Damnit, want that Thomas Miller tone.

Asgath

Standing Without Fear
Jul 20, 2004
Arda
Soooo. I just got a new bass, a Fender Jazz bass (Mexican). Its brand new, and its sweet. Butttt, I'm trying to get my tone near to that of Miller, though I don't want to duplicate it, I'm wondering if anyone can give me any pointer on getting my soudn closer to his, I intend to upgrade the Pick-ups soon, been looking at Dimarzio DP123 J pickups, however I'm open to suggestion. Right now I'v still got the 'stock' Fender strings on, only had the bass about 4 or 5 days, haven't needed to change, but I haven't yet found a set of strings that really gives me what I want tone wise. Anyone have any idea what Miller used/uses?

First of all, get better pickups put in as you suggested doing. Personally, I'd go with some that will give you a warmer, punchier tone like Bartolinis. For strings, I'd go with this set I just bought. The name eludes me as of now. I'll update you on what they are. However, they're expensive but awesome. Also, try to get your action a bit closer to the strings if possible. Me personally, it helps me dig into the strings for a punchier tone. To my knowledge, Miller doesn't play with any groups anymore, thus making it more difficult to know what he preferred.

Asgath said:
Soooo. I just got a new bass, a Fender Jazz bass (Mexican). Its brand new, and its sweet. Butttt, I'm trying to get my tone near to that of Miller, though I don't want to duplicate it, I'm wondering if anyone can give me any pointer on getting my soudn closer to his, I intend to upgrade the Pick-ups soon, been looking at Dimarzio DP123 J pickups, however I'm open to suggestion. Right now I'v still got the 'stock' Fender strings on, only had the bass about 4 or 5 days, haven't needed to change, but I haven't yet found a set of strings that really gives me what I want tone wise. Anyone have any idea what Miller used/uses?

Progbass said:
No one even knows what bass/amp he used, so how could we know about the strings? lol

Hehe, well, I'm sure people have used strings that sound similar to his :)

Bartolini's eh? I'v heard good stuff about them mind. Very expensive though.
I look forward to learning of the type of strings you use ;)

Thanks for the help so far, I'll take everything into account.

Did Thomas Miller use a 5 string? Had a conversation about that today, so yeah.

I'm quite sure he did, you can hear very low bass notes quite often on his songs.

Keep in mind Symphony X always tune their guitars down one full step. I doubt Miller used a 5 string because I have never seen Lepond use one on live shots... MAYBE for TDWOT (the song), but I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure he used either a 5 or 6 string. I know this had been mentioned on numerous occasions back in the day.

And I mean just because Lepond doesn't use a 5/6 string live, doesn't mean that Thomas Miller didn't use one. The two are completely independent of each other. And it's not like Lepond couldn't comp the parts.