Quick review of DoD!!!

The_Prisoner

I died at Paschendale
Sep 30, 2002
The land of many crows...
Visit site
This was translated from French Mag "Hard Rock" and posted on the IM BB. I don't know how legitimate it is, but it has only appeared in the last 24 hours. Apparently, Maiden had a contractual agreement with the press, where if they gave them an advance copy of DoD, the press couldn't talk about it until July 14.

Anyway, here it is:

From hard rock mag issue 93 (with metallica and maiden in cover)

Danse of Death
We had the chance to listen in advance the new iron maiden album, Danth of Dance, first impressions ...

Wildest dreams (smith/H) 3'53
This title is very "rock n roll" and seems strange as an opener. The chorus ("im on my way, i'm gonna break away)
is great and the guitar solo very rock n roll also. A great song live

Rainmaker (Murray/Harris/Dickinson) 3'48
Classic in his structure, this song is based on chords instead of riffs. Strange at the beginning it is great when
the chorus come

No More lies (Harris) 7'21
the Into with the Bass like the clansmann tells it will be an epic one. It's a mid-tempo song
with some synth in the background. The chorus "No more lies" is a bit repetitive. The instrumental part
with the 3 guitarsts playing their solo is quite long , this song is strongly based on melodies

Monstegur (Gers/Harris/D) 5'50
Strange song, one of the strangest song with journey man
(This one is not quite detailled)

Dance of the Death (G/Harris) 8'36
The big one of this album, probably the best one.It begins on a "Fear of the dark" intro-like with 3 acoustic
guitars , great effect. this song seems really inspired by progressive rock. The pace speed up after each break until an ending which
sound like the beginnig. the long instrumental part after the solos should gather some "ohhohh" in the live version.

Gates of tomorrow (G/Harris/D) 5'12
An "For those about to rock" intro style like to lead to a great rock song, this song was not very imaginative , maybe a 2nd
listen should be necessary to be really objective.

New Frontier (g/Harris/McB) 5'04
This is the song we like the less , fast but not original it sound like the thousands of other heavy /speed metal bands, the verse sound not like a maiden song at all.

Pashendale (H/Harris) 8'27
The intro is made with tapping, then after voice and bass , and finally all the band. Some synths in the background, a complex one ,with Dod this is one of the big one of the album. Very progressive this sound got also some dark melodies , a lot of different parts.

Face in the Sand (H/Harris/D) 6'30
Again an epic one, into with acoustic guitar with alot of synths , sound like a title of the Blaze era.

Age of Innoncence (Murray/Harris) 6'10
The song sound like some Dream Theater stuff (!!), it is complex and also and has some dark mood

JourneyMan (H/Harris/D) 7'07
Only played with acoustic guitars , no distortion at all , arpegios with violins (synths ?) , with a soft Dickinson voice , the melodies sound like Bruce solo stuff. This title is maybe the most
original sonud maiden has never done , and it ends the album greatly

I always have a problem with advance reviews, especially in foreign languages because they never seem to be able to express their thoughts very well when they're translated into English. Still sounds rather good though.

The_Prisoner said:
Age of Innoncence (Murray/Harris) 6'10
The song sound like some Dream Theater stuff (!!), it is complex and also and has some dark mood

I always knew Janick could play rings around that hack Petrucci.

But come on, you are curious and want to know what its like :) Same with St. Anger etc. :)

Yeah you don't want to put too much stock into what one person's opinion is, but still it at least sounds like Maiden have tried to do some different stuff on there. Good or bad I don't know, but it looks like we'll be in for a few surprises anyway which is always good.

spawn said:
I always knew Janick could play rings around that hack Petrucci.
:lol:

I agree that if that shit is true it should be a good album. I am sure it will be good anyway, but that review sounds very promising. Dark sections, solo Bruce and Blaze era inspired stuff, Dream Theater esque prog sounding stuff, SIT era sounding stuff, better use of three guitars, more songwriting from Adrain.....it sounds very promising. :headbang:

Deny it all you want Mark, that Petrucci cant even jump around the stage while he is playing. Hack.