ot/The Dark Tower

Jeffasin

Rebel Scum
Feb 14, 2002
Echo Base
Visit site
I know there are more than a few of you who are into the Dark Tower series (meself included) and are anxiously awaiting the next book ('specially since the last one sucked out loud). Here Stephen King interviews himself and talks about the NEXT THREE books and when we might see them....

Stephen King Interview

j

Oh, and there's a pretty decent Gunslinger story in Everything's Eventual. It's called "The Little Sisters of Eluria".
I finished that story two days ago. If you like the Dark Tower series, you should check it out!

actually if you want to find a cheaper copy it's in an older book called Legends, it's edited by Robert Silverburg and it's in Mass Market paperback and is much cheaper than the big ass hardback, Everything's Eventual, which I heard wasn't that great. But the Little Sisters of Eluria is awesome. plus this book has more stories by different fantasy writers that are realy good.
-Jono-

Dude, I liked Wizard And Glass. It showed how Roland was and showed you how his character was, and how he got the way he did. Somewhat. Now, there are still lots of holes left about Roland. Like why he killed Alain w/ Cuthbert's aid.

Yeah! I can't fucking wait for Wolves of the Calla.
I got my sister hooked on the series as well. She just finished Wizard and Glass.
That book was killer!

I know, I'm in the same boat Brat! I myself have read "The Dark Tower", and "The Drawing of three" but I never made it through "The Waste Lands". Loved "The Drawing of three", great book!

Cheerz!

AugDawg

Well, I don't recommend reading the second one first and the first one second to anyone. Damn I was lost. My sister has every Stephen King book ever printed in hardcover (thanks to me, since I bought at least 80% of them for her, bday, Christmas, etc.) and I couldn't find the first one for some reason, so I read the second one while I waited til she found it. I think this week I'll start over and do it right this time.

The first book is only ok, but if you don't read it then the beginning of "The drawing of three" doesn't really make sense. I won't give anything away, both great books! I remember that I did like the first 100 pages I read of the "Waste Lands" but never made it any further.

Cheerz!

AugDawg

I think the Dark Tower series just keeps getting better.
The Gunslinger--good
The Drawing of the Three--better
Wastelands--Long, but even better
Wizard and Glass--best (thus far)
Of course there are other stories that have to do with the Dark Tower like:
Hearts in Atlantis--Very good
Black House--even better
"The Little Sisters of Eluria"-- very good

bRaT- Read all the above books in the order I have listed them.

I need your help guys. Thanks to Thraxdude especially, I wrote down the order of the books. I too stopped reading King, but for me it was after I read the Tommyknockers. I had read Four Season, Misery, It and then The Stand and - like Maiden w/ their albums - felt that Tommyknockers was like No Prayer for the Dying -- it blew! ( the only thing good was the Pennywise cameo in the book). But I too stopped halfway thru Wastelands because I felt Roland was just dragging. His character wasn't really going anywhere and I felt cheated and stopped caring. Sadly I felt the best of King was behind him.

So what I need to know is how do the other related stories apply to the Dark Tower saga. And which other King books should I read. Take it I've read all his old school books up to say Tommyknockers.

At one point in my life, Stephen King was THE most influential person (meaning writer) in my life. But I just got away from him. Can you guys help me out and possibly re-connect? Thanks.

Geez. I don't know how to explain it without putting the whole stories here. It's mainly the characters of the stories who are linked to the Dark Tower.
You should re-read the Wastelands, finish it, and then read the rest of the stories I listed-in order.
"The Little Sisters of Eluria" actually takes place before The Gunslinger, but it's better if you've read Wizard and Glass before you read "The Little Sisters of Eluria".
Pretty much everyone of Stephen King's books are connected a little bit here and there.

Wastelands does kind of drag on, but it's worth it. And Steve mentions Anthrax in there.

I don't know what else to tell ya.

Thanks man. It's funny cuz today at work I met this customer who had a Stephen King book in her hand (Needful Things) and I actually got excited talking about his books. Ironically enough Thraxdude, she pretty much said the exact things you said about The Dark Tower in your response! You aren't by some chance a 23 year old female who lives in L.A. and goes to UCLA are you? LOL!!

Needful Things was good but ruined for me because my dickhead science teacher walked up to me and told me the ending when I was only 1/3 way through it!!! Made every page turn a damn chore, I tell ya. I stopped reading King after Bag of Bones. Not sure why. I haven't read anything since that came out. I think the ending profoundly disturbed me. I don't know what came out before or after Tommyknockers, but Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne are good and also tie to each other. I'm sure I'll think of plenty more once I get off here, too...

Originally posted by anthraxgod
Ironically enough Thraxdude, she pretty much said the exact things you said about The Dark Tower in your response! You aren't by some chance a 23 year old female who lives in L.A. and goes to UCLA are you? LOL!!

Um. No.:)