Cyhra - The Vertigo Trigger - August 2023

Also didn't Jesper say in this interview last August that Cyhra 3 would be out in January? We're now in June and only just hearing the second single. Is this a record label thing, or are these guys just lazy as fuck?

I’m betting this one will have a heavy Jesper influence with one lifted Clayman riff.

In Jesper We Trust

Last edited:
Also didn't Jesper say in this interview last August that Cyhra 3 would be out in January? We're now in June and only just hearing the second single. Is this a record label thing, or are these guys just lazy as fuck?
They released the first single to support that initial schedule. So who knows.

The second album had long delays too. I guessed last time that they were trying to negotiate hard with the labels. IMO the band think they are hot shit and think they are sitting on gold. But the labels know better and deal with this kind of arrogance everyday. Maybe this time they let Jesper actually write something and Cyhra 3 will be amazing. Or at least mediocre without giving us all a case of blue balls.

Only just seen this - apparently they've been playing their new songs on tour, so I can only assume it's the record label dragging the album release out.

New songs, assuming that setlist is accurate:

"Ashlight", "Let's Have My Story Told", "Life is a Hurricane", "1,000,000 Fahrenheit", "Live a Little".

So, what, they're a hard rock band now? Sounds like a bunch of titles from a Bon Jovi or Scorpions album. Also Amaranthe did a song called "1,000,000 Lightyears Away" so it's a bit cheap for Jake to rip that off.

Lmao, I was just joking about Bon Jovi, then I see they actually did a cover of Bon Jovi's "Bed of Roses" on one of the other Japan shows. Turns out I can't make it up.

So, what, they're a hard rock band now? Sounds like a bunch of titles from a Bon Jovi or Scorpions album. Also Amaranthe did a song called "1,000,000 Lightyears Away" so it's a bit cheap for Jake to rip that off.

Lmao, I was just joking about Bon Jovi, then I see they actually did a cover of Bon Jovi's "Bed of Roses" on one of the other Japan shows. Turns out I can't make it up.
I’m not surprised. That is the image and musical direction they have been going for. They are not a true metal band. They appropriate metal elements but they don’t play metal. Just like Amaranthe.

Last time I knew, they were doing some kind of crowdfunding to release the album.

I’m not surprised. That is the image and musical direction they have been going for. They are not a true metal band. They appropriate metal elements but they don’t play metal. Just like Amaranthe.
To be honest I don't really care if they're a true metal band or not, I just want the music to be creative and original like it was on LtM. Those song titles make it seem like they're a cover band for 80s rock groups. Zero originality or creative endeavour. I'm sure the songs will be similarly bland.

I'm glad we got Letters to Myself, but what a disappointment this band has been overall.

Reactions: eochaid
So, I read it wrong. Cool.

With the band asking money for the US visa, it looks as if there's not a record label supporting their expenses.

The titles for the tracks... Honestly, anyone can come with something like that. It doesn't give too much hope for the lyrical parts. If the second single is as bad as the first one, then I don't think that I'm going to be interested in the new album.

Much like with IF, I'll listen to the new album out of morbid curiosity, but my expectations are about as low as is possible. I think this is going to be even worse than NHIH.

In terms of record label, as far as I'm aware the album is being released by Nuclear Blast, but I'd guess that only covers Europe. If they want to head over to the States it might be out of NB's scope. I know they have a US subsidiary but from memory acts don't automatically transfer between the European and American branches.

Replace Jake with a girl that can sing and growl and they would have a chance at getting popular. Especially if she was as charismatic as Euge.

Ideally also someone to write the music as well. If NHIH is what Jake has to offer... then no thanks.

Just listened to 'Life is a Hurricane' using my trusty Australian spotify account...

Beginning kind of sounds like a modern-ish IF track - one of the sluggish, shitty ones - then some guitar wah comes in that would make Bjorn blush. Sounds like shit. Song slows down for Jake's vocals, as normal. Nothing you haven't heard before. Chorus is pretty bad, vocal and drumming rhythm is all over the place. Drums are trying to match the vocal rhythm, or maybe the other way around, but either way it doesn't work. The same modern IF riffs for a moment, then back to the slow verses and chorus. Awful solo that sounds like the guitar is being tortured. It's like Bjorn said "I'm the best at making shitty, wah-infested solos" and one of Euge or Jesper said "hold my beer". I can't believe how terrible it sounds. Wah pedal abuse to the max. Repeat of the shitty, disjointed, poppy chorus. Finishes with the same boring riffs from the start.

2/10. Cyhra III is somehow going to be worse than NHIH. The first two tracks make the songs on that album sound like masterpieces in comparison. This stuff is just really bad.

Seriously, Battles From Within came on right after this song and it sounds far better. When you're making that mediocre nothingness sound good you have a problem. These guys need to stop if this is the best they can do. I don't understand how they are getting progressively worse in this fashion. It's like they have some kind of disease which is taking away their musical abilities over the span of a half-decade or so.

Last edited:
Can’t wait to listen now after your description of the song. It sounds like a dumpster fire but maybe it will sound good to me. I guess I’ll check it tomorrow morning.

I really don't think this is one that any of us are going to like. I know there's an element of opinion in play when it comes to music, but this really is bottom of the barrel stuff to me. Some of the guitar work in this is just laughably bad, like a teenager picking up a guitar for the first time and just making noise with it. I would say this is worse than anything on NHIH, and it's probably worse than Ready to Rumble too. At least that one is a competent if extremely boring song. This one just sounds straight up unprofessional at times.

Probably the weirdest part is that, outside of Jake's vocals, it sounds nothing like Cyhra. The opening riffs, repeated a few times throughout, sound like something Bjorn tossed aside because it was too generic (and this is the guy who helped write classics such as Underneath My Skin and Through My Eyes). The solo is ridiculous in how poorly executed it is. The wah is out of control, and sounds like nothing Euge has done previously. The vocals aren't memorable or interesting. Jake still sounds like he's half-asleep, like he has zero interest in this song or singing at all. I would say "who could blame him" considering how uninspired it is, but this is presumably the direction he himself is pushing the band towards.

Anyway, yeah, maybe you'll have a different take... but I find this as bad as some of the worst IF songs out there. For me it's the worst Cyhra song so far.

I really don't think this is one that any of us are going to like. I know there's an element of opinion in play when it comes to music, but this really is bottom of the barrel stuff to me. Some of the guitar work in this is just laughably bad, like a teenager picking up a guitar for the first time and just making noise with it. I would say this is worse than anything on NHIH, and it's probably worse than Ready to Rumble too. At least that one is a competent if extremely boring song. This one just sounds straight up unprofessional at times.

Probably the weirdest part is that, outside of Jake's vocals, it sounds nothing like Cyhra. The opening riffs, repeated a few times throughout, sound like something Bjorn tossed aside because it was too generic (and this is the guy who helped write classics such as Underneath My Skin and Through My Eyes). The solo is ridiculous in how poorly executed it is. The wah is out of control, and sounds like nothing Euge has done previously. The vocals aren't memorable or interesting. Jake still sounds like he's half-asleep, like he has zero interest in this song or singing at all. I would say "who could blame him" considering how uninspired it is, but this is presumably the direction he himself is pushing the band towards.

Anyway, yeah, maybe you'll have a different take... but I find this as bad as some of the worst IF songs out there. For me it's the worst Cyhra song so far.
Now you’re really piquing my interest. Are there any writing credits on Spotify or hints? I wonder if it’s Jesper’s fill-in. maybe they let him write something this time and it was an epic failure. Euge is pretty solid. I really doubt he would record something that terrible.

Or maybe even Jake played it. I think I saw him in a video once holding a guitar. that was probably a an ominous sign of things to come.

If Jesper played it, I’m going to be very sad.

Edit: a lot of errors due to using dictation.

Last edited:
I'm really talking about two parts specifically. There's a section at the beginning and the solo. I don't think either of these are Jesper, as I've never heard anything like that from him. The rest of the riffs are garbage as well, but not on the same level. Any generic band could have come up with those. Possible that these are Jesper, but it reminded me more of nu IF than old IF, so again I'm doubting it's him. I don't hear any Jesper on this track whatsoever.

As for who did it, I'm not sure and I'm not convinced anyone would want to take credit. It'd be like taking credit for doing an upper decker. Just not a smart move.

Anyhow, ignoring the above you basically just have another Cyhra borefest. A by the numbers pop metal track with no redeeming qualities.

Oh, and according to the artwork for this song on Spotify the new album appears to be called "The Vertigo Trigger".

Reactions: galvanized