NR - Now Reading

TX Metal Cowboy

Picture Boy
Sep 25, 2004
College Station, TX
Hey we're intelligent folks 'round here. How about a now reading post...

NR- The Dark Tower VII by Stephen King

This is such a rich and fantastic series. Clearly puts King above everyone's assumption that he is just a horror writer.

Heh, the last DT book I read was Wizard & Glass. I've purchased the remainder of the series, but haven't read them yet because I want to re-read the whole series from the start (along with a few of the related books) which is going to take a lot of time. Plus I kinda feel like once I do that I won't have anything to ever really look forward to reading again. IMHO Stephen King is the greatest fiction writer of our generation.

Right now I'm reading the first book of the Prince of Nothing trilogy. Not bad, but I'm having a hard time caring about several of the main characters, which makes reading their sections somwhat tedious.

NR: I finished "The Dream-Hunter" by Sherrilyn Kenyon, and I loved it! Action throughout the whole book, cool characters, and best of all it includes a search for Atlantis and lots of stellar Greek gods! It's technically a love-story, but certainly the most creative I have ever read! It's not sappy! Don't worry :p

Sherrilyn is great. Back when I was doing Dragon*Con's website, I got an email from her asking if she might be invited as a guest. I had no idea who she was, so I checked her out on Amazon. "Holy shit! Sales rank: #17 in books?!"

Now, she is the only 'paranormal romance' writer we welcome back every year. She's also a member of a fairly exclusive mailing list I'm on that caters almost exclusively to vampire fiction writers, and she posts occasionally. (Ruthven on the PP forum is the list creator and moderator.)

NR: Footfall, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

complete list: http://www.paulcashman.com/curr-boo.html

Sherrilyn is great. Back when I was doing Dragon*Con's website, I got an email from her asking if she might be invited as a guest. I had no idea who she was, so I checked her out on Amazon. "Holy shit! Sales rank: #17 in books?!"

Now, she is the only 'paranormal romance' writer we welcome back every year. She's also a member of a fairly exclusive mailing list I'm on that caters almost exclusively to vampire fiction writers, and she posts occasionally. (Ruthven on the PP forum is the list creator and moderator.)

NR: Footfall, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

complete list: http://www.paulcashman.com/curr-boo.html

Wow, I really had no idea that anyone else here would even know Sherrilyn Kenyon! I picked up The Dream-Hunter in the airport in February because of the alluring eyes on the cover, then promptly bought it after seeing it had to do with Atlantis!

"Paranormal romance" is the perfect description!That book is easily one of my all-time favorites and I greatly anticipate reading more of her works! I had no idea she was #17 either! Awesome!

:headbang:

NR: 3-quarters of the way through Ghost Walk by Heather Graham. It's okay, but is taking way too long to develop. It feels as though it's leading up to just one really big event, instead of an intricately-spun story webbed with uncommon surprises like Kenyon's book I mentioned above. Ghost Walk does have an addictive quality (probably just a need for something to happen) :lol: and really makes you feel like you're part of the setting, modern-day New Orleans. Maybe I'm in for a huge surprise that will launch the novel into my top favorites, but I kinda doubt that it'll even make it to my "keep this book" shelf :rolleyes: I better finish it before I totally throw it under the bus. :lol:

Hey we're intelligent folks 'round here. How about a now reading post...

NR- The Dark Tower VII by Stephen King

This is such a rich and fantastic series. Clearly puts King above everyone's assumption that he is just a horror writer.

Dude!! Is this part of the Gunslinger series?? This series was the most brilliant thing I've ever read - especially The Drawing of the Three. Until - He lost his way. The next one, it was eveident he didn't know where he was going. Then, the 'prequel' looked like stalling to me. I'm not criticizing Stephen King - I read a passage by him in which he says he may never finish this series.

Let me know what book or books are after the prequel (Wizards and Glass??). He even refers to "the beam" in several other books. He also tells a great story, but with very few exceptions, his endings are anti-climatic or just dumb (refer to "It")!!

Chris :headbang:

Dude!! Is this part of the Gunslinger series?? This series was the most brilliant thing I've ever read - especially The Drawing of the Three. Until - He lost his way. The next one, it was eveident he didn't know where he was going. Then, the 'prequel' looked like stalling to me. I'm not criticizing Stephen King - I read a passage by him in which he says he may never finish this series.

Let me know what book or books are after the prequel (Wizards and Glass??). He even refers to "the beam" in several other books. He also tells a great story, but with very few exceptions, his endings are anti-climatic or just dumb (refer to "It")!!

Chris :headbang:

Chris man you need to catch up! He has finished the series now and has tied pretty much everything he ever has written into this thing!! I am reading the last book now. There is even a comic now on his days with Cort, Cuthbert and the rest before the world moved on...

Dark Tower

Just finished Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill (reluctantly known as Stephen King's son)...what a great ghost story!...highly recommended!

Rock on!

I am currently reading "The Book of Fate" can't remember the author but this is a pretty decent book.