Cynic - Maryland Deathfest

Those names are no more ridiculous than "Circus Maximus" or "Freak Kitchen."
Don't judge a book by its cover. It is a festival catered to the death/grind/gore subgenres of metal. Cynic are a progressive band that influenced everything from death to progressive metal. It's no surprise they are playing the festival.

My thoughts exactly (add to that Pink Cream 69, Brainstorm, and Edguy amonst a plethora of other dumb band names). Sometimes prog fans piss me off with their elitism.

My thoughts exactly (add to that Pink Cream 69, Brainstorm, and Edguy amonst a plethora of other dumb band names). Sometimes prog fans piss me off with their elitism.

Funny, as I wouldn't call PC69 or Edguy prog bands but maybe that's just me. There are plenty of bands from all genres with weird names. Cherry Poppin Daddies comes to mind, immediately. A number of their songs also fit into theme with the name. Doesn't mean I don't have a right to make fun of a band for having a ridiculous name. I listen to many bands that I fully admit have some of the most laughable names. Don't get your panties into a twist.

Well alot of the bands on the line up do suck I agree but what I do admire is how their promotor introduces soo foreign death/grind metal bands that have never played the states.

Bands I would go to see are Cynic, Origin, Rotten Sound, Zyklon , & Psycroptic, would all be worth it.

Sometimes prog fans piss me off with their elitism.

I agree as well. If there are 2 elitists that piss me off the most it's ...

- Black Metal elitists , Thinking they are soo trve, kult, necro, or whatever! Judging music because it's either not satanic, not raw recorded, not NS, or blah blah who the fuck cares?

- Prog metal elitists , thinking every other form of music of music is crap unless it has technical guitar playing, 1000 odd time changes per song, or constant musician masterbation (aka wanking off). I seriously don't know whats wrong with music that is more simple ?

Funny, as I wouldn't call PC69 or Edguy prog bands but maybe that's just me. There are plenty of bands from all genres with weird names. Cherry Poppin Daddies comes to mind, immediately. A number of their songs also fit into theme with the name. Doesn't mean I don't have a right to make fun of a band for having a ridiculous name. I listen to many bands that I fully admit have some of the most laughable names. Don't get your panties into a twist.

They aren't prog bands. I just didn't feel like saying Prog/Power fans, but figures that you'd have to correct me. Typical..

You have a right to make fun any band you want, but I also have a right to say that you're an elitist prog snob if you think that a band called "Regurgitation" is "a parody of metal" but not 'Savage Circus' or 'Edguy' based on the band name alone. It goes both ways.

Prog metal elitists , thinking every other form of music of music is crap unless it has technical guitar playing, 1000 odd time changes per song, or constant musician masterbation (aka wanking off). I seriously don't know whats wrong with music that is more simple ?

There's nothing wrong with liking technical music. I love it. All the prog/power bands I dogged on in this thread I absolutely love. But prog fans are sometimes so uninformed with their 'holier than thou' attitude. Just like I cant stand when they act like death metal bands are low class, I can't stand how death metal fans say prog or power metal is 'gay'.

There's nothing wrong with liking technical music. I love it. All the prog/power bands I dogged on in this thread I absolutely love. But prog fans are sometimes so uninformed with their 'holier than thou' attitude. Just like I cant stand when they act like death metal bands are low class, I can't stand how death metal fans say prog or power metal is 'gay'.

I love technical music too when executed well. I don't hate prog/tech music as I am a fan of those genre's too. I do agree about how some prog musicians/fans think death metal is low class music and I too hate it when death metal fans think power metal is gay.

But prog fans are sometimes so uninformed with their 'holier than thou' attitude. Just like I cant stand when they act like death metal bands are low class, I can't stand how death metal fans say prog or power metal is 'gay'.

Bottom line is that theres just as much really shitty, generic prog/power metal as there is really shitty, generic death metal, and both give their respective genres bad names.

You have a right to make fun any band you want, but I also have a right to say that you're an elitist prog snob if you think that a band called "Regurgitation" is "a parody of metal" but not 'Savage Circus' or 'Edguy' based on the band name alone. It goes both ways.

I love prog/power metal and I love death/black metal. In any given moment, I can go from listening from Helloween to Vital Remains to Wolves in the Throne Room. However, how can you even compare the worst of black/death names to power/prog names. Sure, band names like Custard, Chinchilla, and Fairyland aren't exactly the greatest band names out there, but to say that they're comparable to Putrescence or Cock and Ball Torture is ridiculous.

Of course, since I think those names are more ridiculous, I'm a prog snob, right?

They aren't prog bands. I just didn't feel like saying Prog/Power fans, but figures that you'd have to correct me. Typical..

What's typical? I listen to a lot of different music including a number of death metal bands. You were the one who were using non prog bands to make a point about how you hate snobby prog fans. Guess now I can saw how I hate typical lazy death metal fans since you didn't feel the need to include a whole 6 extra letters. Of course, then I can go into how I don't think PC69 is power metal. Or how I think you pointing out Brainstorm as a stupid name is ridiculous since that's an actual term used in everyday English language.
Anyway, that's it from me as this is just going OT and you know what they say about debating on the internet.

I'm still trying to figure out how Metalocalypse is "making fun of" death/black metal fans, but whatever. Seems to me like the show is celebrating the scene more than pulling it down....and involving a tidy boatload of 'our' musicians (Jeff Loomis, et al.) in the process.

I'm still trying to figure out how Metalocalypse is "making fun of" death/black metal fans, but whatever. Seems to me like the show is celebrating the scene more than pulling it down....and involving a tidy boatload of 'our' musicians (Jeff Loomis, et al.) in the process.

Haha Paul, I completely agree. Metalocalypse is so much fun to watch for all the metal jokes and cameos, not to mention it can be funny as hell. I know several people who love the show and would buy a DethKlok album, yet otherwise listen to, say, Japanese Pop music. Teases that something as wonderfully silly as "Bloodtricuted!" is a good song title is hilarious because it's so true and so metal.

As for my comment on the deathfest - my apologies if you were offended. I love metal - the entire scene - but I figured we could still laugh at the over-the-top ridiculousness of some random part of it. Don't we all get a smile out of adding "OF FIRE!" to the name of any metal band? Or giggle when another band sings about dragons once more? What about most pictures of Immortal? Why not laugh at the disgustingly brutal names some of these bands have to fulfill the death metal stereotype (just as dragons fulfill the power metal fantasy stereotype)?

The music may or may not be absolutely amazing. I don't know; the closest to technical death metal I have is Arsis. That's really beside the point though, because I'm not dishing on any band or genre personally. I have nothing against Rhapsody of Fire, Dragon*insertwordhere,* Immortal, Putrescence, or Cock and Ball Torture - just a sense of humor ;-)

If this makes me something of a snob, you might as well take the prog portion out and just call me a metal snob. Metal is, after all, my favorite. :headbang:

Bottom line is that theres just as much really shitty, generic prog/power metal as there is really shitty, generic death metal, and both give their respective genres bad names.

Agree very much. To me there is just as much generic/shitty prog/power music as there is shitty/generic death/black metal. Both genre's imo have a handful of good bands as well as a handful of shitty bands.

Example for me is....

Necrophagist is great death metal but when I hear Cock and Ball Torture I say to myself "this can't be death metal" but come reality it is.

Angra is is awesome Power/prog metal but when i hear a band like Ark it's like "i can't believe this is prog" but the reality is they are.

And what are the shitty bands on your Prog/Power list? Cause you just happened to cite two of the most awesome prog/power bands ever... :lol:

Well I don't like Ark. I really like Millenium, Masterplan, and Jorn Lande's solo stuff but Ark is just boring to me!

Well bands I dislike for prog/power metal include .... Thy Majesty , Eldritch, Midnight Sun, Zero Hour, Pagans Mind, Chinchilla, Vision Divine, Rising Faith, Gun Barrel, and some other I can't name right now.

Bands that execute prog/power well imo include....

Axel Rudi Pell, Stratovarious, Revoltons, Sonata Arctica, Raintime, Mercenary, Rhapsody, (early) Blind Guardian, Vanden Plas, Galloglass, Inner Wish, Domain, Cryonic Temple, Jorn Lande, Millenium, Running Wild, Nevermore, Mystic Prophecy, Secrete Sphere, Angra, Symphony X, Racer X, ect... the list goes on...

Fans of some of the most cheesiest band names ever genre otherwise known as power metal should not throw stones in this huge glass building that all of us metal fans live in.

Next to Progpower, Maryland Deathfest is one of the most organized well done metalfests in North America. People travel from Europe just to witness it. Highly entertaining live acts of various underground brutal death, technical death, grind, and goregrind.

It is attitudes that some have that prove to me that even if it was financially feasible why a Wacken(even on a smaller scale) type of festival would not work in North America. Too many people sticking within their own favorite metal genre.

Next to Progpower, Maryland Deathfest is one of the most organized well done metalfests in North America. People travel from Europe just to witness it. Highly entertaining live acts of various underground brutal death, technical death, grind, and goregrind.

It is attitudes that some have that prove to me that even if it was financially feasible why a Wacken(even on a smaller scale) type of festival would not work in North America. Too many people sticking within their own favorite metal genre.

+1

With you on this one, 'Dragonforce'?, 'Elvenking'?, 'Dragonland'?, 'Rhapsody OF FIRE'? Lets keep things in perspective people.

btw, i love elvenking..

Fans of some of the most cheesiest band names ever genre otherwise known as power metal should not throw stones in this huge glass building that all of us metal fans live in.

Totally agree with you. As long as metal fans here in America have their "Holier then thou" elitism attitudes about (insert any metal sub-genre here), festivals like Wacken or Tuska will never work here in North America.

Maryland deathfest I hear is just as highly and professionally organized as progpower. The only difference is Maryland deathfest features death,grind, gore metal.

In Europe I see local shows were a black metal band can open for a power metal band and it's completely ok by European metal fans . It's also the same I hear in South America.

Not here in North America though. Here it is I guess soo wrong or a sin to have a band like Dying Fetus play a same show with Edguy.

I mean yes I believe different people have thier own taste and are entitled to what they want to like but that doesn't mean you can have an elitistic "holier than thou" attitude about your fav metal sub-genre and say all other metal styles are wrong!

What I find funny is how Prog/power metal fans say they hate DM but why do they even bother to listen to Into Eternity, Cynic, Death, Athiest, Necrophagist, ect.??? Why to Prog/power fans is a band like Soilwork or Death acceptable yet a band like Nile or Krisiun isn't?