Clean Vocals

IronLung

Guitarist
Feb 19, 2008
I'm looking for as many metal bands I can find that use 100% clean vocals by which I mean no grunts, shrieks, screams, or harsh yelling. I especially enjoy thrash, prog metal, and flamenco metal but am turned off by the extreme vocals many modern metal bands employ. That is not to say I don't enjoy heavy guitars and manic double bass drumming but already 90% of all metal music I listen to is instrumental due to my feelings towards dirty vocals.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Nevermore and anything Power Metal is about all you can hope for.
You could try Gojira or Opeth as well, they have sections with clean vocals, but still incorporate the Death and Grind vocals in points.

Just curious, what flamenco metal bands do you listen to? Only one I know of is Flametal.

Okay first things first, obviously I have heard of Yngwie and Iron Maiden so if your gonna come in to this thread and insult it and myself why bother making a recommendation. Besides I didnt say I wanted to listen to power metal did I, in fact I stated quite clearly I was looking for modern metal with clean vocals (which in my opinion is a good question as there is seemingly no bands with this format.) As for the second poster I do enjoy Opeth's instrumentals and clean style vocals but the second I hear any growling etc Im immediately turned off. Finally as for other flamenco metal try the following, Breed 77, Medina Azahara, Marc Rizzo, Diablo Swing Orchestra.

Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Wuthering Heights, Falconer, Katatonia, In The Woods (after 'HEart Of The Ages'), Warning, Nevermore, Riverside, Pain Of Salvation, Ayreon

Okay first things first, obviously I have heard of Yngwie and Iron Maiden so if your gonna come in to this thread and insult it and myself why bother making a recommendation. Besides I didnt say I wanted to listen to power metal did I, in fact I stated quite clearly I was looking for modern metal with clean vocals (which in my opinion is a good question as there is seemingly no bands with this format.) As for the second poster I do enjoy Opeth's instrumentals and clean style vocals but the second I hear any growling etc Im immediately turned off. Finally as for other flamenco metal try the following, Breed 77, Medina Azahara, Marc Rizzo, Diablo Swing Orchestra.

I was not insulting you. In my opinion your post was not specific enough and there are many styles of vocals in Metal which could all be judged as harsh in some way. Also, there is more than one entire genre of Metal with all clean vocals.

Heavy Metal - Iron Maiden, Judas Priest
some Thrash Metal - Megadeth
Power Metal - Nevermore, Dragonforce
Traditional Doom Metal - Candlemass, Cathedral, Solitude Aeternus
Doom Metal - Avrigus
Folk Metal - 3rd and the Mortal
Gothic Metal - newer Within Temptation, old Theatre of Tragedy
Progressive/Gothic/Hard Rock - Nightingale :kickass:

:cool:

My mind blanks.

Most things other than power metal or straight heavy metal, and possibly goth metal, involve "harsh" (You big girl :p) vocals, but don't really have the hard-ness you're looking for.

Maybe Kiuas or Blind Guardian. Abit more hard hitting than most power metal bands.

I dont see how Nevermore and Dragonforce are at all comparable, except maybe vocals. But anyways, how does that explain modern metal, instead of being a douchebag and dictionary.com'd the words, why wouldnt you list examples of bands that you consider modern metal.

These all have clean voxx:
Savatage - Hall Of The Mountain King
Bathory - Hammerheart, Nordland I
Testament - The New Order
Tad Morose - Matters Of The Dark

Now then...
SUCK IT UP
Honestly...disliking guttural vocals is one thing, but if you can't stand harsh vocals then you won't find much metal you can tolerate.

Yo, found out about Diablo Swing Orchestra a few days ago, I LOVE THEM!

Some bands in the same vein I like:

Unexpect (heh had to mention them :p)
thy Catafalque
Fleurety
Aberrant Vascular
Atrox (nor)
Carnival in Coal
Sigh

they pretty much all have operatic vocals/clean vocals. I'll check the other bands you mentionned since that's mostly what I've been listening to lately.

you probably would like also:

Believer
Gentle Giant

these two are less heavy though.

Kiuas; clean vocals with a bite.

Also Falconer, Kamelot, Sabaton.

And more recent Therion material uses clean vocals and isn't power metal. Albums:
-Secret of the Runes
-Deggial
-Lemuria/Sirius B
-Gothic Kaballah

I agree with what's been said in the thread so far. Power metal and old school thrash & doom are probably the only metal with clean vocals.

But I second the rec for Nevermore and also mention the obvious Black Sabbath. And how about Candlemass. I only have their latest album but no harsh vocals on there.

You need to stick to power metal, trad doom, and traditional heavy metal. So there are plenty of bands you would like. However, you probably won't find anything with tremolo picking, blastbeats, super heavy guitars, etc. that has all clean vocals.