Custom PC

Hey guys, I just got the following specs off a company for one of their PCs.

CPU: Intel 2.66GHz Dual Core
COOLING: Quiet CPU cooler and exhaust fan
MAINBOARD: Intel DG35 motherboard
RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 677MHz Corsair
HDD1: 500GB Samung Disk
PSU: 500W Seasonic
GPU: HD3450 ATI dual ouput silent cooling
OPTICAL: DVD R/RW
FIREWIRE: 2x Texas instrument chipset ports
CASE: DARC MKII rack case

Total = £608

CPU upgrade to Q6600 2.4GHz Quad core + £65

What do you think?

I wouldn't bother if I were you, unless you really wanted to use Logic. My flat-mate had major trouble trying to get his NIC working in OSX86.

I definitly want to stick with OSX ... thus Logic.

Can you suggest some forums where I can ask about audio-specific hackintosh-issues?

I definitly wanted to build a machine from scratch with osx86-approved hardware, so I had no concerns about compatibility-issues.

The main downside is that they use customized components, and while this means they can offer things at a low price, it means upgrading can be a real bitch, or even a no go in some situations.

That, their miserable failure of a customer support system, and the usual store-bought PC problems are pretty fucking big downsides.

Jeff

Well maybe that's the case in the US, but over here they seem to be fine. Used to hear a lot of horror stories, but recently I've not heard anyone bash Dell.

Actually Dells are pretty good, they're quiet as hell and are pretty well built. The main downside is that they use customized components, and while this means they can offer things at a low price, it means upgrading can be a real bitch, or even a no go in some situations. 8800GT's are a nightmare because they run hot as hell, and then the fan starts revving it's tits off and makes a serious racket, plus they're not worth the money these days.

i never really used one much, just a few years back i got one for a short while and decided to upgrade the hard disk...yea seems pretty simple. the second i cracked open the case i was hit by 2 nightmares.

1: getting to the hard disk was virtually impossible but i pulled it off after about an hour, it was buried right into the desktop behind shitloads of metal plates, screws and cables.

2: once i replaced the hard disk and booted up it refused to go past the bios with an error saying "the system case has been opened. please contact dell support"

so fuck off dell i fucked it in the bin. it was crap anyway, rubbish pentium 4 with like 256mb's of ram. i just stopped trusting dell since that day. sure i opened the site and whatever warranty was left on it (more then likely none) was void due to that but still...dell fuck off locking up computers.

i heard they're still doing this. prob a jumper reset would have fixed the problem but i didn't know what a jumper was back then so meh...yea!