Dark Tower series ends November 2004

Sonnenritter

Jul 31, 2002
Appalachia
www.myspace.com
I was just looking around and seen that Stephen King has set the final Dark Tower book (volume VII) to be released on November of 2004. Book 5 is due out November 2003 and book 6 is due summer of 2004. And for those that listen to audio books, George Guidall is going to be the reader since Frank Muller hasn't recovered from that motorcycle accident. Anyway.. do you think Roland will actually make it to the tower? I'm thinking Roland will sacrifice Jake, Eddie, Susan, and Oy in the end to make it to the tower. Roland has that sort of quality.

Roland used to be a badass, in the first book.. i think king "rounded out" his character too much. haha, actually it cant be helped, i jsut miss the enigmatic gunslinger from the first book.

and susannah is one annoying-ass character. the whole "split personality" thing was really heavy-handed...

i heard that one of the coming books will be set entirely in modern day. I dread that book, since i found those the most boring parts of the series...

i think roland will make it to the tower. I hope he ditches his "katet" or whatever the fuck its called (havent read books in awhile hehe)

I think Thanatopsis is right. I don't think Roland will sacrifice any of his mates on the way; he's going all softy and dedicated and wouldn't do a thing like that. Having said that, Mr King dude might want to surprise us and turn Roland into a daemoniacal self-seeking badass near the end when the Tower is within reach, leading him to sacrifice everything, only to end-up getting nothing! ahem. well, i dunno.

I hope the new stuff improves.....the drawing of the three was shite (the modern stuff, i agree), and the closing details of their journey at the very end of wizard'n'glass were just getting stupidly surreal and over-fantastical, what with the stupid little red magical shoes and other random crap I can't remember.

I hate it when King ruins his stories by getting too supernatural or magical. Fuck man, that's how he ruined Rose Madder (not that that was going anywhere anyway) and...well, I can't remember but you know what I mean.

I would say that somewhere along the line...King totally lost control over the Dark Tower series...I still think that the Gunslinger was the best book of the series, because of the possibilities it opened...then the others end up being too...explicit, I suppose.
I miss the aura of almost surrealism that surrounded the first book...

Also, yes King somtimes goes over his head over the whole "terror" thing...like he did with Insomnia..I really hated that book.

I think Roland MAY die but when his ka-tet reaches the tower they will find him pent inside and all that and free him. Hopefully he wont die because, goddammit its ROLAND!!!! Do any of you realize the huge scope of this series? Re-read Dark Tower 1 - IV and then HEarts in Atlantis part 1. When I read that at the end I was so fucking excited and anyone with any familiarity with the Tower that read that would agree with me. Insomnia, at the end it shows the kid Ralph saved drawing a Tower with a figure on it with guns drawn and he explains to his mom "Hims name is Roland. Hims a King" Godly. And in Black House the Crimson King makes another appearance (need to read this supposedly it deals with the Crimson Kings origins) ALSO in the Gunslinger Walter talks about Roland facing an IT at the Tower, its guardian. Well didnt IT die? In Dreamcather when Underhill and Henry get to Derry they reach a statue that the "Loser Club" put up in memory of all the kids that were killed BUT spraypainted on it in a "faded red the color of roses" (not sure if thats an exact quote) it says "Pennywise Lives". Man I am so excited about the conclusion of the series Ive been waiting for these books for years.

Ben

I like Stephen King's books, but never read anything from this Dark Tower series.. Can anyone give me a quicklesson about Dark Tower? (without revealing too much) The title makes me think of fantasy.... but King doesn't write that stuff or...?

Crusader said:
I like Stephen King's books, but never read anything from this Dark Tower series.. Can anyone give me a quicklesson about Dark Tower? (without revealing too much) The title makes me think of fantasy.... but King doesn't write that stuff or...?

It's fantasy, but not the cliche Tolkienesque medieval style fantasy. A gunman called Roland is heading towards a place called Dark Tower and lots of things happens to him and to people who join him. But there's of course lots of more depth in the books than that. It's more of a book(series) that binds other King books together and there's traces of Dark Tower "mythology" other King books and traces of other King books in Dark Tower-books.

Just read them. You won't be disappointed.

Voice of God said:
It's fantasy, but not the cliche Tolkienesque medieval style fantasy. A gunman called Roland is heading towards a place called Dark Tower and lots of things happens to him and to people who join him. But there's of course lots of more depth in the books than that. It's more of a book(series) that binds other King books together and there's traces of Dark Tower "mythology" other King books and traces of other King books in Dark Tower-books.

Just read them. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks, but I haven't seen them in swedish so if I read them, then I will buy the english ones... but I got so many books right now to read... a halfread Rainbow Six (780 pages total)... two books by King, and one more by Clancy.... next summer maybe or by the winter I can read the Dark Tower books.. :erk:

Hmm I lost interest in Stephen King when he went so long between book 3 and book 4 (not *because* he took so long, it just happened in the same time period). Would be nice to know wtf happens in the story, so maybe I'll pick up the rest of the books once he finishes them; I'm just not a big enough fan of his anymore to wait anxiously for each and every word, though.