Daniel Liljekvist

katatonic_fear

God of Apathy
Dec 4, 2004
Colorado
I don't know if there's already been a topic about this, but does anyone notice how well Daniel Liljekvist is? Even in Last Fair Deal Gone Down, and more so in Viva Emptiness, his drumwork is quite good. He definitely has his own style, and is very crafty. Quite impressive, I must say. He's become one of my favorite drummers. Just cause you're not doing 300bpm blast beats doesn't mean you're not good.

Yes, I have noticed the same thing. He really has his own special style of playing drums, it brings more energy to Katatonia's music.

*taken from " Montreal " on june 6th 2004
... was so good!.
P1000183.JPG

stefan86 said:
Yeah, he's good. I loved the simple patterns on "Discouraged Ones" though. Perfect for the music.

Except that was Jonas, not Daniel. And the drums in DO are a lot like the one's in BMD...Just a random observation.

I don't mind Jonas' drumming on Discouraged Ones or Swano's on Tonight's Decision, but Daniel's is fucking 100x more interesting and KILLER live! Got to talk to him a bit in Montreal too, really nice guy!

Yes, Liljekvist is the shiz :)
he does an outstanding job on LFDGD. Although it's a shame he didn't join the band for Tonight's Decision, since the drumming on that record is quite mediocre.

On record he's really good, especially on LFDGD it's just perfect, performance and soundwise. But live I was disappointed, he speeds up and slows down too often within songs, it's just not like on the albums. Not that it has to be 100% alike, but he strays off too much i.m.o., it negatively affects my experience of the concert.

Just like John Douglas of Anathema, fine on record, but live... crap!

Great drumming on VE and LFDGD, but I don't think his aggressive-like drumming fits the atmosphere of DO. Album-drums of DO is perfect for what it's meant to be.

I think his Live drumming is the shit.....I didnt notice any slowing and speeding up.....I also thought he was the most easily accessible one in the band....really easy going and laid back....a very personable guy...we hung out for a few on June 4th of this year and he was super cool.

So my OPINION is that whether its live or on CD he is an excellent drummer, in fact the little bit he did different than on CD I though was awesome. Super solid in my opinion....couldnt fit in Katatonia better.

coronerox said:
Daniel definately is a very good drummer, in LFDGD it's an awsome drumwork....
Definitely, the best Katatonia drums ever recorded, performancewise and soundwise, but live he just has a different groove than on record and I didn't really like it, especially older songs 'changed' too much with his playing.

I see you're playing Blackfield, great stuff eh?