Depressing metal

_JC_

[insert title here]
Aug 20, 2007
This recommendation isn't really a hard one, it just escapes a particular genre limitation of any kind. I'm looking for some really depressing sounding metal that has a medium to high tempo. No power metal or slow-ass doom metal, other than that, genre's be damned. A good example of what I am looking for is the album V Halmstad by Shining (which was the original inspiration for this thread). I would have just poked around in suicidal the black metal realm a bit, but every band I ran into had some really atrocious production (something I am not a fan of). So Im turning here. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Down - NOLA

Also, I second Type O Negative. Some of their albums/songs are kinda slow though.

Tristania*, For My Pain, Lacrimas Profundere, Flowing Tears, other assorted Gothic Doom.

*Not Gothic Doom like the rest, just regular Gothic metal.

Listen to Hatebreed. It's so bad you might kill yourself.
Pretty much:heh:

Don't know many bands/albums that are generally depressing, but songs...
Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden makes me feel like all that is beautiful in the world has turned to refuse. Now, not only are Soundgarden not metal, but they suck. Still, if you want depressing, that song is pretty damn depressing.

At The Gates aren't depressing per se, but pretty gloomy. Lyrically, that is.
Trail of Broken Hearts by Dragonforce is strangely depressing...I think it's in ZP's voice...If those guys started making serious music I think the universe would explode under the collective awesomeness. Power metal ballad, though...

One Rode To Asa Bay and some of Bathory's other viking metal is kinda depressing, because the story is pretty tragic. I think there are some other viking bands that have some truly depressing stuff.

Trivium. Hearing them always inspires thoughts of sweet death.

Early Soundgarden is actually metal. And it's actually not bad tbh.

Opeth: my arms, your hearse
Katatonia: brave murder day
Daylight Dies: dismantling devotion
Rapture: futile
Paradise Lost: gothic

Early Soundgarden is actually metal. And it's actually not bad tbh.

Soundgarden are a classic band and superunknown,badmotorfinger, and down on the upside are mandatory. I still not have heard their older albums and as far as I know are out of print, soundgarden do have some really depressing songs like Limo Wreck and The 4th of july and others.