LeCto plugin stereo question

osiris8

Bedroom Guitarist
I have two separately recorded rhythm mono tracks completely panned left and right. I've figured out how to run them through a single instance of Lecto (using a parent/folder track in Reaper) in stereo mode and leCab with two identical panned impulses. I really like this setup as it uses fewer VST instances and hence less CPU, and even better it's easier to tweak the guitar tone.

However - someone on another forum said this is like running two guitars through a single amp, not really an emulation of two panned guitar tracks with their own amps and cabs.

I can't say I hear the difference between the two setups... Anyone know for sure?

If it sounds good, it is good! I personally like to use at least different impulses left/right on my guitar tracks, and slightly tweak the amps EQ and post EQ to give a bit more separation between the two guitars.

If it sounds good, it is good! I personally like to use at least different impulses left/right on my guitar tracks, and slightly tweak the amps EQ and post EQ to give a bit more separation between the two guitars.

The way I play no added difference between the two takes is needed :D

But that aside, lepou's IR loader LeCab2 has separate slots for left and right so you could accomplish that with my proposed setup as well...

However - someone on another forum said this is like running two guitars through a single amp, not really an emulation of two panned guitar tracks with their own amps and cabs.

Yep. You'll notice that if you remove one guitar track you'll lose gain.
What would work would be to run a multi-mono version of the plug, but I don't think you can do that with Lecto. At least not on my PT setup anyway.

Yep. You'll notice that if you remove one guitar track you'll lose gain.
What would work would be to run a multi-mono version of the plug, but I don't think you can do that with Lecto. At least not on my PT setup anyway.

Ah, thanks for the answer - it's what I suspected. I'll use the stereo setup to dial a decent tone and then duplicate the effects onto the two tracks...

In case of multicore CPUs, one stereo instance runs on one core while two mono instances runs on two cores, according to host CPU loading indicator can be better multiple instances. In my case one stereo instance of CPU-hungry ampsim (for example TSE X50) can be equal to 4 mono-instances of the same ampsim :)

In case of multicore CPUs, one stereo instance runs on one core while two mono instances runs on two cores, according to host CPU loading indicator can be better multiple instances. In my case one stereo instance of CPU-hungry ampsim (for example TSE X50) can be equal to 4 mono-instances of the same ampsim :)

Makes a lot of sense. Saving CPU is only a secondary thing though, I'm really mostly after being able to tweak settings in one place...

Makes a lot of sense. Saving CPU is only a secondary thing though, I'm really mostly after being able to tweak settings in one place...

In REAPER you can link controls of different plugings, so when you turn a knob to 11 on one instance of Lecto, the knob will move itself to 11 on the other instance too.

[edit] But it looks like the two plugins have to be on one track... (unless i am mistaken and there is some other way to do it).

In REAPER you can link controls of different plugings, so when you turn a knob to 11 on one instance of Lecto, the knob will move itself to 11 on the other instance too.

[edit] But it looks like the two plugins have to be on one track... (unless i am mistaken and there is some other way to do it).

Excellent - I'm pretty sure that if it can be done on one track you can somehow do it on multiple. I'm a developer so I'm good with scripts :)

I use two (or four) different plugin chains for the guitar tracks, and normally whenever I change one I'll just delete the other one and drag+drop the new one over to the second channel (in Reaper). Not quite as instantaneous as just fiddling with one set of controls but still not too shabby.

I have a question. Is the Lepou's guy on this forum ?
I'd have something to tell him which could be interesting for him.

GREAT plugins really

Really? Shit I have always used this in stereo mode. I'll have to check this out further.

You mean if I've got dual-tracked guitars, and the left one cuts out for a bit, the right one will drop in gain?

Please don't forget to share the results, I'd reeeeallly like to know and I don't fully trust my own ears.

Somehow I think at least one of my songs sounds better in stereo mode - probably means the drive knobs should go higher on the dual mono songs, if stereo mode combines the input signal level...

I've tried asking on lepou's site as well but he's not the most interacting developer out there :)

Really? Shit I have always used this in stereo mode. I'll have to check this out further.

You mean if I've got dual-tracked guitars, and the left one cuts out for a bit, the right one will drop in gain?

I think so anyway, just applying the same logic that I would on using a stereo compressor, which will give more reduction to 2 guitars being fed into it than it will to one guitar. So I think a stereo amp sim would surely act the same?

Just tried this and there was no difference. I'll be sticking with stereo mode.

Note: stereo mode and 2 mono plugins did NOT cancel out when the phase was inverted, but neither did 2 mono plugins and another 2 mono plugins. There seems to be a bit of randomness going on there.

Enabling stereo mode on LePou is creating second instance in same plugin, but you need hard pan each guitar - one hard left, other hard right.
And in that way you won't get one track affecting second.
I'm using FL studio and I don't have problem busing both together and applying LePou or other stereo possible amp sim and add FL convolver that loaded my impulse and it works in stereo, so stereo in - stereo out. You can use LeCab like said before me.
If I need to let left channel go bit into right (so it wouldn't be hard panned) I use stereo shaper and bleed channels.
So if I need something like quad track (or layer with different amp or cab), just create second pairing bus and same thing.
Never make different amp and cab on sides, because I want keep natural volumes and tone for each side.

I do it exactly as Nezvers (and aslo in FL)... +FL has the stereo width control as regular bus control so basically it's like controlling the pan of two channels with one knob.

But guys seriously... what would be the purse of stereo mode if it wouldn't be simply dual mono? I really can't think of any other logical explanation. oh... I can think of only one - powering voltage fluctuations/interference simulation... like when powerful amp is riding the feeding voltage and affecting other appliances by that...