Info on each DOD song from IM.com!!

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Ooh.

WILDEST DREAMS
Previewed on the recent 'Give Me Ed... Til I'm Dead' tour, this is a dynamic rocker which kicks off the album with a bang. Judging from the number of people in the European audiences who could sing the chorus after only one hearing, it's bound to become a live favourite.

RAINMAKER
Literally a 'storming' (!) song, 'Rainmaker is another racy rocker which keeps up the galloping opening pace. And again, after one airing, the chorus is instantly memorable.

NO MORE LIES
The first of the four 7+ minute epics on the album, this is an opus entirely self-penned by Steve Harris, with typically thoughtful lyrics. The low-key opening gives way to a punchy chorus, with Nicko's drums almost Bonhamesque in their intensity, and the '3 Amigos' also shine on the three-part solo.

MONTSEGUR
Inspired by an infamous episode in the history of the crusading Knights Templar and powered by thunderous riffs, 'Montsegur's high-flying arrangement mimics the horror and confusion of the historic massacre.

DANCE OF DEATH
The centrepiece of the album, 'Dance Of Death' is an eerie tale featuring powerful and graphic lyrics and a guitar-based 'devil's trill' that is taken up by the whole band as they whirl away in a demonic reel. Steve Harris' storytelling at its best and most vivid.

GATES OF TOMORROW
An urgent guitar clarion call builds into a relentlessly fast-paced song, featuring a hard-hitting chorus and enigmatic lyrics. And watch out for the sizzling guitar solo in the middle!

NEW FRONTIER
It's only taken him 20 years, but Nicko enjoys his first writing credit with this tale of the dangers of man trying to play God by subverting nature. That message aside, it's an exuberant uptempo number that kicks serious ass.

PASCHENDALE
The second song on the album inspired by a historic battle, this time one from the First World War, after a sorrowful opening featuring a needle sharp guitar figure, the band burst in with an instrumental arrangement that sounds like an artillery barrage. Another memorable epic.

FACE IN THE SAND
Another enigmatic, atmospheric song which piles on the drama as it builds in intensity, it features a big swinging melody which is echoed in the central guitar solo. A slow grower, you'll suddenly find yourself humming the chorus when you least expect it!

THE AGE OF INNOCENCE
After the deceptively mellow melodic opening, the mood turns from sorrowful to scathing, as Bruce spits out Steve's lyrics of disillusionment and injustice and similarly, the surprisingly smooth chorus contrasts with the piledriving riffs of the verse.

JOURNEYMAN
Although it features acoustic guitars and strings, there's nothing soft about this album closer, which showcases Bruce's vocals beautifully. Its truculent chorus with its refusal to compromise echoes the sentiments of 'Wildest Dreams' and rounds the album off beautifully.

http://www.ironmaiden.com/?section=1&subsection=0

You wouldn't expect IM.com to write up anything but a positive "preview" of their product. But from all the reviews I have read, it certainly indicates Maiden have come up with some fresh new ideas in their songwriting which I am looking forward to hearing.

Blitzkrieg - I agree, all the reviews do seem to be describing the songs in the same manner. The only thing that has varied is the like/dislike as expected.

One french mag gave "Rainmaker" a pasting, yet everyone of the punters who got on the listening bus and heard the first 4 tracks said Rainmaker was brilliant.

I guess I'm being guarded about getting too excited, cos' I don't want to be dissapointed. But I have a feeling this album will be far more enjoyable than BNW, which i do actually like.

All you people who never get excited about anything just in case it sucks should be 6 feet under in a pine box because you obviously dont want to enjoy anything just in case it sucks. For crying out loud, theres nothing wrong with actually *gasp* looking forward to something! :) Come on, you know you want to :)

I've been looking foward to every Maiden album prior to its release for the last 13 years and everytime I have been dissapointed in one way or another. Yet i still rush out and buy them on the day of release or before when I can. So I AM looking forward to DoD, I'm just not believing the hype.

I was very happy with BNW when it came out, and was not really disappointed at all. It is a good album, and yes it has its fuck ups and could be much better, but that doesn't mean I was disappointed because of it. I remember the first time I heard 'The Wicker Man' and almost had my fist in the air it rocked so hard. :headbang:

The wait for SSOASS was HELLISH. Awful, awful wait, especially as I had gotten into Maiden after SIT and so I hadn't had to wait for a Maiden album before. Strangely, the wait for NPFTD wasn't so bad, probably because of Maiden England and all the reissued singles (First Ten Years, folks).

spawn said:
All you people who never get excited about anything just in case it sucks should be 6 feet under in a pine box because you obviously dont want to enjoy anything just in case it sucks. For crying out loud, theres nothing wrong with actually *gasp* looking forward to something! :) Come on, you know you want to :)

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

:gasps for breath:

Okay, okay...I admit it. I AM hanging for Dance Of Death to be released, I have been since the start of the year following the Caveman diaries......BUT IT'S TEARING ME UP INSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :loco: