Cyanide Post-hardcore mix, what am I doing right or wrong?

KarelKurjama

New Metal Member
Jan 9, 2011
Hai!

So I'm trying to mix and master this song for my band to the best of my knowledge.
Would appreciate any criticism and suggestions on what to do next?

Link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18311051/Cyanide mastering 3.mp3

I've been reading this forum for tips for the past few weeks,
and here's what I have done so far.

1.Drums are made in fl studio.

Bass Kick is double tracked sample „the best bass drum on earth“ which I found on this forum.
First one has pretty wide scoop in around 500hz, and a boost around 8-10khz and copressed with 15ms attack and 100 release.
The second one has a lowpass filter at 200hz and a bass boost.

Snare has a 1.5dB cut at 460hz and a 2.5 db cut at 100hz, and the mic is rolled off at 75hz. Compression with attack set for 15 ms and +8 db gain.

Overheads are compressed a little, but I don't know what to do with them actually.

2. Guitars are recorded with a Pod Studio UX1 using a metalcore patch file I found.
Basically a tube screamer with an amp I don't remember.

Rhytm guitars are quadtracked, panned R100/100 L100/100
And boosted about 2db at 9 khz , 5 khz, 1.5 khz, 400hz and 80 hz

For the lead guitar I used the same recording twice and panned them R100 L100 and boosted the highs a little.

3. Bass guitar is also recorded with the pod.
I used the same track twice. 1 eq'd for lows 40hz-200hz and one for high 200hz+ with distortion.

4. Vocals are shure sm58 throught the same pod with the crunge vocal preset.
Also would like some input on the choir at the end of the track.

5. Ableton Live 8 for mixing.

Huh this is a pretty long post, thanks for reading.
I'd be thankful for any response!

Cheers!

This is a solid first effort but, needs improvement. The guitars alone, need to be completely redone. The second that I heard the bee buzzing lead line; I could not even leave the thread without replying about how awful it sounds.

The clean singing during the part where it's drums+bass+singing is cringe worthy. Honestly how did the singer react when he heard that that was his voice?

Either autotune this to hell and back and make it sound like every other scene core/boy band vocals or simply have screaming only. The later is probably the better option.

During the breakdown part the guitar and bass guitars do not form a cohesive sound. You want the breakdown to hit you like a ton of bricks. Instead while listening it sounded like the guitars and bass were being played through practice amps in an untreated basement (even though it's direct POD). The bass occupies the entire low end spectrum but just sounds like thud, th-thud, thud thud and the guitars are really scratchy/grating.

The drums didn't sound that bad, but then again maybe it's because I was so thoroughly annoyed by the guitars and vocals.

Keep working and you will get better and better. From the sound of it you and probably your band are just starting out and looking to have fun; which is completely cool. This forum is pretty much about trying to achieve perfection so critiques can be harsh but they will help you become better. Also people here have achieved incredible results with gear not so different from your own; but really check out some other amp sims at the very least and use that with a DI.

This is a solid first effort but, needs improvement. The guitars alone, need to be completely redone. The second that I heard the bee buzzing lead line; I could not even leave the thread without replying about how awful it sounds.

The clean singing during the part where it's drums+bass+singing is cringe worthy. Honestly how did the singer react when he heard that that was his voice?

Either autotune this to hell and back and make it sound like every other scene core/boy band vocals or simply have screaming only. The later is probably the better option.

During the breakdown part the guitar and bass guitars do not form a cohesive sound. You want the breakdown to hit you like a ton of bricks. Instead while listening it sounded like the guitars and bass were being played through practice amps in an untreated basement (even though it's direct POD). The bass occupies the entire low end spectrum but just sounds like thud, th-thud, thud thud and the guitars are really scratchy/grating.

The drums didn't sound that bad, but then again maybe it's because I was so thoroughly annoyed by the guitars and vocals.

Keep working and you will get better and better. From the sound of it you and probably your band are just starting out and looking to have fun; which is completely cool. This forum is pretty much about trying to achieve perfection so critiques can be harsh but they will help you become better. Also people here have achieved incredible results with gear not so different from your own; but really check out some other amp sims at the very least and use that with a DI.

Thanks for the answer man.

I couldn't agree with you more on the guitar sound.
We didn't have time to redo the vocals, now that you mention, it really sounds awful there. Will do a retake for sure.

Also I will re-record the guitars sometime next week, will have my pickups changed for some emgs by then :)
Any suggestions for an amp sim?

And what to do with the bass?
Don't actually know how to get that thumping sound out.
Any good amp sims for the bass?

Thanks for being honest. I was hoping to get some harsh criticism
and you're right we're just starting out and wanted to record something ourself as studio prices are really high.

I'll keep on working till I get better.
Thanks!

For amp sims search this forum for "LePou", he makes insanely great amp sim VST's.