Dark, heavy, prog metal

_JC_

[insert title here]
Aug 20, 2007
Hey. Ive been looking to get into prog metal, but I dont know where to start. I am looking for some prog metal that is really dark and really heavy. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Lol, I guess I was asking for that one one. I already know of Opeth, and they sound like they are good and talented, but I just cant seem to get into them. I cant put my finger on why, I mean I dont think they are a bad band...they are just not my thing. Maybe they are not heavy enough for me....I dunno. Thanks for the rec though :)

Not heavy enough? I didn't know prog metal could get much heavier.

Maybe you're looking for some tech/math metal, i.e. Meshuggah? Of course, there isn't much in the way of melody in that genre, from my understanding - mainly crazy rhythm work.

Not heavy enough? I didn't know prog metal could get much heavier.

Okay, I feared not. Like I said, I have very little experience with in the genre. I heard a small bit of it over my friends house (he was playing Dream Theater and Evergrey) and thought it sounded interesting, but it wasn't heavy enough for me to get into. Well, thanks anyways.

getting it in before anybody else does: Disillusion. Specifically Back to Times of Splendor and The Porter. If you enjoyed Opeth, you may also want to look into Farmakon. They're a bit more experimental than Opeth. Also Nahemah's The Second Philosophy.

getting it in before anybody else does: Disillusion. Specifically Back to Times of Splendor and The Porter. If you enjoyed Opeth, you may also want to look into Farmakon. They're a bit more experimental than Opeth. Also Nahemah's The Second Philosophy.

Weird, I just listened to The Second Philosophy for the first time tonight, since a friend of mine gave me a copy of it. I can't say I liked it - the melodies were pretty boring, and it had a rather generic melodeath sound to it. A few parts did remind me of Opeth, but Opeth have a lot more subtlety (and talent).

How would you describe Farmakon? Anything like Nahemah?

Mathiäs;6646341 said:
Threshold.

And early Opeth is very heavy.

1) Threshold isn't dark (on their latest album at least, which is all I've heard)

2) Early Opeth isn't very heavy. My Arms, Your Hearse on is heavy; the first two albums, hell no.

Another recommendation: late Emperor.

Okay, I feared not. Like I said, I have very little experience with in the genre. I heard a small bit of it over my friends house (he was playing Dream Theater and Evergrey) and thought it sounded interesting, but it wasn't heavy enough for me to get into. Well, thanks anyways.

Give Opeth another chance. And Listen to as much of their material as you can. You will probably get into them eventually....

I'd also recommend Agalloch, they are more progressive folk/black metal........but still, a great band nonetheless, and definitely worth checking out.