News from SHADOW GALLERY, they will carry on

J-Man

Old as Yoda
Jan 11, 2005
Texas
This is great news.

Guitarist Gary Wehrkamp of progressive power metallers SHADOW GALLERY has confirmed to Roadie Crew's Thiago Sarkis that the band will carry on following singer Michael A. Baker's recent passing, with D.C. Cooper (SILENT FORCE, ex-ROYAL HUNT) filling in on at least one track on the band's upcoming album, which is tentatively due in October.

"Mike was very excited about the new SHADOW GALLERY songs compositions and was eager to sing them," Wehrkamp said in a statement that was published at Solada. "Unfortunately, he left us before he could begin. There is a possibility that he did a quick demo of one song a few weeks before he died. As for the rest of the material, we will have to find a way to honor Mike, and his legacy, and we feel the best choice is to continue and finish this album. We will try to make it as good as it can possibly be. We have looked at some singers to fill in. I say that because you cannot replace somebody like Mike. With a few people in mind, [but] nothing is definite or confirmed. There has been some talk that D.C. Cooper would be our new singer. We have known D.C. for many years, and enjoyed working with him on a few different records. He is a unique talent and a fine singer. Our plan is to have D.C.'s voice grace one track of our new album, for a song that has not been completely written yet. It is possible that we may even collaborate — something we never do — with him on this song. We hope to be finishing our record in a few months, which puts a possible release for October. We sincerely appreciate all of the wonderful comments left for Mike, from wonderful caring people all around the globe. We look forward to giving you all the very best we can."

Michael A. Baker died on October 29, 2008 after suffering a heart attack. He was 45 years old.

Mike was a founding member of SHADOW GALLERY and for the past 16 years, helped shape the band's sound with his magical voice. Additionally, he made many appearances on rock records around the world.

Magna Carta Records in 2007 issued a "best-of" collection from SHADOW GALLERY, entitled "Prime Cuts". The CD featured 12 tracks chosen by the band, including a previously unreleased demo from the "Carved In Stone" sessions ("Rule The World") and edits of two tracks from the "Legacy" LP ("The Crusher" and "Colors").

SHADOW GALLERY began in the early 1980s under the name SORCERER, changing their name just in time to sign with Magna Carta Records in 1991. It was a young band joining forces with a young label. Both were doing something brave and fraught with risk: They were making music that is complex enough to merit careful attention, built around a compelling but oddly non-commercial blend of virtuosity and emotion, and saying that maybe there's a place in the world for something other than three-minute songs. SHADOW GALLERY uses its chops to tell stories — big stories, sometimes so big they have to span across multiple albums.

SHADOW GALLERY's fifth album, "Room V", was released in May 2005 via InsideOut Music.

I will take D.C.'s vocals on anything. It could be the worst music ever written, but D.C.'s vocals seem to make it happen no matter what, he can do no wrong(ok, I lied, there are a couple things he has sung on I wasn't a huge fan of, but I loved his vocals on the releases though).

Am I missing something? This doesn't seem to make sense.

Mostly, the songs are written, but there's no vox from Mike (with the possible exception of one demo)...and D.C. Cooper will probably collaborate on one song.

What about the rest of the planned album that has no vox?

Rock on!

I am good friends with Gary, and the band is looking at other singers to guest on the new album, along with D.C. According to him it will not be just one singer. I am sure in due time they will announce who those others will be, but I am not sure if they have that finalized yet.

That would be great to hear a couple of different people singing on the album, almost like an all-star tribute, kind of.

I'd rather they pick a new singer and go with it, but in going the guest singer route it allows the band to pay tribute in a way to Mike Baker.

Britt

***That's 2 great points and options! This can be a tribute to Mike OR a completely new beginning. It's a win win!

I love Make Baker's voice and there's no one out there quite like him, but when I heard he was gone the one and only replacement I could think of was DC Cooper. And no, I'm not a big DC Cooper fan. I actually despise his power metal stuff, but for some reason, I think he'd make a great singer for Shadow Gallery. I wish he did the whole record though. Or they should just get Dan Swano and release their masterpiece. :)

I love Make Baker's voice and there's no one out there quite like him, but when I heard he was gone the one and only replacement I could think of was DC Cooper. And no, I'm not a big DC Cooper fan. I actually despise his power metal stuff, but for some reason, I think he'd make a great singer for Shadow Gallery. I wish he did the whole record though. Or they should just get Dan Swano and release their masterpiece. :)

Agreed on all accounts but Dan Swano. I certainly don't think he would be a good fit.

About DC's stint with Silent Force, I think it's the biggest mistake of his career. This is a below average band with only one good disc which is Worlds Apart in my opinion.

I always thought he would be a very good fit with a prog band such as SG but not because of a sad piece of news like Mike's departure. Still, I think there's no other choice. I also agree that they should stick with DC for all the disc.

Cheers!

Steve

From Blabbermouth:

SHADOW GALLERY Completes Recording New Album - July 24, 2009

Progressive power metallers SHADOW GALLERY have finished recording their new album and are currently mixing the effort for a possible late fall release.

SHADOW GALLERY guitarist Gary Wehrkamp confirmed to Roadie Crew's Thiago Sarkis earlier this year that the band would carry on following singer Michael A. Baker's passing, with D.C. Cooper (SILENT FORCE, ex-ROYAL HUNT) filling in on at least one track on the band's upcoming album.

"Mike was very excited about the new SHADOW GALLERY songs compositions and was eager to sing them," Wehrkamp said in a January 2009 statement that was published at Solada. "Unfortunately, he left us before he could begin. There is a possibility that he did a quick demo of one song a few weeks before he died. As for the rest of the material, we will have to find a way to honor Mike, and his legacy, and we feel the best choice is to continue and finish this album. We will try to make it as good as it can possibly be."

Michael A. Baker died on October 29, 2008 after suffering a heart attack. He was 45 years old.

Mike was a founding member of SHADOW GALLERY and for the past 16 years, helped shape the band's sound with his magical voice. Additionally, he made many appearances on rock records around the world.

Magna Carta Records in 2007 issued a "best-of" collection from SHADOW GALLERY, entitled "Prime Cuts". The CD featured 12 tracks chosen by the band, including a previously unreleased demo from the "Carved In Stone" sessions ("Rule The World") and edits of two tracks from the "Legacy" LP ("The Crusher" and "Colors").

SHADOW GALLERY began in the early 1980s under the name SORCERER, changing their name just in time to sign with Magna Carta Records in 1991. It was a young band joining forces with a young label. Both were doing something brave and fraught with risk: They were making music that is complex enough to merit careful attention, built around a compelling but oddly non-commercial blend of virtuosity and emotion, and saying that maybe there's a place in the world for something other than three-minute songs. SHADOW GALLERY uses its chops to tell stories — big stories, sometimes so big they have to span across multiple albums.

SHADOW GALLERY's fifth album, "Room V", was released in May 2005 via InsideOut Music.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=124173

Mike's vocals on Room V was just amazing. Its still one of my favorite vocal performances on a prog album (blows James Labrie out of the water thats for sure). Just something about him that made him different.

I hope the new album does Shadow Gallery justice. Hard to top Room V in my opinion.

a Hack? Your tripping. DC is an awesome vocalist. Listen to his solo album

Bear

I don't know what I was talking about. I prefer Mike. And I think Mike is just incredible, and one of the few singers that stopped me in my tracks.

But I'm listening back on DC's stuff (on myspace) with Amaran's Plight, and he's pretty damn awesome.

Mike Baker was an awsome vocalist he will be sadly missed and difficult to replace. But D.C. Cooper is an excellent vocalist too, I'm not into Silent Force but I think he does better on prog. He was in Royal Hunt, and his solo album as well as work on Explorers Club and Amaran's Plight prove he's worthy of any progressive band. I would have accepted hinm gladly in SG as only vocalist.