Cutting/Rolling-off snare/kick/overheads/etc.

i've been doing more low passing lately and it's definitely not something to ignore. I guess back in the day with tape / tubes the high end was naturally rolled off or smoothed out, but you don't get that in the digital world.
You can approach it the same way you would approach HPF... if there's no useful information up there, roll it off. Try it out... I don't do it so much on drums but guitars, acoustic instruments, synths, sometimes vocals, reverb/delay returns...

meh hes only banned for a few days
he should watch his attitude

alot of people are getting bashed on this forum i noticed.
what happened to the greatness lol

like..no ones even responding to my threads or posts even ahah

Hey guys, thank you so much for all the responses. For the most part, much of what you guys said is what I've been doing as far as general practices and cut off points (obviously actual implementation varies somewhat based on the invididual mix), but good to know I'm in the ballpark with my common "go-to" settings.

You all get what I'm saying though, it's common to do a hp on the snare at 100Hz and tweak it from there, ya obviously wouldn't do it at 400Hz (not if you wanted it to have any balls lol).

One of the main reasons I posted this was my mixes always seem to have some really high end to them (12k-14k and up) when compared to commercial mixes. In the past I've always tackled this on the master bus with a high shelf, but would like to "get in there" sort of speak and tackle that issue on a per track basis and tame the culprits at their source.

Thanks again!

anyone automating roll off? for example on fast 16/32 kick parts? the sample i have been using sounds like a truck on the fast kicks so i have had to roll off higher than 50Hz. Although i guess the solution here is don't use shit sounding samples...