Dark Genesis

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
Well Travis, I finally got my copy of Dark Genesis and I have to say the layout is brilliant, nice work :D

I was a little bit disappointed with Axels drawing on a couple of the new album pics as it seemed very rushed, and not as detailed as the Alive In Athens stuff he did (especially the Burnt Offerings pic) but the colouring was *really* great, especially the lighting effects (like the lightning and the eyes on some of the pics). I even had a few people at work take a look through it when they saw it on my desk because it looked so good, and they wouldn't know Iced Earth from the Bee Gees.

Not that it matters too much, but the Enter The Realm pic is my favourite one, anything grim reaperish gets my vote as being cool.....

One thing I wondered though (and again, this doesnt matter too much in the grand scheme of things, just something I WISH they had done), why the heck they didnt get you to recolour the original Night Of The Stormrider cover i'll never know, it looks awesome, but theres too much black in it, how great would it look with some of those lightning effects and mist and so on that you put on the new stormrider pic? The actual rider looks great, and it would be even better if they let you add some effects!

Anyway, thats my 2 cents :D

I bought Low by Testament as well because they finally had a copy. Nothing to do with this thread, but holy CRAP its a great album! Shades Of War rocks! :headbang:
I also bought Rain Of A Thousand Flames by Rhapsody because the cover was really cool (yeah I know, talk about an impulse buyer), but its pretty much crap in the music department, I think you have to play it while you slay dragons to get the most out of it or something...... :)

Thanks Very Much. I haveent got a copy yet but i did see it in
a store and thought it came out nicely so far.

well actually, I love the original stormrider
and really didnt want to redo it at all. I even told axel we should
try to talk jon out of it. HAHA. I like what we did but i dont think
it is better than the original.
I think axel did some cool shit and when i first got it, it scared me.
to add to something you said, his burnt offerings pic actually looked
better before i colored it. really. and on the athens stuff danny is pretty
much responsible for that one as i think he took axels original sketches
and redrew it, keeping everything in the same composition.
actually that one has a few stages and i was actually thinking
of posting one of those things where you can see all the stages from start to finish.

T

Originally posted by Seems like Trav

actually that one has a few stages and i was actually thinking
of posting one of those things where you can see all the stages from start to finish.

T

You MUST do that! :)

The original Stormrider is one of my favourite album covers as well, like I said, it would look even more awesome with some effects added, but then I guess it wouldnt have fit in with the rest of the new stuff.

I actually thought the AIA stuff looked a little different to the DG stuff, I know Dani Miki is a brilliant inker, but I didnt know he was a great penciller as well, damn these multi talented bastards making us mortals look bad. :lol:

(Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question :D)

So when you get the finished pencils, do you ink them yourself, or just scan them straight in and do the colouring?

I had a whole other thing written out but my stupid pc crashed and so I have to write it again, which I cant be bothered doing cause im lazy, suffice to say, it was about how cool vinyl is and that Im getting Horror Show on vinyl as well. Cds sound better, but gatefold covers for LPs should never have been made redundant! (Plus im trying to track down all the other Iced Earth/D&W albums on vinyl as well but thats a story for another time....)