What's up with the presets on amp modelers?

blackbull

Dec 6, 2011
Norway
I've been using the pod x3 and pod farm for a while now and I have never been able to use any of line 6's presets for anything. I've always downloaded other peoples tones (as I suck at making them myself). I just tried out Amplitube 3 (free) now, and their presets sucks balls too! The only remotely decent preset was "megagain", but it's not something I would even consider recording with.. WHY?!

Because you're not the only one that sucks at making them yourself.
If you think they suck so much, then you should be able to make a better one yourself.

Because you're not the only one that sucks at making them yourself.
If you think they suck so much, then you should be able to make a better one yourself.
So you think every film ever made is a great piece of art, simply because you can't make a better one yourself(I assume)? No, that's not how it works.. And you would think the people who made modelers in the first place would be able to create presets better than any guitarist ever who uploads theirs.

Mainly because good presets really aren't worth the time making and tweaking, as the tones will all end up vastly different when processed in a mix.

Well if you have a shitty guitar with shitty pick-ups, and that the preset was tested and set with a good guitar with great pick-ups... well, sorry, even with the best patch of the world your sound would suck.

How are you even pluged ?

I use a GT-10 and the modeling are great. This said, I bypass the pre-amp on my 4x12 stack, use only the poweramp and the GT-10's pre-amps.. a variation of the so called "4 cable method". When I skim through the preset, they sound great. But yeah, I just don't plug it in my amp's input.. Hence how I get its real colors.

Experiment?

516841-screenshot_lrg_23.png

yes i'm drunk but this thread is relevant to brick tamblin's interests

Presets for distorted tones tend to be pretty shitty. But for cleans and FX they are a great starting point.

In my honest opinion I dont think its the amp that is the problem it is the cab simulation. I think the best thing to do with commercial amp simulators is to find the right IR for it. Or match eq IR an impulse. Using stock cabs has become obsolete for me. In the beginning when i was new i would use everything stock, but then little by little i stepped away from stock cabs/stock presets. Eventually started using IRs and matching my own, IMO this is the best way to get a good sounding tones. Bypass the cab and try using IRs posted on this forum.

In my honest opinion I dont think its the amp that is the problem it is the cab simulation. I think the best thing to do with commercial amp simulators is to find the right IR for it. Or match eq IR an impulse. Using stock cabs has become obsolete for me. In the beginning when i was new i would use everything stock, but then little by little i stepped away from stock cabs/stock presets. Eventually started using IRs and matching my own, IMO this is the best way to get a good sounding tones. Bypass the cab and try using IRs posted on this forum.
Thanks for the info, I searched a bit and found Clark Kent's collection.. But all i see are tiny wav files, what am I supposed to do with them?

Thanks for the info, I searched a bit and found Clark Kent's collection.. But all i see are tiny wav files, what am I supposed to do with them?

Those tiny wav files are called IR (impulse response) what you want to do is use an IMPULSE LOADER such as KEFIR.

Heres a link. http://vstdatabase.blogspot.com/2011/02/kefir.html

There are many others such as lecab, lecab2, boogx, etc but for starters i suggest trying out kefir cuz its free, personally i use reaverb because i use reaper as my DAW and ReaVerb works great for me (otherwise id probably use sir2 to load my impulses) make sure to make it 100%wet 0% dry (100% mix in kefir). Dont use up too much length otherwise it will eat up your CPU.

Alright now bypass (cancel) the cab simulator and only use the amp (head). Its going to sound really ugly right? well load up KEFIR and and load up an IR, there are so many out there look up catharsis impulses , asem recto v3 l2, orange_2_mics, guitarhack, fredman, gods cabs, Clark Kent Match EQ IR Collection. And from there on play around w the sound. I recommend sucking out a lot of 200-500hz but not too much because you will lose guitar power. I tend to have a dip at 600 hz as well. Oh and if its too fizzy maybe cut at 4000. For beginners try not to cut more than 6db til you know what you are doing. There are a lot of threads on this, browse around and good luck!

Those tiny wav files are called IR (impulse response) what you want to do is use an IMPULSE LOADER such as KEFIR.

Heres a link. http://vstdatabase.blogspot.com/2011/02/kefir.html

There are many others such as lecab, lecab2, boogx, etc but for starters i suggest trying out kefir cuz its free, personally i use reaverb because i use reaper as my DAW and ReaVerb works great for me (otherwise id probably use sir2 to load my impulses) make sure to make it 100%wet 0% dry (100% mix in kefir). Dont use up too much length otherwise it will eat up your CPU.

Alright now bypass (cancel) the cab simulator and only use the amp (head). Its going to sound really ugly right? well load up KEFIR and and load up an IR, there are so many out there look up catharsis impulses , asem recto v3 l2, orange_2_mics, guitarhack, fredman, gods cabs, Clark Kent Match EQ IR Collection. And from there on play around w the sound. I recommend sucking out a lot of 200-500hz but not too much because you will lose guitar power. I tend to have a dip at 600 hz as well. Oh and if its too fizzy maybe cut at 4000. For beginners try not to cut more than 6db til you know what you are doing. There are a lot of threads on this, browse around and good luck!
thanks man this is great. The problem is that I'm on a mac, so Kefir won't do.. Do you know of any free alternatives?

amp presets are pretty bad normally and always too wet. my theory is that either they are random generated by the programmers or they want to force users to tweak so not everybody will have the same sound (which they wouldn't anyway). or they want to show off all extremities that can be achieved but it is hard to believe there was an actual guitarist who was playing them for at least 10 minutes each and was happy to sign them off. on the other hand, the POD X3 does actually have a handful of usable presets (for practicing) that I couldn't say about the Roland VG88 I had. Of all the modeling gear I owned I probably liked the Vox Valvetronix combo the most.

So you think every film ever made is a great piece of art, simply because you can't make a better one yourself(I assume)? No, that's not how it works.. And you would think the people who made modelers in the first place would be able to create presets better than any guitarist ever who uploads theirs.

Dude, what is with the new guys who post here? Fucking attitudes.