d 112 on guitars

greyskull

Mar 22, 2006
just tried a d112 on guitars paired with a 57, fucking awesome combination!!!!
'it was more out of a fuck i cant find my other 57' but holy shit they work well together!!

(are no rules) ;)

And on that note, although it's a far more common combo, I finally had the chance to pair an MD421 with a 57 miking up my cab the other day, and SWEET JESUS did it rule - I really have no idea how anyone could use just a 57 when the 421 just fills out SO much of the low- to mid-mids (yes, I said mid-mids, eat me :D); I know people have gotten great results out of one 57, so I'm sure I just need to get better, but I did the "have someone play at low volume while you sweep the mic with headphones on" routine and got what I thought was a pretty killer 57 tone, until I added in the 421 and holy rays of enlightenment shone down upon me.

Just thought I'd share. :) Clips will come when I finish the project!

yeah i was playing around with a 57 and a ribbon mic and the 57 sounded so weak once i took the ribbon out of the mix again

(are no rules) ;)

And on that note, although it's a far more common combo, I finally had the chance to pair an MD421 with a 57 miking up my cab the other day, and SWEET JESUS did it rule - I really have no idea how anyone could use just a 57 when the 421 just fills out SO much of the low- to mid-mids (yes, I said mid-mids, eat me :D); I know people have gotten great results out of one 57, so I'm sure I just need to get better, but I did the "have someone play at low volume while you sweep the mic with headphones on" routine and got what I thought was a pretty killer 57 tone, until I added in the 421 and holy rays of enlightenment shone down upon me.

Just thought I'd share. :) Clips will come when I finish the project!

Can you explain a little bit about mic positioning? I'm gonna do some experimentation with that combo, and maybe also w/ a sehnheiser 906, so any tips will be appreciated. Are you keeping the 57 on the classic "cone meets dustcap" fashion? ... what about the 421? ... phasing issues?. Cheers!

Basically, I started monitoring (through the headphones) just the 57 only, and (while my friend was playing at the aforementioned really low volume) moved it around the cone until it sounded good (which was in fact the classic dustcap/cone spot) - then, I had him record-enable the 421 track, and while listening to both simultaneously, moved the 421 around until the combined sound in my headphones kicked fucking ass (I don't really remember where that was, but I'm pretty sure it was also the dustcap/cone spot on the opposite side of the same speaker). So not much to it, but it worked, cuz when I checked the waveforms after recording they were pretty much entirely in phase. Good luck dude!

57 and 421 is a great combo. They holy grail is a 57, 421, and a royer 121 (IMO). 57 and 421 about an inch off (Side by side) 57 on-axis pointing at where the dust cap meets the surround of the speaker and the 421 right on the right of it. With the 121 you can really experiment with (1-6 inches off grill, on or off-axis). Also the D112 is a great mic for miking the back of an open guitar cab. Another great combo,i heard from a popular mix engineer in LA, (Cough Cough...The Mix Room). Is when he re-amps guitars, he uses (2) 57's in XY right on the grill, so one will pick up the dustcap at a 45 and the other will pick up the surround at a 45. And a 121 thrown in the mix there at 3 inches back. All through Neve 1073s and DBX160VUs. :headbang:

I used to be all about combining mics on guitar cabs, but ever since I learned that dudes like Andy and Adam D have achieved some of my favorite tones with a single SM57, I actually haven't really had an appetite to use anything more. I probably should get back into it...at least be more willing to experiment with it some more, but I really do feel like going with a strictly single SM57 approach has taught me an awful lot about the correlation between mic placement and amp settings, and understanding that correlation is absolutely key to getting good tones, whether you're using only one mic or several.

absolutly aaron, agree with ya!
What i normally do is set and tweak according to the 57, then add the other mics in

I find that using a 57 alone is acceptable when using a Marshall (or style) amp..

If its something with a lot of low end - I try to find something which will find and beef up those low mids.