Cyhra - The Vertigo Trigger - August 2023

As for who did it, I'm not sure and I'm not convinced anyone would want to take credit. It'd be like taking credit for doing an upper decker. Just not a smart move.
On the genius link you gave, Jesper’s fill-in substitute guitarist, Marcus Sunesson, is not listed anywhere. Guess that disproves that theory. Can’t wait for my early morning workout tomorrow.

Interesting since, a year ago or something like that, they had changed their profile picture to bring Jesper out and the dude was in. And now, who's in the band?

At this point, I think Jesper is in because nobody dared to tell him or because they know that his name attracts attention.

Just listened to the song (till the first chorus). The intro sounds like something from Battles. The song is bad. Just a waste of time.

Last edited:
Coming back from the dead to give my thoughts here.

This song is 4/10. If there was ever a song that was on autopilot, it'd be this one. It starts off with a pretty cool intro, but it just grinds to a halt for the rest of the song. I like Jake's vocals decently enough, save for his enunciation of the title having absolutely no power or momentum whatsoever, but he really is just on autopilot here. Same with everything else. The solo sucks though. I would've given it a 5/10 and maybe listened to it more if it wasn't for the solo, and it's not even because of the fucking wah (Though it is awful), it's because even if you took that off, there is no substance whatsoever in the beginning, and there is only pretentious fucking wankery at the end of it. I genuinely prefer basically every solo from Battles over this one, and I never thought I would ever say that. I can't muster up anything to say other than this. It's better than Ready to Rumble, I'll give it that, but that song was a completely unmemorable 2/10. I can't wait to tell my coworker that I called being disappointed about this.

I don't expect to buy anything from this album. I want to, and I want to love Cyhra, but goddamn it. I still love Letters to Myself with all my heart, but with each release that comes out, I feel myself being less and less able to call myself a Cyhra fan. I hope they make good music soon enough. I can just hope.

Interesting since, a year ago or something like that, they had changed their profile picture to bring Jesper out and the dude was in. And now, who's in the band?

At this point, I think Jesper is in because nobody dared to tell him or because they know that his name attracts attention.
The thing is, Jesper is not in the video, it is the other guy.

On the official Cyhra website they have 3 guitarists now. https://cyhra.com/bio

CYHRA is:
Jake E – Lead Vocals
Euge Valovirta – Lead Guitar (and Bass)
Alex Landenburg – Drums
Marcus Sunesson - Guitar

Jesper Strömblad – Guitar

Yes, the website has that space as well.

The main nu metal riff is a rip off of Linkin Park - One Step Closer

Three guitarists for a band that can't even create one good guitar line nowadays.

The thing is, Jesper is not in the video, it is the other guy.

On the official Cyhra website they have 3 guitarists now. https://cyhra.com/bio

CYHRA is:
Jake E – Lead Vocals
Euge Valovirta – Lead Guitar (and Bass)
Alex Landenburg – Drums
Marcus Sunesson - Guitar

Jesper Strömblad – Guitar

Yes, the website has that space as well.
It feels like improvisation. Like when they removed Jesper from the Facebook banner without saying shit. Then, someone asked them if Jesper was still in the band and they replied that he was still involved somehow but without specifying how.

At least there were things about Ready to Rumble that made me laugh, even if the song sucked. Hurricane is just straight up shit.

Just think that somebody spent years working on this, and the result is 3 minutes of nothingness and a shit video to go along with it. Wow.

Reactions: eochaid
Technically now over 7 minutes of nothingness and two shit videos.

LtM might as well have been a completely different band. Maybe Peter is the key, the hidden maestro.

Reactions: Xpyro125
I basically agree with Xypro here.

To be honest with you guys, I like the verse vocals. I think Jake sounds pretty good. I also liked the verse of Ready to Rumble. I think overall this song is better than ready to rumble because it’s less annoying. Even though the two songs are about the same length, I did not get sick of this song due to repetition. With Ready to Rumble, I was done after about 50 seconds.

I think Jake is actually, the strongest part of Life is a Hurricane. The opening riff repeated throughout like a chorus is pure LinkIn Flames. It might be the riff Jesper wanted to do 20 years ago, but couldn’t because he would’ve been shamed. But it is not that good. For reference I actually like the first Linkin Park album. Agree with the comparisons to Underneath My Skin.

The solo is pretty chaotic and noisy, but I have to give them the benefit of the doubt because the song is about a hurricane, so maybe they were trying to sonically reproduce what a hurricane would sound like if it were a guitar solo. But it doesn’t really sound that good.

But the verse and chorus sections are not that bad. Like I said, I made it to the end. 4/10 is probably about right. With some additional riffs, cooler guitar work, and maybe screams or growls from Jake to show some more emotion during the chorus, it would have been stronger. The songwriting is OK. Better than Ready to Rumble.

Reactions: Xpyro125
Also, for reference, I’m a little different than you guys. I don’t love Letters to Myself. If Jesper had not played on it I would never listen to it again. It’s just kind of generic to me. This is similar. I was disappointed with the last album but I’ve learned better. So I’m not really that let down here, it’s kind of what I expected. More MILF rock.

Your review reminded me a little of a classic AVGN bit, adapted below for reference:

"We've all misunderstood Life is a Hurricane. We've been so focused on enjoying it as music that we forgot to appreciate what it's telling us, the experience it's giving us. This isn't just a song to be listened to and enjoyed, it's the musical equivilent of being inside a hurricane. The ominous starting riffs warn us of the impending danger. The obnoxious squeals of the lead guitar during the intro are in fact a warning that we have been sucked into the hurricane. The music slowing down and Jake's soft crooning may be the exact same thing that's happened in 90% of Cyhra songs, but in this track it signifies that you've reached the eye of the storm, where all is peaceful and your inner thoughts are all you have to comfort you. The intro riffs remind you of the impending danger, before we return to the eye of the storm for further reflection on life. The solo, which on the surface is nothing more than a messy, chaotic disaster, is in fact the sonic reproduction of the hurricane as it pulls you back in, away from the safe space you had been occupying. The final riffs take you back to the very beginning, a reminder that life, like a hurricane, is cyclical and everything ultimately returns to where it once had been. We were wrong about this track, judging it as a bad song fails to take into account the inttricate details hidden beneath the surface, making this more than just a song - it's a musical experience that you have to suffer through to understand the true force of a hurricane, and how it impacts your life. This track transcends simple artistic endeavour and expands to become one with the cosmos itself, creating an intimate understanding of how we as a species struggle to survive against the hurricane that is life. Something, much like the lead guitar, we can at times barely comprehend.

.... -frowns, looking irritated- Or... you could just say the song fucking sucks."

Some interesting informartion in this article.

CYHRA have already released two highly acclaimed albums, proving that they’ve forged their own identity and sound.

Yeah, that's one way of putting it. Not that the article explains what this identity or sound is.

Drummer Alex Landenburg adds:
“Life Is A Hurricane was one of the first songs we wrote for the new album. It’s one of these songs where the vocal melody and the rhythm are tightly connected and really complement each other. It’s probably also our best video so far.”

If it was one of the first songs they wrote for the album, then Jesper wouldn't have been involved, as he said himself that he wasn't involved at all in the first 5/6 songs written for this album in the interview he did a few months back.

Guitarist Euge Valovirta echoes the sentiment:
“A hurricane of a song it is! It starts with a heavy riff and a guitar solo so what’s a better way to start a song than that? Hope you all enjoy it!

I can think of better ways to start than this, Euge, and I did not enjoy it.

Recorded in the summer/autumn of 2022, The Vertigo Trigger is the band’s darkest album to date.

Really? The first two tracks don't exactly give me a 'dark' vibe. They're just typical pop-metal.

The album was entirely self-produced and mixed by guitarist Euge Valovirta, whilst the mastering was handled by long-term producer Jacob Hansen.

Well, one thing I will say is that the production and mixing is fine for what the music is, so I guess Euge did a good enough job on that side of things. I haven't noticed anything especially bad from a production or mixing perspective, anyway.

This new album offers fans the classic CYHRA sound, full of the band’s trademarks, but fresh and refined. The Swedes have modernised their song writing meaning that no CYHRA fan will be disappointed, making The Vertigo Trigger a more than worthy successor to their first two albums.

I'm not sure what this means beyond being meaningless hyperbole. Nothing about the first two tracks is fresh or refined, it's simple and basic. 'Modernised' song writing also means what, exactly? Less interesting? In terms of no Cyhra fan being disappointed... well, I'm a fan of the first album and a few tracks from the second album, and I'm disappointed, so I disagree.

And although guitarist Jesper Strömblad isn’t a part of CYHRA‘s live shows currently, he was deeply involved in the writing and recording process of the album. Therefore, the band can hardly wait for his return as soon as he is ready again.

Hmmm, this directly contradicts Jesper's own words where he made it clear he hadn't been involved the writing of over half the songs on the album, unless they ditched a bunch of the earlier songs and recorded a batch of totally new ones in the winter, but the article also says

Recorded in the summer/autumn of 2022

So, if the whole thing was written and recorded back then, it would mean Jesper had no involvement whatsoever... that or he wasn't telling the truth when interviewed. I don't know. Either way it leads me to believe he had no input in Life is a Hurricane at the very least.

So, if the whole thing was written and recorded back then, it would mean Jesper had no involvement whatsoever... that or he wasn't telling the truth when interviewed. I don't know. Either way it leads me to believe he had no input in Life is a Hurricane at the very least.
Nice detective work. Which interview and circa are you talking about, for reference?

Jesper: Lunatic or Liar

Nice detective work. Which interview and circa are you talking about, for reference?

Jesper: Lunatic or Liar

I think it was the interview posted in p45 of THE thread back at the end of August:

Reactions: galvanized
Hooray, contradictory information and statements that the band are making to hype up the single and album because they have to do so for the newest thing. Also, going based off of the titles of the tracks alone, no, this will absolutely not be the darkest Cyhra album yet.

I get that Letters could give a motherfucker type 2 diabetes with how melodic it was, but at least it actually had quality writing both instrumentally and lyrically.

I will also say that I actually do agree with Euge that a guitar solo in the intro was actually a great way to start the song. It's just too bad that the song peaked there.

Hooray, contradictory information and statements that the band are making to hype up the single and album because they have to do so for the newest thing. Also, going based off of the titles of the tracks alone, no, this will absolutely not be the darkest Cyhra album yet.

I get that Letters could give a motherfucker type 2 diabetes with how melodic it was, but at least it actually had quality writing both instrumentally and lyrically.
Despite its melodic nature, I'd say Letters was quite dark and had a distinctly gothic undertone in places. Halos and what we've heard so far from VT are just hard rock/pop metal. Nothing especially dark about either of them.

I will also say that I actually do agree with Euge that a guitar solo in the intro was actually a great way to start the song. It's just too bad that the song peaked there.

The idea is fine in theory, but the "solo" is just a screeching noise. It makes Bjorn's solo at the start of Rusted Fail sound like Mozart in comparison.

The idea is fine in theory, but the "solo" is just a screeching noise. It makes Bjorn's solo at the start of Rusted Fail sound like Mozart in comparison.
Yeah, I am actually shocked someone as good as Euge would call that a solo. It’s just some shit he made up in 45 seconds. It’s like what, 5 notes with bending + heavy wah. You can’t call that a solo. It’s just intro guitar work (edit: and not good guitar work either, agree it is just screeching noise)

A REAL solo intro for comparison:

Last edited: