D.T. news update 2002-03-04

Caotico

Sep 17, 2001
Terra firma
www.darktranquillity.com
An important note: We've recently gotten some emails from
people who have bought "The gallery" or "The mind's I" and
found that they can't play the album on their computers.

Apparantly, Osmose productions began using a copy protection
system on all their pressings in February last year, rendering the
albums unreadable on PC's or Macs. This is, apparantly, not
mentioned anywhere on the albums themselves, so we
advise anyone that uses a computer or portable MP3 player to
listen to their albums to double-check if it's a new or old pressing
before purchasing.

it's silly on their part to try out this copy protection on old records, too, since mp3s of those albums have been around for ages already and the damage (if there was any) is done. :err:

so, as a result to this brilliant record-company move, all those who bought the gallery/the mind's i and feel like listening to those songs on their pc will resolve to dload mp3s as well. :rolleyes:

rahvin.

I think this kind of copy protection hurts the labels and bands more than preventing piracy, in the metal industry at least cause a lot of people download songs to check a certain band and if they like it, buy the cd.

Fuck osmose,i will post links to cracks for that protection, i dont want that "music bussiness" world coming into metal, fuck them. You guys should like sue fucking osmose and take all the rights for the past albums elsewhere, i dont think you guys agred to have your fans ruin their hardware when they try to listen to DT.

I thought my computer wouldn't play The Gallery because my shitty cd-drive wouldn't recognize the cd. This is very infuriating because my best speaker set is connected to my computers, not my cd player :mad:

How much money can they be losing from people ripping DT? People who listen to music like that usually have the integrity to buy the albums, although the main reason for people resorting to mp3's is because the cd's are impossible to find in most parts of the world. In that case it's Osmose's own fucking fault, and they should stop punishing their customers for their shitty management.

Originally posted by phyre
I hope Century Media, Nuclear Blast and the other large metal labels are smart enough not to hop onto this copy protection bandwagon.

Unfortunately, phyre, upon reading some news articles it seems that the vast majority will be implementing something like what osmose has done... the only interesting thing being that usually it is only un-rippable, and if there is any problem or quality loss when playing on a comp, they will replace it... or at least thats what i got out of it...

i don't think you even need to copy via analog and then compress to mp3. how many 'unhackable' copy protections have been on the market for cd-roms (especially for games)? and how long did it take until some 16-year-old cracks the protection? it's only a matter of days. personally i'm not all too affected by all this, because i own a modest stereo, but this marketing "strategy" sucks big time. btw, good idea phyre... :)

@niklas: you were not informed of the new protection system, were you? can't the bands signed for osmose do something against it? and how does the majority of musicians you know think about it?

Originally posted by VultureCulture
i don't think you even need to copy via analog and then compress to mp3. how many 'unhackable' copy protections have been on the market for cd-roms (especially for games)? and how long did it take until some 16-year-old cracks the protection? it's only a matter of days. personally i'm not all too affected by all this, because i own a modest stereo, but this marketing "strategy" sucks big time. btw, good idea phyre... :)

@niklas: you were not informed of the new protection system, were you? can't the bands signed for osmose do something against it? and how does the majority of musicians you know think about it?

You into warez too?

It is funny how you can run into the daemon tools and play "backup" copies of diablo II and here you got blizzard thinking their games wont get copied :lol:

Ok, so I guess this is the reason why my portable piece of shit won't play Mind's I very well, if at all. Oh well getting a new system anyway, think I just might take that CD with me when I go buy it tho :rolleyes:

As far as the copy protection goes, I think it is stupid, it does nothing but fuck the consumer right where the sun don't shine.
The people who rip the CD's will get around it, there is no such thing as a copy protected CD and there never will be.
NOTHING is pirate proof!!

Does this go for only Dark Tranquility or all of the bands realsed off of Osmose? Just wondering. That sucks now I have to worry when I buy The Gallery if it is going to work or not.

Whatever locks, unlocks :)

Siren (repeating what everybody else said in other words :p)

Originally posted by Misanthrope

You into warez too?

It is funny how you can run into the daemon tools and play "backup" copies of diablo II and here you got blizzard thinking their games wont get copied :lol:

hm, i wouldn't call me part of the warez-community (uh i hate these z-words...), but sometimes you need to make a decentralized copy of your precious cdroms :) i know where i can get the cracks and that's it.