Cuve EQ Bass Presets

no, i just thought that someone made curveeq bass presets
not that i was looking for some sort of quick fix for my bass tone, but i found the guitar curves fun to mess around with

but well, i have to admit when i first saw the how do mix drums thread i also expected some helpful advice in there

no worries stilllifer, like jorge said "he passed the test." haha. you aint pissed me off man :D i just swear a lot

the attitude was probably a little overboard. after all, you can always use curveEQ to look at the kind of EQ shape that gets the desired sound and learn from it. you don't have to simply match EQs and be done with it. curveEQ can be useful for anyone. sure, it's probably better to learn through using only your ears, but a nudge in the right direction doesn't hurt...

the attitude was probably a little overboard. after all, you can always use curveEQ to look at the kind of EQ shape that gets the desired sound and learn from it. you don't have to simply match EQs and be done with it. curveEQ can be useful for anyone. sure, it's probably better to learn through using only your ears, but a nudge in the right direction doesn't hurt...

Of course, but isn't it at least better to have a good crack at it yourself without curveEQ helping you out, and THEN use it if you're having trouble?
It's a great educational tool for sure man, but there's like a trend where if it's a tool that can be used both for cheating and for furthering your own abilities and knowledge such as CurveEQ, it's generally going to get used irresponsibly. I just think it's better to steer people in a different direction.

I spent the first year of my AE life literally just going about things in a trial and error way, figuring out things by myself, and that seems like a very natural way of doing things. For as long as humanity has existed we have learned things through trial and error.
I think it instills a good work ethic in you, that sorta thing, where you're more willing to try things on your own grounds first and get as close as you can to the result you want without any aids, and then eventually use it to educate yourself rather than to get a quick, easy fix.
It's like the difference between kids who take Music Production at A Level who get TOLD how to mic up an amp and the kids who sit micing up an amp over and over and over again at home in their own time. It shows dedication, it shows you're willing to put the time in.

for example i pretty much learnt all i know about processing bass from advice Ermz put up.

On that note, I should probably mention that I use CurveEQ quite frequently on bass. If not as an actual EQ, then as a rough guide as to where a bass sound 'could' go in order to sound right.

Quite simply, CurveEQ is a stellar tool in terms of showing you how much better your individual elements 'can' be, or adding the last 5 to 10% to your tone, after you feel you've exhausted all traditional processing techniques.

CurveEQ does NOT work well at all if you put it on a raw bass track and just go. You already need to be in the ballpark, after which it will show you where you need to go for that final gain. As such, it's not a tool that works well for newbies, because you can't call up presets and go to world class land instantly. It's just another method to top up and refine your technique. Let's not even get into how much some of these less-than-stellar budget projects can benefit from such fine EQ treatment.

Once again, for me it's an invaluable tool, whether it ends up on the track or not.

As a subtext to this post, I just want to say that it's cool you guys have conviction in what you're saying, but PLEASE try not to get overly self-indulgent in what are ultimately just your opinions. The thread starter just wanted some simple presets, and instead what he got was some regurgitated dogma that helped nobody but the egos of those who spouted it. In fact, we're seeing way too much of this kind of thing around here lately.

Enjoy.

here here ^. I've been using curve EQ programs for a longtime and they've helped me go back to my original source and make some surprisingly severe adjustments. If curve EQ is telling me to add more than 4 DB somewhere i'll go back and try and add more at the source and round/round again.

Im curious to what people think about the actual quality of the EQ? Sometimes i've let EQ curve do the work, and switched to a more respected equaliser to emulate what it had done maybe less harshly.

On that note, I should probably mention that I use CurveEQ quite frequently on bass. If not as an actual EQ, then as a rough guide as to where a bass sound 'could' go in order to sound right.

Quite simply, CurveEQ is a stellar tool in terms of showing you how much better your individual elements 'can' be, or adding the last 5 to 10% to your tone, after you feel you've exhausted all traditional processing techniques.

CurveEQ does NOT work well at all if you put it on a raw bass track and just go. You already need to be in the ballpark, after which it will show you where you need to go for that final gain. As such, it's not a tool that works well for newbies, because you can't call up presets and go to world class land instantly. It's just another method to top up and refine your technique. Let's not even get into how much some of these less-than-stellar budget projects can benefit from such fine EQ treatment.

Once again, for me it's an invaluable tool, whether it ends up on the track or not.

As a subtext to this post, I just want to say that it's cool you guys have conviction in what you're saying, but PLEASE try not to get overly self-indulgent in what are ultimately just your opinions. The thread starter just wanted some simple presets, and instead what he got was some regurgitated dogma that helped nobody but the egos of those who spouted it. In fact, we're seeing way too much of this kind of thing around here lately.

Enjoy.

Yeah, that's the only reason I said anything. The guy got people jumping down his throat over pretty much nothing. There's no point in running off everyone new when they aren't being pricks and just asking simple questions. That clique mentality is the worst part of a lot of forums.

That's exactly my point ermz. Putting shit on a raw track isn't going to do a damn thing to help. Getting 90% there and letting curveEQ do the last bit of legwork is how it needs to be but it's this whole asking for presets thing.
He could have asked for pointers on integrating it into his workflow more efficiently, better usage, just all the general stuff that's been said since. But no, he asked for presets. Excuse my pessimism but since when has asking for presets ever helped anyone become a good engineer?

That's exactly my point ermz. Putting shit on a raw track isn't going to do a damn thing to help. Getting 90% there and letting curveEQ do the last bit of legwork is how it needs to be but it's this whole asking for presets thing.
He could have asked for pointers on integrating it into his workflow more efficiently, better usage, just all the general stuff that's been said since. But no, he asked for presets. Excuse my pessimism but since when has asking for presets ever helped anyone become a good engineer?

Wow - I thought this thread was dead boys!!! :D

In looking back, I can understand Gareth's initial reaction to the "presets" thing - I should have been more specific in what I was trying to convey, rather than use that evil word. I was hoping for "presets" so I could really listen and see where I need to get to on the bass tone... the intent was not to slap a preset onto a raw bass track - I know that's not the thing to do but I should have specified that. Like Ermz I wanted to see where the sound could go... I'll be more specific in my requests going forward.

That being said, I have gone through the forum and found a lot of useful information on bass processing and am currently working on sculpting a better bass tone. Thanks to all who have spent the time to put this information up as a starting point for me to do my own legwork.

Cheers!