Damnation Vs. In Absentia

Damnation Vs. In Absentia

• In Absentia

Votes: 52 50.0%
  • Damnation

Votes: 52 50.0%

• Total voters
Is'n it stupid to compare albums on a way like this? :Smug:

Damnation is the better Album, it is more emotional, but In Absentia is even great. :Spin:

They're way too different to make a comparison...hell, I seriously fail to see why everyone thinks Damnation sounds like Porcupine Tree (some even call it a ripoff), and I am very familiar with both bands' catalogue.

I like In Absentia better, but I like Morningrise and Orchid more than anything PT have ever done.

How is that for an unfair comparison :rolleyes:

Awesome comparison! It simply comes down to knowing the albums I guess. I pick Damnation because it simply has more emotion than In Absentia. I can't pick IA for many reasons. I love older PT albums a whole lot more than IA. And the whole craze about Trains is funny to people who have heard all of the PT albums. They have way better songs than that on the older albums. So hearing it on IA is not much for me. I like Heart Attack In A Lay By very much though. The album doesn't seem to flow together if you ask me. Compared to LBS and the godly Stupid Dream. Damnation wins but like someone said earlier,"older PT albums are better than Damnation." The improv by Opeth at the show was stellar! I simply can't pick IA over it anymore after seeing Mike go nuts on those songs!

This is indeed an interesting comparison, even if it is on a biased platform.

In Absentia is the only Porcupine Tree album that intrigued me. It is certainly a good album, and in my estimation, PT's best. On the other hand, all of Opeth's albums intrigue me. Damnation is, again in my estimation, their least involving album. In Absentia is a bit less restrained than Damnation because of Damnation's pre-existing, outlined nature. The instrument work on Damnation is far superior to that on In Absentia. The styles aren't directly related, but they do, at times, faintly echo one another.

Any view on this topic is valid, though. Whether you think both albums are great, and favor one over the other; whether you think one album is far superior to the other; whether you are thrilled with both albums; whether you are disappointed with both albums, it's all understandable and defensible. Both these albums have at times made me feel empathy, antipathy and rapture.

My vote went to Damnation for the justified fear of it losing on it's home ground. That and the instrumentation of Opeth is always inspiring.

In Absentia has some really stand out tracks, but then it has some that really suck and don't fit the flow of the album at all, like that horrible (and I stress horrible) instrumental song in the middle of the CD. Steven Wilson also doesn't have as good as a voice as Mikael does.

Damnation is a much better album, especially since it flows much better from the first track to the last, and contains better songs. That's my two cents.

IA does not flow as well. To me, Blackest Eyes and Trains are similar in style, but nothing after that sounds anything like those two songs really. I just dislike some songs (Strip the Soul, Wedding Nails). If the rest of the album fit the mood of 3, then it would have been amazing. Damnation is much more consistant. Damnation is the better album.

I like both albums. But due to the fact that Opeth is my favourite band they get the "OSCAR".
My favs from In Absentia are "Blackest Eyes", "Trains", "The Sound Of Muzak" and "Heartattack In A Layby". Many of the other songs are just too happy for my favour.
So "Damnation" fullfills my wish for melancholy.... :cry:

Rock On! :kickass:

www.stormofsorrows.de

"In Absentia" easily... I love that album... very diverse offering... while I don't like "Damnation" in the least bit... though I thought I was going to love it... big disappointment... it's really boring.

In Absentia because it is much more varied and Trains is perhaps the best song in years.