DARK EMPIRE SEEKS DRUMMER

Iced Dog said:
So Matt, can I assume Jens will be at the vocal helm once again? Will we hear more growls from both of you? I thought that was a nice element, especially the dichotomy effect in A Soul Divided.

Yep, Jens is still very much a part of Dark Empire. And yes, there are more growls, all but one of the songs I've written so far have growls in them. The interplay between growl/clean is a bit stronger now too, with some lines being sung by both simultaneously, etc. We're not sure how we'll divide them up just yet, although it will probably be like last time where he did the shorter parts and I'll do the longer ones (I guess he doesn't want to put too much strain on his voice).

I really can't wait for people to hear the stuff. I can certainly say I'm not rehashing Distant Tides, theres a definite evolution in sound to the point of us settling into our own voice much more. To compare it to DT, overall there are more thrash elements, more progressive elements, and less power/neoclassical elements. There won't be any instrumentals on this one, but the solo sections in some songs will make up for that ;).

As production moves on maybe I'll try to get a demo clip up on the myspace or something for people to hear :).

I'll comment on the whole "looking metal" thing. Obviously the playing is the most important part, and maybe the way the list reads the metal look part sounds more important than it is, but its a factor nonetheless. Simply put, a band does have to "look right." People will notice and comment on when a member sticks out like a sore thumb. I remember when Derek was still in Dream Theater and had the whole rockstar thing going on and the rest of the band didn't. I was a member of the Ytsejam mailing list at the time and people would always make remarks about how Derek didn't look right or look like he fit in with the band. So its really more that than anything else.

And btw John you definitely are metal. :lol: :headbang: I agree long hair does not the metal make. Two words: Bruce Dickinson \m/

No dude, it's asshat remember?

Speaking of, did you ever see the pic of other matt that ari made for him of the ass on his head? That was hillarious.

Shit, i think i just blew the mystical rockstar cover haha... sorry other matt, i know you're trying to be professional. it's all in good fun :)

Yngvai X said:
Yep, Jens is still very much a part of Dark Empire. And yes, there are more growls, all but one of the songs I've written so far have growls in them. The interplay between growl/clean is a bit stronger now too, with some lines being sung by both simultaneously, etc. We're not sure how we'll divide them up just yet, although it will probably be like last time where he did the shorter parts and I'll do the longer ones (I guess he doesn't want to put too much strain on his voice).

I really can't wait for people to hear the stuff. I can certainly say I'm not rehashing Distant Tides, theres a definite evolution in sound to the point of us settling into our own voice much more. To compare it to DT, overall there are more thrash elements, more progressive elements, and less power/neoclassical elements. There won't be any instrumentals on this one, but the solo sections in some songs will make up for that ;).
sweetness, can't wait to hear it :kickass:

Wow...that was not a long search.

We got a drummer! And trust me, this guy absolutely smokes. We felt he was hands down the perfect guy for the job, so there was no need to hear anyone else. We'll be announcing him along with the tracklist and album title sometime next month. He plays for a band that some of you might already be familiar with...

Is it Animal from Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem?

animal%20Drums.jpg