Cynic - Maryland Deathfest

Haha, oh my god, reading through the list of bands for that fest seems like a parody of metal... except it isn't. By the time I got to putrescence and regurgitation, I started laughing out loud!

But I agree this seems like a death knell at the possibility of Cynic playing PP.

Haha, oh my god, reading through the list of bands for that fest seems like a parody of metal... except it isn't. By the time I got to putrescence and regurgitation, I started laughing out loud!

Those names are no more ridiculous than "Circus Maximus" or "Freak Kitchen."
Don't judge a book by its cover. It is a festival catered to the death/grind/gore subgenres of metal. Cynic are a progressive band that influenced everything from death to progressive metal. It's no surprise they are playing the festival.

Well he already said he only cares about Gorod, Psycroptic, and Cynic and that he doesn't like the way MDF is set up. But chances are he'll be here soon to speak for himself...

Cynic aside, the only other bands on that lineup that I'd like to see are Vomitory and Zyklon. As much as I want to see Cynic, I don't think I'll be making the trip.

I went to Maryland Deathfest III in 2005; I think that year had the best total lineup: Cryptopsy and Immolation headlining; supporting bands included Impaled, Wormed, Pig Destroyer, Abscess (members of Autopsy), and Aborted.

Last year's lineup was okay; it had the incomparable DEMILICH as one of its main draws; but the support was lacking and I didn't go.

This year has some good bands as well. Psycroptic are amazing, as are Saprogenic, Origin is great, as are Gorod (previously called Gorgasm). However, bands like Brutal Truth and Cock and Ball Torture (...) just don't do it for me, and to have a band like Cynic headlining a fest of mostly tongue-in-cheek goregrind and brutal death metal seems a bit out of sync. I'd love to see Cynic, but maybe not in that particular fest. Too much filler in that list (c'mon...Nunwhore Commando 666; are you kidding me?) to make it a big draw for me.

The MDF is certainly a good time, though. They have a TON of great merch.

Dude, "The Wet Sound of Flesh on Concrete" is one of the most brutal albums I have ever heard. It's up there with Mondo Medicale and Colossal Titan Strife in my favorite death metal albums ever. And it's only a few years old!

But I agree this seems like a death knell at the possibility of Cynic playing PP.

I very much agree that these names are so ridiculous. And you wonder why people make fun of metal...(ie: an [adultswim] cartoon was created so people can laugh at metalheads).

Anyway, something else that made me laugh is the names of the new members of Cynic. Tony Teegarden and Chris Kringel? On a more serious note, does anyone know why the line-up changed so much? I would really like to see them (if they play in a situation that isn't all death metal) with Sean Malone, since I've never seen a Stick player in real life before.

Anyway, something else that made me laugh is the names of the new members of Cynic. Tony Teegarden and Chris Kringel?

Neither Teegarden nor Kringel are "new" to Cynic. Teegarden was on Focus, in fact. He's the growler on that album. Kringel played bass for them in 93 I think it was when they toured and Malone couldn't go.

As for anyone doubting whether Cynic fits in at MDF... I saw Cynic in 1994 (with Malone, with stick!) opening for Cannibal Corpse and Sinister, so...

That was cool. :p

Neither Teegarden nor Kringel are "new" to Cynic. Teegarden was on Focus, in fact. He's the growler on that album. Kringel played bass for them in 93 I think it was when they toured and Malone couldn't go.

Yeah, there's a lot of people saying this isn't the "real" Cynic. Hell, then, it's not the "real" Cynic unless Tony Choy's playing bass. :lol: