The Dark Tower Thread

And so my journey with Roland and his ka-tet comes to an end. 7 excellent books (and various companion books) making up one epic story.

All I will say is that the very ending of the 7th volume is perfect. Say thankya.

I also finished the final volume today, after having spent the past month in obsession. Without describing the ending in any detail, I'm almost entirely satisfied with the way it turned out, and the book itself succeeds in tying together the loose ends and providing a sense of completion.

J. said:
And so my journey with Roland and his ka-tet comes to an end. 7 excellent books (and various companion books) making up one epic story.

All I will say is that the very ending of the 7th volume is perfect. Say thankya.
Any of the companion books worthwhile?

oh definitely. Low Men in Yellow Coats (the first book in Heart in Atlantis) is very good, and tells the story of Ted Brautigan. Insomnia is awesome, and one of my favorites, and tells the back story of Patrick Danville, but also offers more insight into the Tower and the Crimson King. I haven't read Black House.

Some other books tied to the DT Series are It, The Stand, Eyes of the Dragon, and many more.

February 13, 2007 - IGN has exclusively learned that J.J. Abrams is poised to direct The Dark Tower, based on the Stephen King literary series.

Sources advised us that an official announcement is forthcoming. We have been unable to determine whether Dark Tower will be a film project or a TV miniseries, although the latter is a more likely prospect given the complex nature of King's seven-book series. Given Abrams' success on the small screen -- and King's well known love for the Abrams-produced TV series Lost -- the tube seems a better fit for The Dark Tower.

Sources also added that Abrams is indeed only producing Star Trek XI. It was recently reported that Abrams would not direct Trek XI, as many had assumed, but would instead turn his attention to a secret Paramount project titled Cloverfield. Might Cloverfield be a codename for The Dark Tower? Or a completely separate project?

(Interestingly enough, Entertainment Weekly did an interview last year with King, Abrams and his Lost producing partner Damon Lindelof, who reportedly brought a rare first edition of The Gunslinger to the meeting.)

Often described as King's magnum opus, The Dark Tower, as Wikipedia reminds us, "tells the tale of lead character Roland Deschain's quest for the 'Dark Tower.' The Dark Tower is often described in the novels as a real structure, and also as a metaphor. Part of Roland's fictional quest lies in discovering the true nature of the Tower. The series incorporates themes from multiple genres, including fantasy fiction, science fantasy, horror, and western elements."

"In the story, Roland is the last living member of a knightly order known as gunslingers. The world he lives in is quite different from our own, yet it bears striking similarities to it. Politically organized along the lines of a feudal society, it shares technological and social characteristics with the American Old West, as well as bearing magical powers and the relics of a highly advanced, but long vanished, society. Roland's quest is to find the Dark Tower, a fabled building said to either be, or be located at, the nexus of all universes. Roland's world is said to have 'moved on,' and indeed it appears to be coming apart at the seams — mighty nations are being torn apart by war, entire cities and regions vanish from the face of the earth without a trace, time does not flow in an orderly fashion; even the sun sometimes rises in the north and sets in the east. As the series opens, Roland's motives, goals, and even his age are unclear, though later installments shed light on these mysteries."

This news about J.J. Abrams comes on the heels of Marvel's recent launch of the limited comic book series The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born.

dunno. hope they can make it work. still :kickass:

Graphic novel adaptation in the works too, according to King himself (saw him do a reading a couple months ago). And he's considering doing for the whole series what he did for the first book - i.e., revising and re-releasing - just because they were kinda rushed out. On one hand, it's kind of a cheap out and could be seen as a money-grab; on the other, a story this ambitious deserves to be done right. And I think there's a lot of unrealized potential, chiefly in Mordred and the Crimson King, but also in some of Roland's backstory (who the fuck was Jamie DeCurry, anyway?) It could be worth it.

Regardless, despite being ultimately flawed by his rush to the finish line, the series is very enjoyable - great characters, some moments of brilliant prose, inventive world-building and a really engrossing storyline.

i still have lots of questions even after reading the books, some of them twice. but seriously, the series is one of the best ive read. i know many people here are anti-King for some reason or another, but this is bigger than the man and his mainstream appeal.

rumor has it the final piece of Jake Sawyer's story is in the works

Mordred bugged me. To me, the whole thing with him was just there to dispatch Flagg, who by the way was King's best villian ever only to die stupidly and too easily.

we never learn Patrick Danville's fate, and he didn't die "saving two men, one of whom must not die" from Insomnia

Jake and Eddie should be dead. They died in "the real universe" or whatever.

Pennywise from It was great in the last book.

Mordred bugged me. To me, the whole thing with him was just there to dispatch Flagg, who by the way was King's best villian ever only to die stupidly and too easily.

we never learn Patrick Danville's fate, and he didn't die "saving two men, one of whom must not die" from Insomnia

Jake and Eddie should be dead. They died in "the real universe" or whatever.

Pennywise from It was great in the last book.

Agree totally on all four points. The last two books in particular were a let-down, even though I feel the actual ending was perfect.

The worst aspect for me was The Crimson King himself - after all that build-up, what a fucking gyp!

"EEEEEEEEE!"

Fuck off, King.

I thought he did a good job building suspense with Mordred (although he does fall into the trap of unnecessary foreshadowing common in the last three books here), though I agree with the complaints about having him kill off Randall/Walter/whatever. Not as seriously lame as having the Crimson King literally erased away...now that's inexcusably lazy writing. I still contend that the series is unfilmable.

yeah, Danville "killing" the Crimson King was a major disappointment. after seven books of hearing how evil and powerful he is, he ends up sending robotic bombs. major rip.

still, i love the series.

Yeah, it's still in many respects an amazing body of work - epic in scope, populated with memorable and believable characters whose development is both logical and excellently charted, stuffed to the gills with fantastic imagery, etc... Shame that King rushed so hard to get the story finished and allowed himself too much self-indulgence - for the first half of the series, he held off admirably from making up too many words in the High Speech, keeping things plain and accessible but still otherworldly - by the end of the series, we've got Devar-Toi, Can-Toi, Taheen, Ka-Shume, and various other terms bandied about indiscriminately, without any real need for them.

The first book in the series owns all of them. I refuse to read the "revised" edition because the original was pure genius.

"Go then. There are other worlds than these."

i thought the first thre were excellent, with my fave being The Wastelands. wizard and glass was cool too. the last three were good, but yeah, felt rushed

The one thats all about Roland's teen years and his affair with the 16 year old bint. Yeah, that one ruled.