2 guitar riff sound issue

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Hi all,

I've read everything I could here on tips on how to record, yet I can't seem to get a "decent" sound. I say "decent" because so far, I've been working with VSTs, so I'm not hoping to get an awesome tone.

Basically, I am trying to record a guitar riff where there is one guitar playing a "low part" (power chords in the B range of a 7 string guitar, so the lowest you can get using standard tuning) and a second guitar plays a part 2 octaves higher (still in B, but 7 fret, 6th string).

I recorded each guitar part twice, so I end up having 4 tracks in Reaper. 100% panned left/100% panned right for the low part and 100% panne left/100% panned right for the high part.

Listening separately to the high part, with only the 2 panned tracks, the sound is fine. Same logic when listening only to the 2 panned tracks of the lower part.

But when I listen to all 4, it just sounds like "There's too much going on". Do you understand what I mean? I know it's difficult for you to judge without sending you the actual file, but I'm not sure how I can do that right now.

I tried applying what I have read in this forum (i.e. not putting too much gain on each guitar, trying to get as much presence as possible on the amp setting, cutting some frequences using post EQ, etc.).

Each guitar track has the following signal chain:

1- LTD ZH-7
2- Komplete Audio 6 Interface
3- Noisegate (VST)
4- TS808 (VST)
5- Lepou LE456 (VST)
6- Recabinet (Feared Combo setting) (VST)
7- ReaEQ (cutting low frequencies and very high frequencies, that's it) (VST).

And I must admit I haven't tried so far changing the settings for each track. All 4 tracks have the exact same settings on all VSTs.

Thank you very much for your help.

Trying different tone on the two parts would be the first thing to come to my mind in such situation. You may even try panning the higher guitars to the center (partially or dead center) or pan one part left and one right (listen to them with bass and drums - listening them on solo might mess the idea).

wow you ask a lot of questions :erk: this is your fifth thread in 3 days

Try running your ampsimps in a stereo folder :) also remember that a single stereo ampsimp cant process more than 2 stereo tracks at the same time.

105 Hz hi-pass filters on the low guitars, 100% LR panned
185 Hz hi-pass filters on the higher guitars, panned 62%

Think big sti

wow you ask a lot of questions :erk: this is your fifth thread in 3 days

Try running your ampsimps in a stereo folder :) also remember that a single stereo ampsimp cant process more than 2 stereo tracks at the same time.

Ya I know that I do! Sorry :erk:

We're in the process of recording and we're doing so intensively. Moreover, I had been reading forums forever before registering to this one and I guess I might have had a backlog of questions!

Thanks for the info on the stereo folder.