Listening to dance of death... the album...

Keyser Soze said:
Face in the Sand IS Blood Brothers... starts just like it...
I don't know, tr00e for the first 30 seconds, but most of the song is actually very good and original IMO o_O I like the buildup. Give me chills. :loco:

I must agree with most of what you say, but I think No more lies is Educated Fool on steroid. Not a bad thing, I love both songs... :cool:

My brief 2 cent review of DOD:
Wildest Dreams- nice opener. Simple, upbeat, rocking tune. I like the uplifting element that Adrian seems to add to the lyrics on some of Maiden's songs.
Rainmaker- catchy.
No More Lies- love the anger in Bruce's voice.
Montsegur- Yes. Maiden simply rocks like Maiden.
Dance of Death- features some killer, lengthy guitar solos. Reminiscent of Phantom and Hallowed. I like Harris's story songs and the imagination he puts into his lyrics. IMO one of Maiden's alltime best songs.
Gates of Tomorrow- cool Van Halenesque intro.
New Frontier- interesting subject matter.
Paschendale- Maiden.
Face In The Sand- great lyrics. Love the way Bruce belts them out and the changes his voice. Some interesting guitar sounds and Nicko's constant kick pedal heartbeat are cool.
Age of Innocence- Maiden takes a mature look at life.
Journeyman- On first listen, thought Kansas was gonna start singing "I close my eyes, only for a moment and the moments gone..." Flat out great song and closer. Love Bruce's defiance in the chorus.

All in all, a lot of diversity and very enjoyable album. Some straight out Maiden rockers and some building epics. Good guitar jams and Maiden lyrical content. It's nice to see Maiden can still put together a quality album for the fans and do not rest on their back catalog. 3 current faves in order: Face in the Sand, DOD, Paschendale.

smylex said:
...the same could be said for Harry's bass work on BNW. Did we really need the galloping bassline on 8 of the 10 tracks on that album? :ill:

When listening to DoD I wish there were more galloping basslines.

MiniMurray said:
is it me, or has steve's bass tone changed a bit....less midrange....maybe he's made some adjustments because of the three guitars.
I don't know. Perhaps more treble? I do remember the levels check just before Maiden hit the stage at Irvine when Steve's bass came out through the front of house.

I've recreated the sound through my Line6 Bass Pod and had to cut the bass to ridiculously low levels.