Dark/Heavy/serious power metal?

Lol at "serious power metal"
Anyway, except Morgana Lefay, and the king of this "category" that is 'Into The Mirror Black', you'll find bands that combine power metal with doom metal to be probably near what you want. Abstrakt Algebra and the later albums of Memory Garden ("Verdict Of Prosperity", "Mirage") are close to what you want. Also if you want it to have some progressive touch, check Fifth Reason, especially "Psychotic", but "With or Without" is also killer and Memento Mori of course, mostly their first 2 (the second one being their most "power metal").Strangely all these bands are swedish and shared members from time to time.

Try out Slough Feg - Traveler, it isn't "dark" or "heavy" or too serious (it is a concept album based upon a fuckin' sci-fi text RPG) but it is amazing and better than most all power metal out there.

Destiny's End and later Helstar are obvious choices. I think maybe what you're looking for is what is considered 'True Metal' these days. Try some Manilla Road (Open The Gates, The Deluge), Brocas Helm (Black Death, Defender Of The Crown), Holy Martyr, Omen (Battle Cry), Ironsword, and Twisted Tower Dire. Also, maybe some early 90s Running Wild and Grave Digger...and Rage.

Not a very well known band, but i think theyre awesome. I want to get them slightly more known :D

http://www.myspace.com/thaurorodtheband

Also, theyve probably been said before but i haven't read every post, but Twilightning are an awesome Power metal band (with an 80s influence)

My Twilightning Myspace Fanpage

..and others that have probably also been said:

Nocturnal Rites
Firewind
Warmen
HammerFall
Altaria
Thundercross
Power Quest (not very 'dark')
Aquaria (also not 'dark'.. and symphonic too)
Sonata Arctica
Sabaton
Pyramaze
Edguy
Stratovarius
Dream Evil
Dragonland
Concerto Moon (kind of Neo-Classical)
Avantasia
Angra (also symphonic)

Not a very well known band, but i think theyre awesome. I want to get them slightly more known :D

http://www.myspace.com/thaurorodtheband

Also, theyve probably been said before but i haven't read every post, but Twilightning are an awesome Power metal band (with an 80s influence)

My Twilightning Myspace Fanpage

..and others that have probably also been said:

Nocturnal Rites
Firewind
Warmen
HammerFall
Altaria
Thundercross
Power Quest (not very 'dark')
Aquaria (also not 'dark'.. and symphonic too)
Sonata Arctica
Sabaton
Pyramaze
Edguy
Stratovarius
Dream Evil
Dragonland
Concerto Moon (kind of Neo-Classical)
Avantasia
Angra (also symphonic)

Excellent list. I'd like to add though, that some bands there, are not what the thread starter may look for. Dragonland is kinda 'ho-hum' and Avantasia isn't dark too.

Angra, Pyramaze & Firewind are the best in that list.

Okay, the fuck :eek:

Virgin Steele. Get EVERYTHING they have released from The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part 1 and onwards. They all kick so much ass.