Dan Swano on Therion - Theli

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Okay, I've just played this disc through after quite some time and remembered how awesome they are. As you might know, Dan was involved on their Theli album. However, I feel his vocals aren't all that upfront. Anyone else think he's hardly audible in the mix? The booklet indicates he's a singer on the CD, as he's the only one listed as "vocalist" except for the core of the band. One might expect to hear some truly solo passages highlighting his vocals, but it's barely there. Supposedly, Dan sings on tracks 2, 3, 4, and 5, but like I said, he's underused. Anyone else?

On a side note, I basically stopped following Therion after Deggial, but I thought Theli and Vovin are their best. If anyone could talk a tad about their recent material, I'd be happy. I heard Mats Leven is singing for them full-time now. How are those discs with Leven? I've always thought Leven's work with bands like Abstrakt Algebra and Krux were underrated. His recent collaboration with Israeli prog metallers Amasseffer is very good too. I personally had doubts as to whether he could replace Vanden Plas' Andy Kuntz, but to his credit, he's done an impeccable job.

While I'm at it, it'd be great to hear Dan's thoughts on Mats Leven as a singer. And how he was asked to join Therion?

NP: RPWL - The RPWL Experience

Cheers!

Just recently all the core members left Therion leaving Christofer Johnsson on himself. He will continue with Therion though. Levén has also left the band.

I recommend you to check out the albums Lemuria and their latest one, Gothic Kabbla. Both are really great albums, especially Lemuria.

It's been quite awhile since I listened to Theli so I can't really remember it. Guess I'll have to put it on sometime soon.

From wikipedia : Theli (or ThLi, Thele, Teli, TLI, Tali) is the name of the great dragon according to the Sefer Yetzirah. It is said to hold its tail in its mouth, and it is constantly seeking a way to gain entry into heaven. His whole body envelopes the universe.

Vovin (in Enochian language VOVIN, VOVINA means dragon) i

Listen to "In Rememberance" from an EP in this time. I like this song and my work here is cool to. For the rest of the record I was hired to do some goth-stuff. I was never a leadsinger.

Just recently all the core members left Therion leaving Christofer Johnsson on himself. He will continue with Therion though. Levén has also left the band.

I recommend you to check out the albums Lemuria and their latest one, Gothic Kabbla. Both are really great albums, especially Lemuria.

It's been quite awhile since I listened to Theli so I can't really remember it. Guess I'll have to put it on sometime soon.

The band has a very high member turnover, so that's actually kind of normal for them.

Dan's most audible on the Desert of Set on that album, and the song right before it (the name escapes me).

Theli is a ridiculously fucking awesome album. Their newest, Gothic Kabbalah, is also amazing. Those are my two favorite Therion albums (the rest are extremely good too).

damn just noticed Theli is the only Therion I don't have on my ipod yet - must remedy that tonight

as far as later Therion goes I prefer Lemuria and Sirius B - Gothic K doesn't quite do it for me and I think they reached their peak symphonic sound with L and SB - I also like Secret Of The Runes a lot too

although being a balding old death metaller I still love Of Darkness and Beyond Sanctorum and probably still listen to them the most - godly stuff

Dan Swanö;7301544 said:
Listen to "In Rememberance" from an EP in this time. I like this song and my work here is cool to. For the rest of the record I was hired to do some goth-stuff. I was never a leadsinger.

Lucid Dreaming EP... you're right, that's a very, very good song and you did an amazing job. It's #3 all time on my itunes playlist... =)