Amp modelers for live use

I love it when a you start a thread and people start coming in and asking all the same stuff you would like to ask. Makes it super easy. :D

Really looking forward to hearing the shootout results. Because of this thread I'm starting to lean heavily towards the Digitech unit. having it all confined to one rack space is a definite plus!

@donkey

I just got it like 2 weeks ago and haven't had the chance to gig with it yet, but at rehearsal I have been using it straight to our PA system with Cartharsis's impulses and it sounds great. If venue's have floor wedges I would have no second thoughts about just going direct live.

+1 gsp1101

Noticed the link to my blog. I should probably re-do those....

I run mine with a Control 2 (phantom powered, individual fx switchable + patch switching) and a Carvin BX500 into the FX return. It is pre graphic EQ and a pre-amp tube circuit. I love it! Weighs nothing, inexpensive, and sounds great.

Yeah the tone isn't as good as my analog FX pedalboard, ENGL Savage and rack FX. It isn't that far behind. But for lugging it to bars and "venues" and rehearsal and writing and all that, it is perfect.

So!! I just got some time to play with the device at home.
As I said before, I use the gsp with a marshall 9200 with a 4x12 avatar cab with vintage 30 speakers.

For this quick test I used my rythm patch (5150model), I changed the 1\4 output setting from tube power to mixer input.
The firmware in the gsp is the mustbebeta vC63
With the power and cab i'm pretty happy with this patch. Just the right amount of gain, treble, bass ect...
For the test I didn't want to edit the patch to compare the 3 scenarios.
(I do not have any recording of my live rig, I'll try to do that asap.

Here's the mp3s with pretty basic riffage, shitty playing, without any eq post processing or what ever.

the guitar is a old schecter c7 with a custom mahogany neck and a dimarzio evolution at the bridge.
The gsp is plugged in a line input of my echo layla 3g interface.
(also don't expect the Olga shootout quality here!!! hehe)

Mp3 with the catharsis spres high loaded in poulin impulse loader:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45785206/gsp_poulin_spreshigh.mp3

If I compare with the sound on my live rig, there is to munch bass in that sample.

Mp3 with the same impulse loaded in the gsp

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45785206/gsp_itb_spreshigh.mp3

If found to sound just to nasal. But I still think I can use that for small gig.

Feel free to tell me that I suck, or those sample are just pure shit!!
or feel free to ask for other tests or if you have any question. I'll have the gsp at home for a couple of days

Cheers!:kickass:

Hey guys - I've actually got a Rack Pod HD Pro and have cab sim switched off when I play live through a 4x12. For a while now with rack gear I've tended to use transistor power amps (currently Rocktron Velocity 300 - 170 watt mono), but having tested the pod HD through my peavey XXX's FX loop (to the power amp) I've come to the conclusion that a valve poweramp would be a good investment.

I've got a couple of questions first though if anyone's up for it!

1. I'm looking at an ENGL e840 which is 50/50 watts. Would 50 watts be enough to drive a 4x12 with V30s? (I find my 120 watt XXX is too much for anything pretty much, and am never able to drive the power stage to its full potential)

2. When I'm running into my XXX's FX loop, it's bypassing and preamp valves.. however looking at the spec of the ENGL e840 rackmount poweramp, it appears to have 3x ECC 83. I was wondering what difference these will make to the sound?

the engl e840 is 50W x 2 (it's a stereo power amp), if you have a stereo cab you can unleash it's full power =]

I run mine at about 2-3, and it's plenty loud enough, above 3 it gets so loud that it hurts like hell

running it with a vht fat bottom cab

the engl e840 is 50W x 2 (it's a stereo power amp), if you have a stereo cab you can unleash it's full power =]

I run mine at about 2-3, and it's plenty loud enough, above 3 it gets so loud that it hurts like hell

running it with a vht fat bottom cab

Thanks! So in reality.. i could run it mono most of the time (I do have my cab wired for dual 8 mono too if I need it)

Do you find yourself using the switchable presence and volume A and B much via footswitch?

no, i don't use it at all. also I keep the presence pretty low, maybe with a tube preamp it's different, but with the gsp1101 it gets brittle very fast when I overdo it with the presence knob

Personally I think that modelers are perfect for the gigging guitarist especially if you are playing clubs or traveling on a budget. I agree that no modeler is going to replace that special amp when it's dialed in and miced with a great cab but in a live situation they are great. They are small, cheap, sound good and totally consistent. About ten years ago I saw a German band that was on a club tour of the US and they played totally direct with the guitarist using a POD2 and through the PA his tone was great yet his rig fit in his gig bag. To that end I just saw Katatonia and Opeth a while ago and both are known for their great recorded tones but also for a fair amount of tone changes, especially Katatonia. But Opeth has been touring with a Boss GT as a main tone generator for years and their live tone doesn't suffer. Katatonia ran all their tone direct except for the drums - two Pod ProXT's for guitars and the bass ran the head direct with no speakers. Katatonia's entire two guitar and bass rig fit into a ten space rack that they easily wheeled off stage after disconnecting the XLR feeds. Oh and they sounded quite good.

So after gigging for years with my 1/2 stack and 12 space rack of processing I've gone totally direct and am quite happy with it. My whole rig is now a 10 space rack based on a POD XTPro. I just hand the soundman feeds from the two XLR outs and all my tones are set including solo volume changes. Total set up time: one minute and unless the FOH dude phukks with my feed my sound will be the same as the last 19 shows I've played. And in a club or even large venue nobody will hear the difference or care except for you.

ATM I'm looking into something similar. I've got an JVM410-Head and I really love it, but when it comes to playing live I just HATE it to have so much equipment to carry with me (Amp, FX-Board, etc.).

So I'm looking into buying a used Axe-FX Ultra or a Pod X3/HD Pro and a decent power-amp + a rather small floorboard (I love Line6's FBV Express).

I think the clips earlier with the Digitech GSP1101 running through a vst impulse loader sound pretty cool. When the impulses are loaded in the Digitech it sounds ok, but not as good.

If Digitech came out with a new version of GSP1101 that played normal impulses and was still around the same price I think they would sell like mad.