Dance of Death overview

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
This is pretty interesting - nabbed it off Blabbermouth...

IRON MAIDEN have posted the following "objective" and completely "unbiased" track-by-track "preview" of their upcoming album, "Dance Of Death", on their official web site

01. "Wildest Dreams"
Previewed on the recent "Give Me Ed... Til I'm Dead" tour, this is a dynamic rocker which kicks off the album with a bang. Judging from the number of people in the European audiences who could sing the chorus after only one hearing, it's bound to become a live favorite.

02. "Rainmaker"
Literally a "storming" (!) song, "Rainmaker" is another racy rocker which keeps up the galloping opening pace. And again, after one airing, the chorus is instantly memorable.

03. "No More Lies"
The first of the four 7+ minute epics on the album, this is an opus entirely self-penned by Steve Harris, with typically thoughtful lyrics. The low-key opening gives way to a punchy chorus, with Nicko's drums almost Bonhamesque in their intensity, and the "3 Amigos" also shine on the three-part solo.

04. "Montsegur"
Inspired by an infamous episode in the history of the crusading Knights Templar and powered by thunderous riffs, "Montsegur"'s high-flying arrangement mimics the horror and confusion of the historic massacre.

05. "Dance Of Death"
The centerpiece of the album, "Dance Of Death" is an eerie tale featuring powerful and graphic lyrics and a guitar-based 'devil's trill' that is taken up by the whole band as they whirl away in a demonic reel. Steve Harris' storytelling at its best and most vivid.

06. "Gates Of Tomorrow"
An urgent guitar clarion call builds into a relentlessly fast-paced song, featuring a hard-hitting chorus and enigmatic lyrics. And watch out for the sizzling guitar solo in the middle!

07. "New Frontier"
It's only taken him 20 years, but Nicko enjoys his first writing credit with this tale of the dangers of man trying to play God by subverting nature. That message aside, it's an exuberant uptempo number that kicks serious ass.

08. "Paschendale"
The second song on the album inspired by a historic battle, this time one from the First World War, after a sorrowful opening featuring a needle sharp guitar figure, the band burst in with an instrumental arrangement that sounds like an artillery barrage. Another memorable epic.

09. "Face In The Sand"
Another enigmatic, atmospheric song which piles on the drama as it builds in intensity, it features a big swinging melody which is echoed in the central guitar solo. A slow grower, you'll suddenly find yourself humming the chorus when you least expect it!

10. "The Age Of Innocence"
After the deceptively mellow melodic opening, the mood turns from sorrowful to scathing, as Bruce spits out Steve's lyrics of disillusionment and injustice and similarly, the surprisingly smooth chorus contrasts with the piledriving riffs of the verse.

11. "Journeyman"
Although it features acoustic guitars and strings, there's nothing soft about this album closer, which showcases Bruce's vocals beautifully. Its truculent chorus with its refusal to compromise echoes the sentiments of "Wildest Dreams" and rounds the album off beautifully.

It was recorded in Dolby Surround 5.1 too! I salivate at the prospect now that Smith & Dickinson have had ample time to contribute (if Nicko has a song writing credit, you've gotta assume that 'Arry opened the forum for all to have a go)...:cool:

Catchy choruses, 4 epics (7+ minutes), 2 songs based on war history, acoustic guitars and string sections....I am saluting the British Empire right now in more ways than one. :tickled:

So to all the people who are stuck in the past and listen to types of music that came out more than a week ago, any thoughts...?

:Spin:

JayKeeley said:
01. "Wildest Dreams"
Judging from the number of people in the European audiences who could sing the chorus after only one hearing, it's bound to become a live favorite.

Given that the chorus is only "woooh-ooooh Wildest Dreams!" if my memory serves me rightly, I think this might be going a tad heavy on the self-congratulations ;) that little nitpick aside though, I am honestly severely excited reading that. I simply cannot wait for this album now. Like before, I'll be getting the posse together and marching down to the shops on the day it comes out...might even be able to get it early if I'm lucky ;)

Ayeka said:
Given that the chorus is only "woooh-ooooh Wildest Dreams!" if my memory serves me rightly, I think this might be going a tad heavy on the self-congratulations ;)

:lol:

"Caught somewhere in time,
Caught somewhere in time,
whoa whoa whoa"

and repeat. :)

Best chorus ever!! :headbang:

Like before, I'll be getting the posse together and marching down to the shops on the day it comes out...might even be able to get it early if I'm lucky ;)

Will they do a midnight release the night before? I like when Tower Records do that in Picadilly Circus where they open the doors at 12:01am, heh.

JayKeeley said:
:lol:

"Caught somewhere in time,
whoa whoa whoa"

and repeat. :)

Best chorus ever!! :headbang:

:lol: How could we forget The Trooper now, eh? :headbang:

Will they do a midnight release the night before? I like when Tower Records do that in Picadilly Circus where they open the doors at 12:01am, heh.

We're not so privileged down my end, although a friend of mine went to reserve a copy of Marilyn Manson's new album three days before it was out and was kindly sold a copy...at our dandy local independant record shop. I'm counting on the same thing happening for me ;) :cool:

I thought the chorus to "Wildest Dreams" went something like

"III'M OOON MY WAY!
III'M OOON MY WAY!
III'M OOON MY WAY!
III'M OOON MY WAY!"

phyre said:
I thought the chorus to "Wildest Dreams" went something like

"III'M OOON MY WAY!
III'M OOON MY WAY!
III'M OOON MY WAY!
III'M OOON MY WAY!"

:eek: Ooooh, you are so right, Sasami!

I had the same tune in mind but forgot the words!!!!! :eek: :mad: :cry: :cry: :cry: