DA conversion test

tempe

Captain Midnight
Sep 22, 2005
Perth, Australia
Just out of curiosity, has anyone run a test where they take the analog outs of two different converters and looped them through the AD of another high quality reference AD (something like a 192io that a lot of people are using) to hear the difference between different DA?

It'd be really interesting to null test and see just how small the difference might be.

I ask this because of recent thread which was the result of me getting into a little bit of a fit due to GAS and probably a whole lot of marketing spin which made me consider that now I'm just mixing, I should upgrade to a high quality DA. Then coming to the realisation that my converters DA is probably the last thing that is wrong with my monitoring situation.

I guess this begs the question, will your monitoring environment allow you to notice such a difference? This something I've considered however my current setup probably won't allow me to hear any difference. Until I get the opals. In two days!

Exactly, I'm using yamaha msp7s. They are by no means a high end monitor speaker. That being said you'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands. I love how they sound and how they make me really focus on the midrange of my mix. My room is fairly treated with traps in each corner and the first reflection points. My problem is that my room is around the size of Ermin's, which is quite small so my bass response isn't fantastic, but it's usable.

I feel more bass trapping may be in order!