VST Bass at low tunings - possible?

red_f0x

Dec 20, 2008
Hi folks,

I've been trying to process my midi bass track, imported from GuitarPro, tuning is drop B. I've tried Hardcore Bass, Broomstick etc. and they all just ignore to play, I mean I hear nothing but silence.
The thing is, when I pitch it up few octaves, it begins to read and play.
But WTF, I play in drop B - drop C (eventually) and don't want to change my guitar tuning because of that issue with VST's. Is there any way to resolve it?
I would appreciate if you can help me to teach that VST bitch to play in badass tunings))

Cheers!

I use hardcore bass when I don't track myself the bass, and I had the same problem. The fact is that its basses have their own tessiture, and sometimes, for a reason I don't know, the conversion from GP to midi makes the track 1 octave too low. If you add +12 of midi pitching it should finish the good tuning. It depends on the moment. Are you SURE the original pitching of the midi file is the good one ?

Do everything an octave higher and pitch it down? lol

I don't know about you, but I feel that recording clean guitars as the bass line and later pitch shifting is the best solution. The problem that most people face is - their pick attack gets shifted down as well, if that makes sense to you. With an actual bass guitar that doesn't happen. So what you do is, blend both the normal and pitch shifted tracks. Put a lowpass of 6db/oct for the pitch shifted track at around 1khz, and a hipass for the normal unshifted track at 1khz. Smash 'em both with a compressor. That way you have the low octave similar to that of a bass guitar, yet retaining the 'natural' pick attack. Also, play with only the neck pickup, but play very near the bridge :D.

As I remember, the VST Trilogy has very very low notes. Im not at home to check it, but I remember that some patches are configured 1 octave lower by default.

I have a song with Broomstick In C tuning and and I am almost sure that the lowest note Is a B.
Forget men, I already understand your problem. You have to raise an octave in midi file to have sound.

I've got to try Hardcore Bass, otherwise I will be pitch shifting my guitar. (

Trilogy has no limit for how low you can go. Instead of sampling from real instruments (like all the other VST bass plugs), it synthesizes the sound and thus there is no limit. If you want that 1 Hz note, you can do it :lol:

I've got to try Hardcore Bass, otherwise I will be pitch shifting my guitar. (

I think that you didnt understand what I say. It already happened to me too. When you transpose some midi files sometimes the bass dont work because its out of key range of the VST and all you have to do is select all the bass track raise a octave.

I don't know about you, but I feel that recording clean guitars as the bass line and later pitch shifting is the best solution. The problem that most people face is - their pick attack gets shifted down as well, if that makes sense to you. With an actual bass guitar that doesn't happen. So what you do is, blend both the normal and pitch shifted tracks. Put a lowpass of 6db/oct for the pitch shifted track at around 1khz, and a hipass for the normal unshifted track at 1khz. Smash 'em both with a compressor. That way you have the low octave similar to that of a bass guitar, yet retaining the 'natural' pick attack. Also, play with only the neck pickup, but play very near the bridge :D.

wowowowo wait, this is interesting, you mean having one normal-pitched guitar and the same DI -12oct? and do the hi/lo passing? if that's the idea, i'll try that!

Yeah, very interesting! I will surely try that. Thanks for the tip :)

Try Slayer VST (v. 1 is better than 2 for bass IMO). It's a guitar synth but it may work for you and it certainly will be good enough for tracking if you won't resolve problems with Hardcore Bass to make it play realtime.