Cutting in octaves

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Is fucking awesome - I've read about it before, but never really consciously tried it until recently, when I realized I was pretty much doing it anyway going purely by ear (in this case, cutting these particular guitars at around 750 and 375). Also, ReaEQ shows the approximate pitch next to the frequency each band is set to, which makes it a lot easier to get in the ballpark (but obviously, the ears make the final decision ;))

Just wanted to share :D And I guess boosting in octaves could be useful too, though I haven't tried (honestly, I'm usually pretty hesitant to boost in general)

This is something you learn very quickly running monitors or to a lesser degree FOH b/c room resonances almost always reoccur on a couple of octaves to varying degrees.

Math time (my worst subject) Lay it out for me bro.
Freq x 2 or divided by 2.

So for example you have "E's at 20.6, 41.2, 82.4, 164.8 etc. etc.
What you'll find is that boosting 164 will give you a stronger fundamental on an open E string dispite being an octave above the actual root pitch b/c of how the harmonics of the timbre are constructed and b/c the brain has the ability to infer things that aren't really there.

Haha, not much to it really, just that I've found if I wanna get rid of an annoying frequency, I'll zero in on it (by boosting and sweeping until it sounds shittiest :D), make a small cut there (no more than 2 dB usually), and then cut around the same amount either an octave below or an octave above (sometimes both) and it tends to sound less obvious - in fact, come to think of it, 375 and 750 are F#'s, and so is 6k...

EDIT: Yup, Egan got it

It's the reason why graphic EQs are divided in factors of octaves, like 1/2 octave steps, 1/3 octave steps. Depending on how many bands you have.

I have done this when getting rid of mud.. example: if I cut -6dB at 630Hz, i also cut 0.5-3dB at 315hz and 1260hz.. (very small Q)

meh... it's a good thing to keep in mind if you're given poor recordings.

but if you're recording your own stuff and notching out a lot... go back and get it right at the source!
the only time I've ever done this is when I was doing restoration work on police tapes!!

So are you saying you never cut anything in any instrument dude, you just get it perfectly right at the source? ;) I'm not talking anything drastic here as I said, no more than 2 dB cut per band! (and I've never encountered an amp with tone controls that centered around the frequencies in question, the only exception of course being amps with GEQ's like the Mark series)

Exactly the same freq's as im cutting on mine, noted by ear also :kickass:

That's a good sign! :D

haha no, i don't mean i never cut, i just don't really like doing a bunch of surgical eq and having to calculate what i'm cutting!
but as i said, i agree it can be helpful for sure..

This is the first time ive properly been using subtractive EQ on guitars. I use to boost alot but now its just a few touch ups with the boosts, the rest falls into place with the right cuts.