OT: Dark Tower 7

The Man

Franks and beans!
Feb 4, 2002
Gautier, MS
bigfatcatharsis.150m.com
having just finished dark tower 7 book last night i thought i'd get some opinions from anyone else who read it. first off, i was kind of pissed that jake, eddie, and oy all had to dies and then susannah takes off to another world. i guess it all makes sense though. roland trulay wasn't meant to enter the tower with anyone else. it did make me happy that susannah wound up in another version of new york with eddie and jake as brothers and her memories of the other world fading. so now she has a chance to live a happy life with the people she came to care for the most. i was kind of disppaointed that the crimson king was taken out of commission so easily and in just a few pages. it was interesting that only his eyes were left so he can never truly doe, but now he has to just watch everything for eternity.

and what did you guys think about the ending? i was kind of pissed at first, but when i got to thinking about it i realized there really wasn't anyplace to go with the plot after he reaches the top of the tower. it was roland's life journey to reach the tower, so what better to happen after that than his life starting over again where the series started. it was a little strange that the horn made such a difference in the story.

overall it was good. the end did feel a little rushed to me, but i've felt that with other books too, and not just king's work.

I don't know, i'm still struggling with the end. I don't want to write anymore spoilers here though. Regardless, I think this was the greatest story ever. Yes, better than LOTR. Just my opinion.

prime666 said:
Hell I just finished book four. I'll post a review in about a year.
And The Man spoiled it for ya! :D

DON'T READ (below) UNLESS YOU WANT MORE SPOILERS!!!!

I loved the Dark Tower! It's as good as The Stand and The Green Mile (my other favorites).
I actually got choked up when Eddie died, and when Roland suggested planting a rose on Jakes tomb. And also when Susannah left, and Roland sat at her Door and covered his face with his hands.
At first, when I read the ending, I too thought 'what the fuck???' But there's no other way it could've ended.

Check out Scott's new Alpha Mail (I'm in it).:wave:

I loved the Dark Tower! It's as good as The Stand and The Green Mile (my other favorites).
I actually got choked up when Eddie died, and when Roland suggested planting a rose on Jakes tomb. And also when Susannah left, and Roland sat at her Door and covered his face with his hands.
At first, when I read the ending, I too thought 'what the fuck???' But there's no other way it could've ended.

Check out Scott's new Alpha Mail (I'm in it).:wave:[/QUOTE]
Tad, I know what you mean, when Eddie died, I got chocked up too. I felt like one of my friends died, I had to stop reading for awhile. After reading their story all these years it felt like they were friends. When I first got DT7 I just let it sit there for like a week. I didn't want to start reading it because I knew it was the last one and there would be no more. I've never really re-read a book before, but I started from the beginning again and i'm up to W&G now. I have to say re-reading it is great, a lot of things fall into place.
Supposedly, the guy who made "Donnie Darko" wants to make a movie of it. The only way I want to see that is if it's done on the scale of LOTR, because that's the only way to do it justice.

i want to read this thread but i'm afraid there are spoilers. I'm 200 pages away from the finish and eddie and jake have died and i'm expecting Suse and Oy to die as well just like suse said it would be very much like a writer to do that. realy though it shocked the hell out of me when eddie and jake died. I was expecting roland to die and pass on the role as dinh to jake his adopted son. But now it makes sense. Roland alone in the end like he started. But damn it's replacing #2 as my favorite. I realy didn't like #6. I dunno... it just seemed like he was trying to get that part of the story over with.
anyway i'll post my thoughts on the ending when i finish it.
-Jono-

Eddie was my favorite of the ka-tet. I felt the same way Bigphat felt, like I lost a friend.
Scott told me he heard that they might make an animated film of it, or something.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one choked up by Eddie and Jake dying. I wanted to reread it to make sure I read it right, but couldn't do that. Eddie was my favorite out of all the Stephen King characters. Susannah always seemed to piss me off for some reason, so I wasn't choked up when she died. Jake dying just plain fucking sucked ass, but not as much as Eddie dying. I was already desensitized, like when 2 of my dogs died within 2 days of each other, first one knocked me so far down, I was too shocked to really do anything when the other died. It made me real happy to have them come back in that alternate New York. Hopefully not the one that Captain Trips visited. And I thought Roland was going to die too. Also, on Roland pretty much restarting over, does it seem to you like SK left it open that since Roland has the horn now, something else might happen?

Riehlthing said:
Glad to know I wasn't the only one choked up by Eddie and Jake dying. I wanted to reread it to make sure I read it right, but couldn't do that. Eddie was my favorite out of all the Stephen King characters. Susannah always seemed to piss me off for some reason, so I wasn't choked up when she died. Jake dying just plain fucking sucked ass, but not as much as Eddie dying. I was already desensitized, like when 2 of my dogs died within 2 days of each other, first one knocked me so far down, I was too shocked to really do anything when the other died. It made me real happy to have them come back in that alternate New York. Hopefully not the one that Captain Trips visited. And I thought Roland was going to die too. Also, on Roland pretty much restarting over, does it seem to you like SK left it open that since Roland has the horn now, something else might happen?
see, i've been thinking about that too. since it basically starts over at the beginning with a bit of an alteration to teh story does that mean that roland is back on the same quest as before? does that mean that randall flagg is alive, and that there are the same number of beams again and the breakers are at work? and what baout the crimson king? is he around again? since it starts over with roland having no memory and him chasing walter again that would that mean that the other characters are alive in that universe again? i was kind of pissed when i read the ending, then i heard others opinions and sort of accepted it, but now i've had a while to think hard about it and i'm pissed again. why couldn't roland get to the top and be stuck to guard the tower forever or something like that? it would have left some openings, but not as many. i wanted more closure to such a long story.

Tad, I know what you mean, when Eddie died, I got chocked up too. I felt like one of my friends died, I had to stop reading for awhile. After reading their story all these years it felt like they were friends. When I first got DT7 I just let it sit there for like a week. I didn't want to start reading it because I knew it was the last one and there would be no more. I've never really re-read a book before, but I started from the beginning again and i'm up to W&G now. I have to say re-reading it is great, a lot of things fall into place.
Supposedly, the guy who made "Donnie Darko" wants to make a movie of it. The only way I want to see that is if it's done on the scale of LOTR, because that's the only way to do it justice.[/QUOTE]
to make a movie of this story you'd have to find a young, healthy director and actors who could commit about 10 years of their lives to a single story. that's the only way you could ever do that story justice. lotr was only 3 books and look what kind of effort it took to finish it. everyone involved in the movie invested years out of their lives. and can you imagine the cost of a dark tower movie? holy shit! it would definitely be the single most expensive movie ever made.

I thought that was how SK was going to end it. Having Roland there to stand guard for eternity.
But what you said also, is everyone still alive? Is the world at what it was at the beginning of Gunslinger, just with the Horn also? It's a different ending, and it does go against what I thought would happen. So I like it in that regard.

I thought Roland was going to die by saving SK, and I thought his ka-tet would make it to the tower without him.
I'm glad I thought wrong.

ThraxDude said:
I thought Roland was going to die by saving SK, and I thought his ka-tet would make it to the tower without him.
I'm glad I thought wrong.
i thought the same. he did a realy good job of surprising me.

As far as the ending I thought the door slamming shut was perfect. and he did warn that you should stop reading and be happy with that ending. SO i'll take that as the ending and be happy.
-Jono-

Jono said:
i thought the same. he did a realy good job of surprising me.

As far as the ending I thought the door slamming shut was perfect. and he did warn that you should stop reading and be happy with that ending. SO i'll take that as the ending and be happy.
-Jono-
Dude, you are not serious! :lol:
Are you?:err:
The ending at the end is better than the ending before the end.

ThraxDude said:
Dude, you are not serious! :lol:
Are you?:err:
The ending at the end is better than the ending before the end.
ok lemme rewind here. i did like the tour through the tower. that was pretty badass and very fitting. I just thought the little slip of letting us know it's ok cause he found the horn was i dunno ... forced? other than that the ending was perfect. Now a book telling the story of the battle and him finding the horn would be realy badass. sort of a prequel but not realy a prequel.
-Jono-

I'm going to re-read The Gunslinger (revised edition).
There's a lot of stuff in there that relates to the end of DT VII.
If you have the revised hardcover of The Gunslinger, read page 219 and see what Walter tells Roland... :D