Dammit, what a year this has been....

Between my wife's family and my family, it's been one catastrophe after another...

I've already mentioned the troubles with Holly's mother having cancer and other family illnesses, etc earlier this year to you, and now in the last two weeks Holly's lost her aunt and another uncle to cancer and my mother's broken her foot and now I've also lost an uncle to cancer.

On top of all this, I got a call at about 5:30 AM on Saturday night concerning my oldest brother. His apartment building caught fire and after being burned and inhaling smoke, he was forced to leap from his third story window. He landed on a group of air conditioners below, and was taken to the trauma center here in Pittsburgh. He's in critical condition in the Intensive Care unit now. His face was split open from ear to ear stright thru his nose, he has several other deep tissue wounds in various places, his left elbow was smashed, his right rib cage area was badly burned, his left hip was dislocated, and his ankles may be broken. He's still in a neck brace because they can't be sure yet if he's got any neck or spinal injury, though they say the X-rays look good. They're not really sure about how badly his lungs were damaged because it usually takes around 72 hours for those sorts of symptoms to show. He's sedated and on life support right now, and we're all hopeful that when he's able to wake up, he'll be ok. It's gonna be a long, tense week around here.

I'm really getting frustrated with this stuff. So many people we're close to are dying or injured. It's a part of life I guess, but it's really freaky that it's been one thing after another. I'm getting to the point that I'm afraid to answer the phone anymore.

-->EC

MY GOD! Thats the worst new I've heard all year...

Dude, hang in there. You, Holly, and your families our in my prayers and the prayers of my family.

If your brother is anything like you, I'm sure he'll have the balls to hang in there. I wish you guys the very best... and you have my sympathies for your family members who prematurely passed away...

God Bless you and yours....

Jim

Hey Jim, I see you're online now.

You won't beleive this but I'm home from work today because Holly's Mom had to be rushed to the hospitol last night around 2am. She was having trouble breathing. Man, this stuff just won't let up.

Thanks for your kind words. We really appreciate it, and we'll hang in there no matter what. What else can we do?

Thanks again man, you're the best. :)

Hey EC, I hope things will get better for you and your family and you find the strength to handle what you are going through.

HOLY WOW EC.....

I was gonna post how upset me and my fiance are because we just found out our beautiful birman cat has feline leukemia (sp?) ... And were gonna have to put her down...!! For those of us who dont have children... our pets ARE our children and fill the void with an unconditional sharing of deep love....

Im shattered and my fiance is just totally distraught... :cry:

So i can sorta totally understand the hurt you would be feeling at the momment.... albeit your situation is probaly amplified ten fold with all the dramas youve described.....

Anyways... i hope your brother pulls through ok and the rest of your family rally on....

My favorite sayings for me dealing with stuff like this are....

...The angel of death came knocking on our door for my fiance or myself.....
...My honourable cat offered herself instead...

Death smiles at us all...
All one can do is smile back....

Thanks guys. Your support is very much appreciated.

You won't beleive this, but late Monday night, around 2:30am we got another call that Holly's Mom was rushed to the hospital again. She was having trouble catching her breath, and was very badly dehydrated. As it turns out, her left lung is filling with fluid again. It's about 2/3 full of fluid now. They can do a surgical procedure to at least temporarily drain the fluid, but she's so weak from the chemotherapy that she's not sure she'll withstand that. I'm suggesting to her that she wait a few days to let the chemo symptoms subside and gain her strength back, then have the procedure to drainher lung done. I hate to say it, but she's about ready to give up in her treatments because the chemo is really racking her body. Holly's a wreck. What a damn shame.

thats really terrible ec, i sincerely hope everything geos well again, you need to have faith in the slightest chance!

my mother died in may from stomach cancer. i thought i managed the whole situation very well emotionally and kept strong. but now after so many month i just feel like crying all of sudden. today i dreamt of her and woke up, couldnt sleep the rest of the night.

the best thing you can do is spend as much time possible with those who love and show them how important they are to you. thats something i havent done very well when i had the chance and i'll regret it now for the rest of my life.

best wishes to you and your family!

Originally posted by Stormbringer
thats really terrible ec, i sincerely hope everything geos well again, you need to have faith in the slightest chance!

my mother died in may from stomach cancer. i thought i managed the whole situation very well emotionally and kept strong. but now after so many month i just feel like crying all of sudden. today i dreamt of her and woke up, couldnt sleep the rest of the night.

the best thing you can do is spend as much time possible with those who love and show them how important they are to you. thats something i havent done very well when i had the chance and i'll regret it now for the rest of my life.

best wishes to you and your family!

I'm very sorry to hear that about your Mother Stormbringer. I am seeing first hand just how tough that is, and you have my sympathy and respect. That's very good advice about loved ones. An important lesson for us all. Take noone or nothing for granted. People are the most important thing in life.

My best wishes to you and your family as well.

Originally posted by Rich Beer
Jesus H! :cry: :cry:

I'm really sorry to hear that mate, I hope he is ok...

Thanks Virus, he's awake now and feeling ok despite being awfully battered. He's been coughing up debris from his lungs. He says it's a taste he'll never forget! We're going shopping tomorrow to start buying clothes and things to help him out. He has nothing at all right now.

I haven't posted anything on the board for quite a while, but I want you to know that you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers from now on. After reading what you've been through, my words of consolidation seem rather small and feeble, but I am glad your brother has woken up, and I wish you and your family the very best. You deserve it man.

Regards,
Thomas

I'm very sorry to hear of all you troubles, Steve! I really don't know what to say, I'm at a loss for words. I wish you and all your family the best of health. Although I'm not a religious man, may your God be with you in your times of trouble.

Thanks again guys, you really are the best.

Really I'm more concerned for my wife right now than myself. I'm the type of person who can usually find a way to take things in stride. However, Holly is really in distress right now with her Mother's illness and all of the other things. She's never really been through this kind of stuff before, and with her mother's cancer, it was a total shock. Her mother's only 51 yrs old.

Anyway, it's been a bit of a struggle for me to keep talking her through all of this. I'll persevere though. She needs me right now. And I need guys like to you to cope too. It really is helpful to have friends available 24 hrs a day to share the burden with.

You guys rock. :)
Cheers!

Wow, what a mess EC, I hope everything works out as good as they can. That damn cancer is everywhere, I started realising that when my father got it and many people around me started telling stories about cancer cases in their families and I was overwhelmed over how common it is. I hate that damn desease, it really pisses me off!!! :(