Amp modelers for live use

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
I don't really intend this to be a Pod vs axe fx vs real amp thread, as I know the axe fx slays the pod, and I would prefer a real amp over a modeler in most cases. I'm also not intending to use a Pod or Axe fx for any serious recording. I'll always go to a real amp for that.

A bunch of my gear was stolen recently and I basically own nothing as far as a guitar rig goes at this point. I'm trying to decide If I should just ditch the whole idea of using a real amp and sort of "give in" and go the modeler route for touring.

The thing is a lot of the stuff I've been writing for my bands new album has a lot of different effects. Lots of delays, reverbs, and just different tones for different parts. In the past I had always been a set it and forget it kind of guy so I was always happy with a good tube amp with a boost, tuner, and gate. I don't think I'll be able to do that with the new material, so rather than getting a big pedal board and trying to replicate the sounds I need with a bunch of pedals that I don't yet own I'm thinking of going for a super simple all in one modeler type thing.

If I could afford an Axe Fx I would go that route without hesitation, but it's fucking light years beyond my budget for the foreseeable future, and based on the clips I've heard, it doesn't sound $2000 better than the Pod HD. I'm sure the Axe FX is worth every penny, but that's a lot of pennies. Plus having had gear stolen recently has me a bit wary of touring with an uber expensive unit that can easily walk away.

Does anyone here have any experience with the rackmount Pod HD live? Would I be greatly disappointed going that route? I'd like to have maybe a powered monitor for my personal use, but the idea would be to run straight into the board from the unit. While I would love to have a great tube amp with a bunch of sweet effects pedals, I'm not too into carrying that shit around and scrambling to set it up quickly each night, only to have a house sound guy running sound who doesn't really care if the mic on my cab is even pointed in the general direction of the cab itself (based on a true story). Kind of negates the difference in tone quality at that point, haha.

Another factor for me is that I live in a separate state from the rest of my band, so if I were to buy a "real" amp, it would live with them, and I'd only get to play it on tour, whereas I could theoretically stuff a 2 space rack case in an overhead bin on an airplane and take it home with me.

Sad to hear about your gear being stolen, man!

I've just gigged with the POD, going from the FX send out into a Marshall JVM's power amp and what not and the tone was great. I personally suffered because I had banks setup for each song (so my rhythm sound was replicated on different banks for ease of access alongside the other effects corresponding to each song) and I didn't like how the EQ of the tone came out through from the amp since I designed it with the cab model inside the POD (and I can't exactly edit my presets with the craziness of being LIVE on stage).

Don't get me wrong, the tone was monstrous it just needed to be fixed to suit how it was coming out from the amp and all.

In the effects department, it's incredible and will be able to do what you'd want an effects unit to do.

For my live rig I'm looking at getting a preamp for tone, pair that up with my POD for effects and just use whatever amp head's effects loop that's available at the venue. It's very cost effective and allows me to change my guitar tone instantly. Chain would be like:

Guitar > tube screamer > preamp > pod > power amp > cab

If you go POD HD PRO (Rack) and you're setting it up to use it alone for all sound, just be sure to set up your tones in a way that allows you to make edits live with ease.

Hadi

I rehearsed with a Macbook and 2 instances of Amplitube, with an Apogee Duet interface through a PA system: sounded great. Wouldn't necessarily trust this setup for live shows tho but if you already have a laptop and an interface, it may be an option...

Digitech gsp 1101. They go for a good price used and are excellent. My brother uses one live with the behringer midi footboard and its a very versatile and great sounding rig. He uses his with a Marshall 9200 tube poweramp.

It's got firmware updates with lots of extra amp models, eq's and even an impulse loader. They aren't advertised much by Digitech as they're not officially supported but do work.

I highly recommend it for someone who needs to be able to change tone's easily and drastically.

Sounds like the Pod might not be a bad choice for live stuff. I can understand the pod or even the axe fx not stacking up in a recording situation, bit I've never really understood the need to take an ultra bad ass amp on stage, when half the time the soundguy isn't going to give a crap about how it sounds and is just going to randomly throw a mic in front of it and make it sound like ass anyway. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever heard a live guitar tone that really stood out for me, regardless of the rig, so I'm starting to think it might be more cost effective to just rent a good amp for the studio and keep it simple on tour.

Wow, you can load your own impulses with the Digitech? I might have to look into that a bit more. I've always just been a bit iffy about Digitech stuff.

I've never seen an Axe-FX of any sort going for less than around $1200 used, whereas I'm pretty sure I could get a POD HD for around $500 brand new at guitar center. I bought my PODXT pro at GC for about $450 and it had pretty much the same MSRP back then as the HD Pro has now. It definitely helps to have a friend who works there, haha.

Wow, you can load your own impulses with the Digitech? I might have to look into that a bit more. I've always just been a bit iffy about Digitech stuff.

Yeah, look into the updates they've done since it came out- lots of very cool stuff and there's a much bigger list of amps, cabs, pedals and such that they didn't have on the original stock unit.
I've never understood why these aren't talked about more. Megadeth were using them live for a good while and they'd a few other biggish name endorsee's too

I say get a POD HD300/400/500. You'll save money because you don't have to buy a midi pedal to control the unit and it's got everything the HD PRO has.

I own the HD500 and I use it live. No, I'm not satisfied with the tones it gives me but I still use it although I can easily afford a rig at the moment. I just like things simple...

A cool way to get AMAZING tone with the HD500 would be to use a laptop as an impulse loader and set every patch on the HD to "no cab". This way I get perfect sounds. Just don't F up your laptop playing live.

gsp1101 user here.
I switched a old pod pro for the gsp and I can't complaint!
I run it live with a marshall 9200 power and an 4X12 avatar cab vintage 30 loaded.

The other guitarist of the the band use the same setup but he uses a carvin ts100 for the power.

For the price you can get those unit and with the musbebeta firmware you can get awesome tones for a rediculous price.

But we don't use them for recording and will never do hehe

if you want to get a pod, I would rather get a Pod XT Live or X3 Live because you already
got the foot controller with it ;) the Digitech 1101 is really cool imho, the Axe-Fx would be
awesome but it's pretty expensive, not a fan of the pod hd series but if it works for you.

Sorry for the late reply!!

We used the stock cab only one time

We went to a gig, the place was so small we had to let the cabs in the van!
So we plugged the gsps directly and loaded our patches with the stock digitech 4X12 cab. I was really surprise with the result the tone was good. The sound guy was more surprised than us hehe.

I just got the Digi GSP1101 and Ive been very happy with it so far. When you update to the unofficial new firmware and get the 5150 model plus the ability to load impulses on it makes it very very worth it IMO

Lowberg how are you using the Digitech GSP1101 live? With a power amp and cab or straight into the pa system? Or are you using it in the loop of an amp head?

DeclanWhite! I can do a shootout i'll get my gsp at home this week, do you want a shootout with a specific impulse and amp model??