Dally M awards tonight

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
For those that don't know, the Dally M award is for the best player in the NRL for the year. Like the Brownlow medal or the Allan Border Medal or whatever the cricket one is called.

ANYWAY, if Andrew Johns wins this tonight then it proves that the entire system is a farce. How can you be the best player of the year when you've only played half the game? That's a slap in the face of the other guys who have toughed it out for the year.

Johns is a great player but the best this year? No. The Rugby League Week awards are much better because each player is rated out of 10 for each game played, which means that a forward often wins. It rewards consistency, not just whoever is the flashiest in each game.

If Johns wins, then I'm not going to be happy. In fact, I'll be quite annoyed. Then again, if he doesn't win, then hey, that's sweet.

Who do you think will get it? There's been plenty of consistent players this year, in particular a lot of the forwards have stepped up.Ben Kennedy and Luke Bailey have been on fire, without those two their respective teams wouldn't be going like they have....

Yay, someone other than Andrew Johns won! Quite surprised that it was Johnathan Thurston - I thought it would be Prince or Kennedy or Hindmarsh - but Thurston was quite good this year.

I'd expect someone like Kennedy or Hindmarsh to win the RLW award though.

Mark said:
Rugby IS footy!

notice the word 'foot' in 'footy'. Just because they use their feet on the ball for like 2% of the game, does not make it footy.

Tackly perhaps... Runny is there as well, but not footy :p

I love both. BOTH RULE MY WORLD, DAMMIT!

IT SHOULD HAVE GONE TO LANCE. LANCE THOMPSON WAS ROBBED!!!!

Yeah. Glad Joey didn't get it. Great player, but I reckon some judges just give him 3 pts because he is Andrew Johns and has the reputation.....

Like last week against the dragons. Sure, he played good in a losing side... But shouldn't have gotten 3 pts for that surely?!?!?

It shits me when people refer to rugby as football. It doesn't even have football in the title.

NRL = National Rugby League.
AFL = Australian Football League.

Even American's can get away with calling Gridiron football, because they label it the NFL. Soccer is most obviously football, as that is all they are doing (except the occasional 'eadbutt).

Rugby is the least football of them all.

Blitzkrieg said:
Even American's can get away with calling Gridiron football, because they label it the NFL. Soccer is most obviously football, as that is all they are doing (except the occasional 'eadbutt).

Rugby is the least football of them all.

Occasional headbutt? Half of the goals are from headbutts!!
loco.gif
okay okay, slight over-exaggeration, but there are plenty of head butt goals. And diving, they like taking dives too.

But they all use a football.

I was all set for a huge rant defending rugby league and how it's not "rugby" because that's rugby union, but I really can't be bothered.

Blitzy is right.

By the way, I have a rugby ball and a cap, both emblazoned with the COWBOYS logo, signed by all original members of the Cowboys. Reckon it'd be worth something? Maybe in the future? (I used to live in Cairns, my teacher dated one of the players so it was a prize at the school fate and I won it!)

ceydn said:
By the way, I have a rugby ball and a cap, both emblazoned with the COWBOYS logo, signed by all original members of the Cowboys. Reckon it'd be worth something? Maybe in the future? (I used to live in Cairns, my teacher dated one of the players so it was a prize at the school fate and I won it!)

No, it won't be worth anything... So, you may as well give it to me... While you are wrapping it up nicely, I'll go set up an eBay account.... :D