What do the Iron Maidens think of Dance of Death?

Wraithchild

Jun 26, 2003
Somewhere in Arizona
Visit site
Jen, Wanda, Jojo, Sara, and Linda, what do you think of Maiden's new album "Dance of Death"? Any favorites and/or songs you would like perform in future concerts yet? If you need a few days to respond I understand. I am still trying to pick my jaw off of the floor; it is stuck in the awe position. :)

I have to admit I was getting nervous because of some of the very poor reviews on the IronMaiden.com BB written by poser Maiden fans, but those fears instantly vanished upon my first listening of Dance of Death.

All I can say is WOW! I thought Brave New World was awesome, but, in my opinion, Dance of Death surpases their previous effort.The diversity on DoD is incredible! Some songs sound like 80's Maiden, others like 90's/2K Maiden. Everyone has got to love that DoD is an hour & eight minutes long!

So far my favorites are No More Lies, Montsegur, Dance of Death, Paschendale, and Journeyman. The title track is my absolute favorite on the entire CD. Let's hope Maiden doesn't make us wait as long for their next album.

Uh, I'll shut up now so I can post this and hear from the ladies of the Iron Maidens. ;)

PS: A belated Happy Birthday to Linda; we were both born on 9/7. :wave:

Bruce Chickinson said:
I love BNW and I hear DOD is ever better. I've been swamped this week preparing for the upcoming shows...maybe I can get me a copy and listen while driving to Vegas tomorrow. I can't wait to hear it.

See me when I get home! :Spin:

Personally, I really haven't gotten too into the album, but then I've been listening to Bootsy, Tool and Björk (yes, again) all week and I finally got the Supporters Edition of the Einstürzende Neubauten CD, so I've not really been in the headspace for Maiden. I do like Journeyman and the second track the most off it, though.

the first thing i listened to was the guitars- technically stunning :D i didn't think dave's tone could get any sweeter, and adrian and janick are SHRED ON TASTY. nicko's song, new frontier is my fav right now. at the end you can hear the room breathe! i think all the tracks are great. mostly i'm liking listening to it. great mix- i'd love to hear it in 5.1 hella loud. nice 'round' analog sounds, and recording with no click track puts a nice flow on things. bravo!

It's $11.99 at Best Buy, a steal iff'n ya ask me!

Not a big fan of the cover.... I miss Derek Riggs! The cover looks like someone was playing with the 3D modeler Poser and tossed something together. Just because something is computer generated doesn't mean it looks kewl. hehehh... I miss those wicked-ass metal-lookin' paintings.

Overall, I think the CD is pretty good. Nothing pioneering for our boys of iron, but solid, worth the investment. I still need to give it a few more spins, but overall, it catches my ear.

I can't wait to see them perform the new toonz live.

Okay, we got a good review from Sara; what do the rest of you gals think of Dance of Death now that you've had some time to reflect?

bassbitch said:
Not a big fan of the cover.... I miss Derek Riggs! The cover looks like someone was playing with the 3D modeler Poser and tossed something together.

It's rumored that Riggs and Maiden parted ways because Riggs wanted to renegotiate his contract since Maiden has become more successful. Riggs has recently been doing some very cool cover artwork for the European power metal bands Stratovarius and Gamma Ray.

I am not crazy about the DoD artwork myself (the band photos have nice effects), but at least the music is awesome.

Derek left from doing artwork for the band for a number of reasons. One being that it was his sole work for the last 20 years. Another reason is that frequently he would be contacted on a Friday to have the cover-art to them by that Monday.

While many rumors have cicrulated it was bad blood, I've read two seperate interviews with Riggs where he did not bad mouth Maiden at all.

To quote him "I was in a long term contract with Maiden which I had to extricate myself from...I didn't want to be in that anymore...and I've been doing the odd album cover and a few bits of artwork" ... I came out of the Iron Maiden contract because I hadn't worked for anyone else for a while, which was part of the contractual agreement."
as well as "...I'm not doing a lot at the moment...I stopped for a while I got fed up with it. I've just been doing the odd bit."

Hope that helps. Don't belive the dross you read on the IM boards..

-HobbesDawg

Wraithchild said:
It's rumored that Riggs and Maiden parted ways because Riggs wanted to renegotiate his contract since Maiden has become more successful. Riggs has recently been doing some very cool cover artwork for the European power metal bands Stratovarius and Gamma Ray.

I am not crazy about the DoD artwork myself (the band photos have nice effects), but at least the music is awesome.

The more that I listen to this album, the more I hate it!

It's CRAP!

Usually if I flat out hate an album I bought, I'll either return it, trade it in or give it away. No point in keeping something I don't like. DoD definately beats the 90's material IMO.
Back to the topic...
so Mini & Steph like DoD.... What do Chickinson, Nikki & Adrianne think?

ROTLD said:
Usually if I flat out hate an album I bought, I'll either return it, trade it in or give it away. No point in keeping something I don't like. DoD definately beats the 90's material IMO.
Back to the topic...
so Mini & Steph like DoD.... What do Chickinson, Nikki & Adrianne think?
There's a song on there that I don't particularly care for and currently I can't get it out of my head...swimming around in there. Naughty song! Naughty song! I miss Bruce's back up vocals frankly. I love a lot of the tone on the album. The bass sounds fabulous. Some of the songs are reminiscent of others like TLOTLDR and Ghost of the Navigator...it's definately Maiden but it's also fresh. I wouldn't say it's NOTB era but a definate mixture of later stuff w/ a new take. I'm a huge fan of King Diamond and vocal effects and back ups and the vocals are fairly dry...If I had one thing I'd change, that would be it...but hey...maybe because I'm a vocalist. I like Wildest Dreams...a real toe tapper...happy song. There are others that I probably like too but I've been letting myself hear the album very sparingly...kind of a little game I play with myself.