asking us about it. With all the information, routing files and support that we offer it should be fairly easy for any company to start offering our bridges. We definitely would love Carvin to offer the EverTune as an option.

Use $1200 for a down payment on a Skervesen guitar. Then pay off the rest when the guitar is finished. They have an order form on their website so you can price it out in about 10 minutes.

those look nice, but not really looking to spend $3000. from the looks of it on carvin's site it looks like i could get everything i want for under $2K. also 6-7 months is way more than the 2-3 months quoted by carvin.

those look nice, but not really looking to spend $3000. from the looks of it on carvin's site it looks like i could get everything i want for under $2K. also 6-7 months is way more than the 2-3 months quoted by carvin.

And that's the time the company quotes, I (and many others) waited roughly 9 months for the guitar to arrive... Talking about Skervesen, Carvins seems to be pretty spot on with the build dates.

I was pretty much in the same situation, I just don't wanted to pay ($this amount of dollars$) for a guitar that is halfway there instead of ordering a custom, for a little more, and be totally satisfied, spec wise.

Custom isn't THAT "fancy" anymore.

One thing you shouldnt underestimate is the customer support(answering mails etc.) and build time. Getting a custom guitar is kinda nerve-racking.

I know SSo_Org is "controversial" and whatnot but if you lurk around a little you'll get many insights of ordering a custom guitar with the brand of your choice.
Plenty of experiences...

@BearOnGuitar:
Just a little question:
I've read somewhere that it is possible to modify the bridge for a multiscale guitar(fanned frets). True?
Thanks

@BearOnGuitar:
Just a little question:
I've read somewhere that it is possible to modify the bridge for a multiscale guitar(fanned frets). True?
Thanks

I talked with Cosmos about it earlier this year. It would be possible if you made your own Faceplate but there are some complications with the routing if I remember correctly. We're already working on offering something for multiscale guitars in the near future.

Best regards,
Herbert

I own 2 Carvins and I have yet to find a guitar in that pricerange that plays better. And they stay in tune really well. Even after flying halfway around the world from the factory to my home, I took it out of the suitcase and didn't need to tune. Or when I haven't played it for a couple of months, it's still in tune.

Only thing is if you want aftermarket pickups in there, you need to do some routing since Carvin pickups are smaller then most.