Damnation Tour Setlist @Toronto (Spoiler)

IAmEternal said:
- Soldier of Fortune (Deep Purple Cover)

I believe I read in an interview with Peter that they recorded that song during the d1/d2 session..

- Have Opeth made any cover songs?
- Yes, we covered songs from Celtic Frost and Iron Maiden. We did a cover from Soldier of Fortune this time but finally it didn`t get onto the album.

or maybe the band was called soldier of fortune.

Heh, just go to the DETROIT show...if you can, which is the one I'm definitely trying to go to, isnce I too missed out on the one in Toronto.

Damn, I just can't miss this one...I can't. I just have ONE more chance to make it happen.....

IAmEternal said:
Just got back from the show, and let me tell you.. WOW.
An amazing setlist of mellow songs, though everything could not be included. It also includes a cover, so don't read further if you want to be surprised by which song they cover.

Setlist:
- Windowpane
- In My Time of Need
- Death Whispered a Lullabye
- Closure
- Hope Leaves
- To Rid the Disease
- Ending Credits
- Weakness

-- SHORT BREAK --

- Benighted
- To Bid You Farewell
- Soldier of Fortune (Deep Purple Cover)
- The Face of Melinda

-- END --

It was a wonderful occasion, all the songs were pulled off very well in my opinion. This was the first time they'd played any of these songs in a concert setting, so I think it was a commendable feat. Also, they're great, friendly guys. Can't wait for their return.

You just made my day! I am a huge fan of anything David Coverdale touches and that is a Coverdale era Deep Purple song. That kicks ass that they're playing the entire Damnation album! I was not expecting that actually.

sooo did they play the heavy parts of TBYF or face of melinda?

GODDAMN IT I'M SUCH A DUMB FUCK, I SHOULDA GOTTEN MY NY TICKET!!!

[but i had no place to stay and no way to come back... shoulda slept on the stree!]

Yes, they played it heavy, as well as the heavy part of TBYF (which were amazing). It was nice to see Opeth loosen up a bit and modify some of their songs a little for the stage.

I have some pics, but they're on the next computer and I've yet to transfer them..

This was surely a special moment! It was great! Mike was quite nervous, but I thought it added a cool and natural aura to the atmosphere (I mean it did rule when he fucked up twice during 'Benighted', for those who noticed, and Mike basically smiled it off), and I swear I could have been in tears when they played "Ending Credits" and the Deep Purple cover, and of course 'To Bid You Farewell' ("For all the old-school Opeth fans, even though this is boring to play live" Mike would joke...) was an ultimate highlight!